• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reverse question

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I'm curious has anyone had this problem with the older wedge reverse. My wife has a 90 Indy trail deluxe sled that is a pain in the butt to get to change from forward to reverse or visa versa. Opened up the chain case and everything looks good. Cable is freely moving and is even loose to the point where I can pull on the lever at the chain case and it still dosn't move. Is this a common problem with the early reverse? Any ideas would be appreciated.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
reverse

Sounds like you just need to adjust that cable. The lever on the outside moves that counter gear in and out. That gear has pins for lack of a better name that engages another gear that is meshed with the chain. If that movable gear isn't moved properly it will not go into gear right. I had one with missing teeth on the idler gear but it sounds like you have inspected everything so it may just be cable adjustment. Obviously make sure it has enough oil too. You have to be at a complete stop when you change those gears because they don't have any syncros and the pins are cut square. Also that lever just applies pressure to a spring to move that gear so it may need to turn up to half a turn before the pins line up and it engages. Make sure chain is adjusted too.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Ended up puting a spring on the lever so it would release all the way. Cable was loose so it wasn't disengaging all the way. Works great now.

Premium Features