• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Makes the 800 down on Power? (lots of 2 stroke info)

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
havnt really torn into my motor yet but...with cat and doo making 155+ hp, poo making 145hp, lets take a look

pipe design, cat and doo are both pulling 155+ hp out of relatively cramped pipe and can set ups inside their chassis's, also i dont know what the angles on the stock pipe is, shallow diffuser tapers=broad powerband but low top end, shallow baffle cones=broad power band and not as good top end numbers, steep tapers on the pipe diffuser(sometimes called a megaphone)=narrow powerband and good top end performance, steep baffle cones=narrow powerband with good top end performance and a very steep over-rev power drop off...i havnt really looked at mine but if any of you know these specs it would help everyone understand what the pipe is designed for, are the diffuser tapers steep or shallow? is the baffle cone steep or shallow?

y-pipe design, while i havnt looked alot under the hood, i do know...the y-pipe is angled upwards...this is a very big no no, reason being is...the exhaust port tunnel drops downward, the exhaust port in the cylinder is about 1 inch higher than where the y-pipe bolts to the cylinder, and when you angle the y-pipe upwards it will disrupt flow of exhaust and weaken the exhaust pulses from the tuned pipe, now i havnt looked into the y-pipe much, but it should have a very gradual direction change to minimize the flow disruption, if it changes in a fairly short time and isnt well rounded off a redesigned y-pipe could get up to 2-4 hp in bottom end and midrange with a probable 2 hp on top

Can/muffler design, can looks fine, and even if it is a bad design it will not impede hp by more than 2 at most

Cylinder heads, dont know what they look like, or what the stock compression ratio is supposed to be for year to year, but a wide squish band will reduce heat and will fight off detonation, if you move the combustion chamber to the intake side you will further fight off detonation because it will be away from the hot exhaust side and on the cooler intake side of the cylinder, the angles in the combustion chamber also have affect, steeper angles make more top end power and shallow angles make mid range and low end, bikeman claims no hp with cylinder head redesign with stock compression ratio, only leaning out and better cooling capabilites

Fueling, im not clear on the exact specs on the cfi, but ive been told the injection is pointed towards the boost port(away fromt exhaust), not sure about fuel mapping, and when the injector fires, and when it stops, but if it is pointed toward the boost port, i assume you can pick up lots of hp with staggered porting(more on this later), and usually carbs will bring more hp than fuel injection...if any of you know where the injector is located, and where its pointed, please spill the beans as it will help me, and everyone else understand why the poo isnt making the power as the other 2

Porting, I have no idea of what the ports inside this motor look like, but tall exhaust ports make for good top end, and narrow powerbands, wide exhaust ports make for good top end power with out the affect of a narrow power band, but reduced piston ring life, transfer ports can be messed with to little affect unless something else major is done to induction, exahust port, and exhaust pipe, taller than stock transfer ports make for fuel/air loss out the exhaust port(shouldnt be an issue if the cfi is actually effective at minimizing fuel loss out the exahust), and crankcase being filled with exhaust at low rpm's from exahust blowing into the transfer ports and into crankcase on the exhaust return wave, transfer port angles also matter, transfer ports that angle upwards will flow fuel/air streams that all slowly, and easily meet together in the upper cylinder, transferports with no angle send fuel/air streams across the top of the piston crown to crash together at the rear of the cylinder(away from exhaust), this leaves a pocket of unscavenged exahust at the top of the cylinder, port staggering can take care of this because the boost port is still angled upwards towards the top of the cylinder, port staggering is when the transfer and boost ports are all opened with different timings from one another, port staggering can make more hp at the top end and midrage, or all through out the powerband if the transfer ports have no angle...if you know the specs on the cfi ports please post, transfer angles, and if they are staggered(all open at different times from one another)

Crankcase, high crankcase compression(low crankcase volume) will help in pushing the exhaust out of the cylinder and pushing a fresh charge of air into the cylinder, meaning more hp, it also will increase the amount of fuel/air lost out of the exhaust when you are below the power band(again, should not be an issue if the cfi injection system was actually effective at reducing fuel loss out of the exhaust), bikeman claims 4 hp from more cylinder volume with their cylinder spacers and longer piston from their durability kit, they told me there was not enough volume in the crankcase to begin with so when they added volume they got better breathing with more air getting into the cylinder, this may or may not be from smoother airflow into the transfer ports, if you know what the crankcase looks like, tell us if there is any airflow blocks to the transfer ports and to the boost port(bad crankcase to cylinder matching), or if there isnt that much volume

reeds, boyeson claims 4 hp with their reed valves, reeds dont seem bad

Oiling, despite what you might think, most of the time...MORE 2 stroke oil makes MORE power, due to better lubrication and better cylinder wall to pistion sealing, while it may not be as crisp on the throttle, more oil usually means more power on top and in the midrange, turning up the pump isnt really effective for oiling because the fuel injector will spray gasoline onto the cylinder wall and wash the oil away, turning up the pump a little, and mixing your gas is effective

Bore x Stroke, the polaris has a larger bore than stroke, this isnt where power is being lost

adding lots of little things will all add up to big things, etec (153-158 hp) from 145 is deffinitly easy to grasp, the cat is 158-161, it is certainly possible to get there cheaply if we all know a little more on the subject, so if you have any info please post if you have pictures of a torn down polaris 800, please post up aswell

discuss your theories

Last edited:

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
One of the things I've thought of repeatedly is the fact that with the polaris motor you can run 87 octane containing up to 10% ethanol. Polaris gets away with doing that by running very low compression compared to the other two to avoid detonation. I've looked at cats and doos gas caps and they both say minimum 91 octane on them (both were 2011's maybe they've changed since then?). Polaris does have the different octane settings but that can't make up for the low compression they are running. If you throw a head on the polaris motor that bumps your compression up you have yourself a motor that runs about the same HP as what the other two have. My theory here could be flawed (I've been wrong before) but that's why I think they have less HP. One thing I love about the polaris motor is the low end power they have. The factory HP seems to get me in trouble enough the way it is but more is always nice to have.

Last edited:
R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
One of the things I've thought of repeatedly is the fact that with the polaris motor you can run 87 octane containing up to %10 ethanol. Polaris gets away with doing that by running very low compression compared to the other two to avoid detonation. I've looked at cats and doos gas caps and they both say minimum 91 octane on them (both were 2011's maybe they've changed since then?). Polaris does have the different octane settings but that can't make up for the low compression they are running. If you throw a head on the polaris motor that bumps your compression up you have yourself a motor that runs about the same HP as what the other two have. My theory here could be flawed (I've been wrong before) but that's why I think they have less HP. One thing I love about the polaris motor is the low end power they have.

bikeman claims 6 hp out of there high compression head, for above 2k only on pump premium and i think the stock compression ratio is like 186 psi? 12.somthing:1? i dont know about these motors but i do know some about 2 strokes

Last edited:

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
bikeman claims 6 hp out of there high compression head, for above 2k only on pump premium and i think the stock compression ratio is like 186 psi? 12.somthing:1? i dont know about these motors but i do know some about 2 strokes?

The most compression I've ever seen out of a cfi 2 800 on my gauge was 130 psi. My brother has a 2011 summit 800 that has 165 psi on each cylinder and that motor has 2600 miles on it. I do not know what the stock compression ratio is. The list would go on and on about why the stock motor can't handle compression but I guess they designed it that way and it seems to work.

Last edited:

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
I was wrong. I thought last year there was a company on here claiming 14hp. I've been looking and can't find it again (probably because it didn't exist).

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I have a very simple reason(quite complex when you really think about it)...Polaris has been on a serious weight loss program for quite a few years..how does that relate to the 800 motor? simple..it is aprox 20 pds lighter then its closest competitor(just engine)..how does that affect HP? simple, less structurally stiff a motor(block/crank/cylinder the less power it will reliable make..why? because a motor needs to run true, and crank/block/cylinder flex/distortion hurts HP.. what Polaris realized is by starting with a 440 block and adding bigger cylinders they made a compact reasonable reliable modestly powered motor which when accompanied with smaller lighter bulkhead/chassis/materials contributes to a 50 pd weight advantage over the competition..but they give up brute power..yes they do..but when you have the most effeceint stock clutches in the industry, along with the lightest, trickest chassis and a very small light motor, giving up 10 hp while gaining a 50 pd weight advantage is a good tradeoff(pt of view..how many big hp Yamaha turbo sleds do you see in the tight trees?)on our race motors in the70-80's before solid aluminum blocks became popular we used to do whats called cementing the block(filling the water jackets in the block with a cement) which would stiffen the cylinder walls. this applies to every part of a motor crank/head/block and most of all cylinders..the stiffer/stronger those are, the more power a motor will reliable make. so yes while pipes/induction/compression have an affect, you cannot make big power reliably without starting with structurally strong components. Anyway, that's my thoughts on it........

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I will add one more little tidbit that will really get the engine guys going...there is nothing that wrong with a stock Polaris pison..Yep that's right, they are quite fine for a stock piston..the cylinder is the problem...(anyone wonder why Carl's uses their own cylinders for their bigbore? ) the stock cylinder just doesn't have enough meat to hold a round symmetrical bore when run hard. Why you ask? well if you set a Polaris cylinder next to a cat first thing you will notice is the casting is just lighter, not as much material, not as big of water passages(holds less coolant) and most important, a deep exhaust port/powervalve passage which allows a lot of exhaust heat to be retained in that side of the casting, and when combined with less casting thickness causes the cylinder to distort out of round more especially above the exhaust port. that's why everyone want to sell you pistons for your motor..they are trying to do a better job controlling the piston expansion/contraction so they can tighten bore clearences and make it live when in reality what would fix it is a better/stiffer cylinder with better cooling around the exhaust port..(hint, go look at Polaris ultra cylinders..first year vrs last year..quite obvious)

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
there is nothing that wrong with a stock Polaris piston..Yep that's right, they are quite fine for a stock piston..the cylinder is the problem...that's why everyone want to sell you pistons for your motor..they are trying to do a better job controlling the piston expansion/contraction so they can tighten bore clearences and make it live when in reality what would fix it is a better/stiffer cylinder with better cooling around the exhaust port..(hint, go look at Polaris ultra cylinders..first year vrs last year..quite obvious)

Could not agree with you more!!!!

RoffRider, Does sound like you have been around these fangled 2-stroke motors for a while. Takes a great deal of time to put together what you have seen. Now, if you really want to help; tear into a few of these motors. Get some under your eye for a while and then come back to give input to the group. As of now, your original post only enlightened folks on your knowledge and maybe they gained some as well. But, didn't shine any light on why the Poo 800 is down on power compared to competition, just gave possibilities. We want the good stuff!! :)

Good example, there are guys out there that have been building motors and testing theories for decades, many Fuji and Poo specific. Most of the ones that I talk to agree with what AKSNOWRIDER said. So, that is good starting point....

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I will add one more little tidbit that will really get the engine guys going...there is nothing that wrong with a stock Polaris pison..Yep that's right, they are quite fine for a stock piston..the cylinder is the problem...(anyone wonder why Carl's uses their own cylinders for their bigbore? ) the stock cylinder just doesn't have enough meat to hold a round symmetrical bore when run hard. Why you ask? well if you set a Polaris cylinder next to a cat first thing you will notice is the casting is just lighter, not as much material, not as big of water passages(holds less coolant) and most important, a deep exhaust port/powervalve passage which allows a lot of exhaust heat to be retained in that side of the casting, and when combined with less casting thickness causes the cylinder to distort out of round more especially above the exhaust port. that's why everyone want to sell you pistons for your motor..they are trying to do a better job controlling the piston expansion/contraction so they can tighten bore clearences and make it live when in reality what would fix it is a better/stiffer cylinder with better cooling around the exhaust port..(hint, go look at Polaris ultra cylinders..first year vrs last year..quite obvious)

In your opinion is this cylinder distortion permanent or does it only happen when its heated up and running?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
RMS, a little of both.. tear down a cfi 800 that has been run hard its whole life and you will find the cold cylinder isn't round anymore. most all are out small amounts, and up to a point this is normal for all motors..but the CFI 800 seems to show more issue with this...

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Does anyone make a stock sized aftermarket cylander addressing this?
Polaris has, in fact. the 2013 cylinder/cases are different from the other years and part of that is slightly more material and offsetting the cylinder slightly(allowing more meat on the major thrust axis. is it enough? its helped it seems, but more would be better, problem is the compactness of the motor, pretty hard to add much material because there just isn't enough room(cylinder to cylinder dist., all ready small water passages, and encroaching on ports). be interesting to see what would happen if you overbored the cylinder and pressed in a steel sleeve..problem is how small the package is to begin with..I have been waiting to hear that Brad, Kurt or Carls to announce a new stock cylinder but my guess is not enough room to really make one....

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
FYI my 13 is apart and is perfectly round above the exhaust port and .0003 out of round at the bottom on one side and .0006 out of round on the other. I've been told that's well within specs.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
RMS, ideally, to make the most power reliably, you want it perfectly round, hot under full power running conditions. just the simple matter of bolting a motor togeather can take a perfectly round cylinder out of round(one reason why it is so important to properly torque the bolts). on race motors we use deck plates to prestrech the cylinder out of round (during boring and honing)as it would be when installed, in the hopes when assembled the cylinder is as close to round as possible..on a stock motor..well that's a lot of extra time and expense.

Last edited:
R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
now this all makes perfect sense explains why poo made the clearence with the first 800's from the cylinder wall to the piston so great so the piston wont take the more expensive cylinder out and btw small water jackets arent really a bad thing, big water jackets allow for slow coolant flow, and can sometimes create problems
Does anyone make a stock sized aftermarket cylander addressing this?

you can use the stock cylinder and get it lined by a machine shop i know a guy that will do it for you, he is always stressing more support for the intake side of the cylinder, i can understand now why it is so important

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Roff, you need to really look at a stock cylinder. to sleeve one with a thick enough sleeve to add stiffness, you would end up boring all the stock material away, and the sleeve would end up encroaching into the coolant jacket and port space..hence the reason you need a bigger external coolant passage so that the internal area can be made thicker(resulting in the same physical space for the coolant). problem with that is you can only grow the external dimensions so much before other issues arise(including fit in the chassis). A new cylinder with slightly thicker cylinder walls, coupled with a much shorter exhaust port, better cooling around the exhaust/powervalve would do wonders for this motor.At least in my opinion..my guess the next gen 800 Polaris is working on is probably going to end up with a slightly bigger cylinder space(about 1/2 way between this motor and the old big block spacing),the use of more exotic/lighter components, and far more engineering to try to keep the same small footprint/weight while allowing for a stiffer motor(more power/reliable)...

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
now this all makes perfect sense explains why poo made the clearence with the first 800's from the cylinder wall to the piston so great so the piston wont take the more expensive cylinder out and btw small water jackets arent really a bad thing, big water jackets allow for slow coolant flow, and can sometimes create problems

you can use the stock cylinder and get it lined by a machine shop i know a guy that will do it for you, he is always stressing more support for the intake side of the cylinder, i can understand now why it is so important

Without getting into all the discussion here...

The OEM pistons do NOT have excessive clearance..they come in between .005" and .006" clearance . So, Polaris does not send these engines out with a loose piston..

As for the cylinder distorting... That is another subject,, we do not see them distort.. but it is a poor design. but the cylinder is staying round above the exhaust port..

Premium Features