• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long Rod Motor/Indy Dan

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Decided to test a long rod motor in a 2012 800 Pro 163.
Indy Dan built the crank and shim/spacer. I used the stock Polaris pistons and monoblock. I am here to tell you, LONG ROD your motor. For the money it's the best bang for the buck. The vibration is gone. Throttle response is amazing and NO fuel controller. Send your cranks to Dan and get this done ,you will be impressed. If not Dan, send them to Brad at PAR.
Finally had some good snow in Cooke today for a real test. Played near Mutt and Jeff. Snow level this morning was in the 2'-3' range. This thing is amazing. The e-tec boys that rode it today said "WOW".
Here is the set up running in the sled:
base TPS .698
idle TPS .924
Stock primary and secondary springs
63.3 gram lightning weights
46-34F Team 04 Helix
2.25 gearing
green/white ex. springs

Thanks Indy Dan

Last edited:

2mileshigh

Nov 26, 2007
Just got my clutches back from Dan. Excellent workmanship; Wil be sending him my 2011 pro motor this summer. Hope it hangs till then.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I have an '11 CFI LR'ed engine there ready for payment, He quoted me $2500.oo plus shipping of course. Bridges the cylinder skirts by welding and machining back to tolerance, recoats the bore and fits the cylinder properly to the stock pistons. Claims 5000+ miles is typical before a freshening is needed. Comes with his (3 yr?) warranty

******NOTE****** PAR's long rod are Taiwanese IMO you are better off going with IndyDan's american made rods!
This alone will save you from doing it twice like I'm doing. Brad claims his are billet rods made in house, THEY ARE NOT!
I had Brad at PAR do the crank work which was the same Price as Indydan is charging to LR a good crank, and comes with the gaskets and shim. If you want to chance not reworking your top end. Of course bearings or bad parts are additional.

If you just want Indy Dan to do the top end: monoblock cylinder skirts bridged and fitted to the stock pistons he told me $1000.

So if you wanted to do the assembly yourself you could do it for $1800 plus shipping.

For me it is worth the extra $700 to have Dan check the tolerances on everything and know it is spot on before it is assembled and shipped as it will be my daily driver and we don't even have heli support available locally.

Can't wait to slam it in my IQR hybrid build and rip the Chugach Range Up.

Last edited:
A
Oct 17, 2010
I rode TRS's longrod and a 13 doo xm 163. I first rode the xm and i was impressed pulls hard and climbs well. Then I rode the longrod, there was no comparison.The sled pulls so hard all the way through the powerband you have to hang on. It has no vibration it just pulls, I was having flashbacks of his PSI 995. It sure put a smile on my face.:jaw:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I rode TRS's longrod and a 13 doo xm 163. I first rode the xm and i was impressed pulls hard and climbs well. Then I rode the longrod, there was no comparison.The sled pulls so hard all the way through the powerband you have to hang on. It has no vibration it just pulls, I was having flashbacks of his PSI 995. It sure put a smile on my face.:jaw:

Is this a otherwise stock 800 with Indy's long rod mod? I know he claims no HP increase but damn this thing sounds sick.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Long rod crank. All polaris parts. No porting, pipe or can. Maybe the clutching helps?

Last edited:
N
Jan 23, 2008
Fargo, ND
I posted a similar story about my 2012 long rod ProRMK a few weeks back. Ya, he doesn't claim any more HP, but I'll tell you that it FEELS like there is more HP, and those that rode it felt the power compared to last year.

I made the identical climb on the identical hill, with near same snow conditions, and this year I had to let off the throttle a bit because I was cresting it too quickly!!!!

Definite improvement of track speed.

Best money I spent!!!!

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I posted a similar story about my 2012 long rod ProRMK a few weeks back. Ya, he doesn't claim any more HP, but I'll tell you that it FEELS like there is more HP, and those that rode it felt the power compared to last year.

I made the identical climb on the identical hill, with near same snow conditions, and this year I had to let off the throttle a bit because I was cresting it too quickly!!!!

Definite improvement of track speed.

Best money I spent!!!!

I'm sure it is from the extra efficiency of the longer rods not putting so much side load on the piston as the shorter stock rods. The best part is he offers it with a warranty.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
What are the details of this mod? Same crankshaft? How much longer are the new rods and the height of the shim?

I personally am not comfortable giving out what I would consider to be proprietary information. Especially on the web. That in my opinion would be like stealing from the guy that spent the time and money to figure out what works and giving it to everybody with a search engine. In days there would be countless knock off shops springing up claiming to get the same or better results. I won't do that to him. I feel his price is reasonable and fair, so just go with the real deal.

I will say it is closer to the old big block 800 rod length but not exactly sure what that was either.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
^^^
Couldn't agree more.

Even if you found someone to replicate, good luck getting ANYONE to stand behind it like Indy Specialties.

Three year warranty. As far as I've seen only Dan does this. Not even Polaris warrantees their motor that long-- they farm it out to an aftermarket warranty company.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Let more guys ride it yesterday, they can't believe the difference.
Most common comment "Why doesn't Polaris do this"

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
My friend out west lost the motor in his 2012 and it was out of warranty. Dealer wanted $4800 for a new engine since there was a hole in the case. I told him to call Indy Dan and ask about his long rod engine. I think he was pretty impressed about the engine and the price because he ordered one up.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
^^^
Couldn't agree more.

Even if you found someone to replicate, good luck getting ANYONE to stand behind it like Indy Specialties.

Three year warranty. As far as I've seen only Dan does this. Not even Polaris warrantees their motor that long-- they farm it out to an aftermarket warranty company.

Since I am out of warranty, I have been toiling over what to do to make my sled more reliable. This seems to be the most likely option for me for one reason alone...his warranty. Maybe the other kits and fixes out there are reliable, but to me it speaks volumes if you are willing to stand by your work with a 3 year warranty. Now I am just crossing my fingers and hoping my engine lasts one more season. I just had a new shortblock installed under warranty last year in March, so you would think that I shouldn't be nervous. But, having first hand knowledge of Polaris's many reliability issues, I am. Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that a brand new engine vibrates like a jackhammer at certain rpms?:face-icon-small-con

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Since I am out of warranty, I have been toiling over what to do to make my sled more reliable. This seems to be the most likely option for me for one reason alone...his warranty. Maybe the other kits and fixes out there are reliable, but to me it speaks volumes if you are willing to stand by your work with a 3 year warranty. Now I am just crossing my fingers and hoping my engine lasts one more season. I just had a new shortblock installed under warranty last year in March, so you would think that I shouldn't be nervous. But, having first hand knowledge of Polaris's many reliability issues, I am. Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that a brand new engine vibrates like a jackhammer at certain rpms?:face-icon-small-con

With or without warranty I would spend the $800 and get Indydan to LR your crank and eliminate the vibration entirely. It is just a perk that you get a respectable seat of the pants gain in the process. With the longer rod I don't think the cylinder skirts are an issue anymore.

Last edited:

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that a brand new engine vibrates like a jackhammer at certain rpms?:face-icon-small-con

I had a new short block installed in my sled last spring also and yesterday I pulled the head off to reinstall my PAR head and was really surprised/scared how much rock the pistons actually had throughout the entire stroke, I only have about 150 miles on the new engine. I am definitely sending Indy Dan my engine next year!!

Premium Features