• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Primary Clutch Springs ??

J
Mar 7, 2008
140 miles, stock one sheared in two, 250 miles cutler spring broke, 3rd spring another cutler.... Pulled apart the clutch looks fine.... Any ideas ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Alot of people have been having issues with broken springs, including myself, I broke the stock spring at about 200 miles. My runout was great, I wonder if there are quite a few clutches out there with the taper drilled a little off center. I might put a dial indicator on the end of my clutch shaft and compare to my VE if I get bored enough.

D

Dr. Evil

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Idaho
Out of 4 Pros, 2 broken springs, 1 crushed spring. The polaris springs aren't worth buying. After swapping all springs over to Team or SLP, have had no problems.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Something isn't right. Might just be a harmonics/resonance issue, that will break springs fast. Just need to figure a way to alter frequency of resonance....perhaps a stiffer or softer motor mount or torque arm adjustment???

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Check your jam nut as well. Where the little half moons are cut in it for the tool to grab they are often sharp there, with a burr sticking up. File it off smooth so that it doesn't impact the spring.

sled_guy

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Check your jam nut as well. Where the little half moons are cut in it for the tool to grab they are often sharp there, with a burr sticking up. File it off smooth so that it doesn't impact the spring.

sled_guy

Once again (or as usual), good info.... :tea:
Never thought to keep an eye on the nut. Guess what, I had some "pouching" going on.....

J
Mar 7, 2008
Im gonna try a primary off of an 08 and see if that does it, as well I did some fine grinding inside where the spring compresses so we will see what happens.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Another broken spring on mine, team spring...
Wonder why there all breaking

D

Double L

Nov 26, 2007
The PC
Broke mine last week at 200 miles, brother snapped his yesterday at 300 miles. Both sleds are 12's. Had the dealership put a slp spring in mine. Going to take a look tomorrow to see if I can find what sled guy is describing and maybe do some filing.

Last edited:
J

Jer27

Oct 24, 2011
What SLP spring is everyone using? Better pick up a back up.

Last edited:

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I had the original spring go twisted on me so I guess that would be "sacked out" on one side. The SLP spring we just took out was the same way. I think the primary is causing it somehow. SLP springs are usually top notch and this is the first problem I have ever had with one.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
What SLP spring is everyone using? Better pick up a back up.

I ride 8-11K. I went to the SLP blue/pink and it was awesome in our huge storm this last weekend! My stock Polaris spring never broke (1200 miles), but was obviously wore out and tired. I keep it in my trailer as a back up in case one of us losses a spring.

Premium Features