• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Stage III issue?? update: bad piston rings?

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
We have also seen several machines (stock and modified)with problems like this and after significant troubleshooting determined the ethanol/non ethanol resistor to be bad. Replaced it, and the problem went away.

Dustin

pus1100

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
Troms,Norway
We have also seen several machines (stock and modified)with problems like this and after significant troubleshooting determined the ethanol/non ethanol resistor to be bad. Replaced it, and the problem went away.

Dustin

Dustin,was the ohm readings wrong or fluctaiting?

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
Appreciate the input, but can't imagine too much octane having a negative impact. Just running good ole premium, no race gas, octane boost, or anything above what is recommended by Poo and SLP.

Dude, check if the rubber boot on the top of the tps connector is misplaced or sealing good.....while doing mapping for our standalone ECU yesterday we had the same problem as you and the sled didn't want to start afterward and lucky for us we were on a full datalog session when the problem occured....so we realized the tps on the log was going from 5% to 50% to 3% completely for no reason and found the rubber protector(2012 pro r switchback) was not sealing at all and the connector was full of water/moisture causing the tps to go crazy so fueling was completely off and burnt spark plus and sled was sputtering and didn't want to start(tps at 0% was showing 45% throttle open....) so we dried the connector,filled connector with dialectic grease and now the sled is ripping bad!!! beauty of full datalog live function on our ECU.
hope it is helping you out.......without a datalogger it can be pretty crazy to find a problem like this.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Okl I read your entire post and I had a very simialr issue with my 2012 only difference between mine and yours is that it was fouling both cylinders or rather way and I mean way over fuleing. What we discovered is that the plugs wires were on the wrong hole compared to the wiring schematics. My dealer was riding with me and suggested I look at this i did and then compared to his and mine were switched. The coil with the white plug in should go to the mag cylinder and mine was opposite we switched and rode another 100 plus miles on or trip with no more problems. My plug wires came from hte factory this way and wouyld start and idle fine and even ran fine for the first 10 or so miles. I know this is a simple thing to do and maybe you checked it already but didnt read it any where on any of the posts so thought i would share my experience with you. Good luck

i am 99% sure that both plugs spark at the same time..... atleast that is how the older 800's are.

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta

Dustin

Thanks Dustin. Don't believe I have heard this suggestion before. If sled craps out again, I will throw in some new plugs, and swap out my non-ethanol resistor with the ethanol resistor, and see what happens...

I will have to check with the tech, but as far as I know, they haven't tried replacing the resistor.

According to latest testing and logging of data, Poo engineers say problem is a bad exhaust temp probe. New probe installed and have sled back in my garage. Hoping to get some test riding in this weekend.

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta
Dude, check if the rubber boot on the top of the tps connector is misplaced or sealing good.....while doing mapping for our standalone ECU yesterday we had the same problem as you and the sled didn't want to start afterward and lucky for us we were on a full datalog session when the problem occured....so we realized the tps on the log was going from 5% to 50% to 3% completely for no reason and found the rubber protector(2012 pro r switchback) was not sealing at all and the connector was full of water/moisture causing the tps to go crazy so fueling was completely off and burnt spark plus and sled was sputtering and didn't want to start(tps at 0% was showing 45% throttle open....) so we dried the connector,filled connector with dialectic grease and now the sled is ripping bad!!! beauty of full datalog live function on our ECU.
hope it is helping you out.......without a datalogger it can be pretty crazy to find a problem like this.

Just had a brand new TPS installed. Don't see how the old one or the new one could have gotten wet...Sled hasn't seen any powder this year! Only been through 3/4 tank of gas, most of it used running around on the ice in dealers yard...Thanks for the idea, will add it to my list of things to check.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
THREAD TITLE CHANGE REQUEST

A moderator should step up and change the title of this thread as it is prejudicial and damaging to SLP.

Furthermore, it doesn't appear that any of SLP's products are at issue here, and Dustin has responded in an effort to help the O/P.

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta
A moderator should step up and change the title of this thread as it is prejudicial and damaging to SLP.

Furthermore, it doesn't appear that any of SLP's products are at issue here, and Dustin has responded in an effort to help the O/P.

Kraven, you may be right about time for a name change, but if you read the entire post, you will see that no where on here did I actually bash SLP, or did anyone else that I can recall (believe there was a few negative comments about aftermarket parts in general).

Dustin has replied on a couple of occasions, and has been very helpful. I have talked to Dustin on the phone, and he has also talked to my dealer trying to help resolve the problem.

Fact is, my sled ran fine, took it to my dealer for the SLP stage III kit install in November, and have not been able to ride it since!!! Hence the title "SLP stage III kit nightmare" What do you suggest I title??? Another reference to "burnt again by Polaris" or "my second Polaris and possibly my last..." probably would have not gotten near the attention and useful suggestions, as this post has generated. There have been so many Polaris bashing posts on here in the past couple of years, that I don't usually even read them anymore!!!

Sorry my title offended you, but I was just stating a fact the way it is. You know what they say about "negative advertising being as good as free advertising" I am sure anyone considering purchasing an SLP kit, would have taken an interest and read this entire post, and saw many positive comments about the kit throughout, as well as the many references to the great customer service provided by Dustin at SLP.

Personally, I try and seek out the truths among the posts on this forum, and weed through all the BS. :face-icon-small-sad

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Well I ran my sled all day yesterday. Fouled a plug but when I went to change plugs I noticed that the wire end was twisted inside the cap so there was no way to get the cap to "snap" on the plug. I ended up trying to twist it and the end came off. We "farmered" it and I rode all day without incidence. I did see the V-Force III reeds when they came out and they were all chipped up and not sealing. I was once a fan of V-Force Reeds, I am no longer! 600 miles at best on them and they looked like f'ing garbage. I sure hope that we got all me issues fixed and the sled will run every day from now on. I will post and update status the next time I ride. We are not going to ride today and just head home from Jellystone. Good amounts of snow but avalanche warning is about as high as it can get. Hope my journey with fouled plugs is over and can help anybody else trouble shoot their issues.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Kraven, you may be right about time for a name change, but if you read the entire post, you will see that no where on here did I actually bash SLP, or did anyone else that I can recall (believe there was a few negative comments about aftermarket parts in general).

Dustin has replied on a couple of occasions, and has been very helpful. I have talked to Dustin on the phone, and he has also talked to my dealer trying to help resolve the problem.

Fact is, my sled ran fine, took it to my dealer for the SLP stage III kit install in November, and have not been able to ride it since!!! Hence the title "SLP stage III kit nightmare" What do you suggest I title??? Another reference to "burnt again by Polaris" or "my second Polaris and possibly my last..." probably would have not gotten near the attention and useful suggestions, as this post has generated. There have been so many Polaris bashing posts on here in the past couple of years, that I don't usually even read them anymore!!!

Sorry my title offended you, but I was just stating a fact the way it is. You know what they say about "negative advertising being as good as free advertising" I am sure anyone considering purchasing an SLP kit, would have taken an interest and read this entire post, and saw many positive comments about the kit throughout, as well as the many references to the great customer service provided by Dustin at SLP.

Personally, I try and seek out the truths among the posts on this forum, and weed through all the BS. :face-icon-small-sad

Simply said the title itself is mis-leading, which it is.

If you get new tires installed on your truck at the dealer, then the engine blows up and hour later, do you blame the Good Year tires?

Should the headlines read "Nightmare with Good Year Tires" ?

Because after all, that would draw more attention to it, associating a common problem with a reputable company.

Isn't that what the tabloids do?

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Well if the OP made the request to change thread title, then so be it.
What do you want it to say?

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.

Great idea, I thought the same thing as the problem has nothing to do with SLP. Thanks where is MH ?

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.

The title implies an SLP problem ,nobody is offended, great thread,very educational and maybe thread title could be PRO-RMK engine problems after mods. Don't take anything personal,always easier to coach the game after it is over. Thanks again for a good thread.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Why would anyone beside the OP request a title change? I've followed this since the first post, and if you read even the first post, it's obvious it's likely not a SLP issue.

But.......it is pertinent info regarding the problem due to the fact the problem aroused immediately after installing the kit.

Reading all the way through, one would realize this would actually be a benefit for SLP, and the customers or future customers reading it. Dustin for example....... they stepped up and are trying to help find a cause, even though it's obiviously NOT a SLP issue.

Keep the info coming boys, when this is resolved for Dragon, it's gonna be a frequent stop for diagnosing similar issues.

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta
Simply said the title itself is mis-leading, which it is.

If you get new tires installed on your truck at the dealer, then the engine blows up and hour later, do you blame the Good Year tires?

Should the headlines read "Nightmare with Good Year Tires" ?

Because after all, that would draw more attention to it, associating a common problem with a reputable company.
Isn't that what the tabloids do?

Misleading??? I believe your words were "prejudicial and damaging".

Your tire analogy, is like saying my problem started after I installed a new track. I believe you, are a little "off track"

:behindsofa:

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta
Pretty impressed I just spent $30 to upgrade to a Premium member on here, so I could continue to follow my thread. It takes a person much research to actually put together the "true facts" on an issue. I have had dealers laugh at me in the past, when I have been trying to suggest a solution for a problem and said "I read this on Snowest". I see why the forums have such a bad rep.

I was actually impressed that the thread stayed on track as long as it did...

No, sorry, I haven't got any test riding in yet. I should be able to get enough miles on this weekend, maybe even get out tonight, to see if the new exhaust probe turns out to be the solution. I really, really hope so!!!:pray:

Will post as soon as I have some more info.:rockon:

Last edited by a moderator:
Premium Features