• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Stage III issue?? update: bad piston rings?

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
if its always the clutch side plug I'd try switching the cap and wire and just see what happens. It can be tough to get those caps on all the way, I know I have to really push hard to get mine to snap on... good luck :face-icon-small-coo

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Ya! Need facts. 2011 HP ???? vs 2012 HP ????

WE NEED FACTS

only facts i got is my buddy has a 2011 and i have a 2012, we both agree the 12 has a little more snort, and pulls better, cleaner in the deep.. so just a rider comparison is all i got. maybe new MAP or bosch injectors, or what have you but it does run better:tea:

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
only facts i got is my buddy has a 2011 and i have a 2012, we both agree the 12 has a little more snort, and pulls better, cleaner in the deep.. so just a rider comparison is all i got. maybe new MAP or bosch injectors, or what have you but it does run better:tea:

So you both like the 2012 organge graphics better, I see! :face-icon-small-hap

sorry skisucca! back to topic!

Last edited:

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
So you both like the 2012 organge graphics better, I see! :face-icon-small-hap

i agree and see your point mnsledneck, but you are killing the OP's thread.

Dragonbag, have you gone through all of the wiring since the problem starting? is it possible something did not get hooked back up correctly or is chaffing? PCV is installed correctly?

IQ?

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Vilhelmina,Sweden
www.facebook.com
Has the dealer synced the TPS >PC5 ??
Ihave had customers that installed/Or other install that didn't had it done...
One PC5 had no map installed....Blank....

This setup rips if done correctly...
ED

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
i agree and see your point mnsledneck, but yo

Dragonbag, have you gone through all of the wiring since the problem starting? is it possible something did not get hooked back up correctly or is chaffing? PCV is installed correctly?

Some children just can't handle the truth...
but anyway dragonbag hope you get that kit working, best of luck!

1racer

Dec 4, 2007
Make sure the power commander is grounded to the engine. I grounded mine to the fuel rail bolt, and also check plug wires on both ends to make sure they are threaded in all the way. I had the stage 3 kit and now have the stage 4 kit that was giving me fits ended up being the pipe temp sensor. Be patient it will be worth the wait as my stage 3 kit was night and day better than stock and now the stage 4 is even better.

R

rmk685

Dec 4, 2007
Does the sled seem to idle fine? When it goes into limp mode does the light come on on your gauge?

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta
Don't have any updates from the dealer yet, but I have to say, MY DEALER ROCKS!!! Showed up with my sled this morning, and they gave me a 2012 Retro edition to take home and ride until they get my issues figured out. AWESOME!!! Was very impressed, didn't even have to ask for a demo. That's superior customer service in my books!!! Would love to give them a shout out on here, but don't want to risk Poo giving them any warranty hassle since we are playing around with after market stuff...

Thanks again guys for all your suggestions, will try and comment on most, apologize if I miss anyone.

Snopromod, WTF? Poo makes no claims on the 2012 having more hp, and my mechanic calls BS on this as well. I am sure Poo would be advertising the fact if they were pushing more ponies this year. Just my opinion...

Mnsledneck, I believe it took 4 hrs+ to install entire kit. Not as simple to troubleshoot by removing entire kit, and reinstalling as one would think. Great idea, but willing to let dealer try out some other things first. Problem may possibly have developed during install, but pretty sure not directly related to the kit itself. My dealer has been pretty great, still willing to let them approach the issue as they see fit. They want this resolved as much as I do!!!

Tim, Had mechanic pull exhaust valves when he did the kit install, for inspection and cleaning. He reported they were actually in very good condition. Also, had a new fuel filter installed at the same time. (just a couple of precautions)

Wellfed, Tried unplugging the PCV when it was running bad, no change. Tried a new PCV, still fouled a plug. I've been through the wiring checking connections, dealer as also tried the same. Sure, there may still be wiring issues, but doesn't appear to be anything obvious like a loose connector.

TDblakes, not sure if dealer switched caps around, but I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the tip on the caps being tough to snap on, I am aware of this. I usually have to pull the hood off to be absolutely sure they are fully installed. Very tough to get enough leverage to snap them back in place, just reaching in through the side panels.

Skisucca, Thanks for trying to keep the thread on track, always gotta be someone on here trying to take away from the original post, and actually getting some useful info. I seldom post on here, but read them daily. See this happen way too often. Sad, I generally find this forum quite useful.

IQ?, Haven't confirmed with the mechanic that this was done, but the dealer mentioned it, and is aware that a sync is required between the TPS and a new PCV install.

1racer, will have dealer check these items, if haven't done so already. I have found these guys to be quite aware of some of the common poo issues, and they are thorough, as far as I have seen. Have had past dealers who are oblivious to some of the common issues, and if they are aware, like to deny they exist...gotta find a great dealer like these guys and stick with them.

rmk685, When sled craps out, it doesn't idle well either. It was idling ok last night, after start up after my 6 good miles, when it sh*t to bed as it was warming up. Heard it crap out while I was putting on my helmet. No engine light during any of the episodes, very strange! Did have my display actually flickering and cutting out sometimes when it was idling rough. Had it warming up a little on my truck before unloading at the dealers today, when it just died on it's own. Mechanic witnessed this happen.

Thanks again for everyones suggestions. Will update when I have more info. At least my dealer was awesome enough to give me a demo to ride while they work on the problem. Sure helps to ease the pain!!!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!!!

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Have your dealer, or do yourself when ya get it back... Wrap zipties around mid section of sparkplug boot. This will pinch boot against the plug and help hold it in place. I also use a small amount of dielectric grease in the boot. This could be a problem, and if not, will help prevent some common problems associated with boots on the plug etc...

From the sounds of it, I would definitely test the pto coil and wiring, especially the boot connection.

Be patient, they sound good, and should figure it out. Gotta love electronics!

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
Dragonbag,
Very respectable post! I appreciate you not jumping to conclusions. If you have time, give me a call at the shop....I have a good idea of what you may be up against. I need a bit more information from you first, but you have already checked some of the things I would recommend:

Plug Caps and Wires
Stock TPS calibration
PCV to TPS synchronization
DET Sensor
Injectors
Pistons and rings
ECU

If it really is only one cylinder, it is more than likely not a pipe temp sensor or DET.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Dustin

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Hey D bag I never claimed there was a huge horsepower difference, just stated between my 12 and the slp kit there was a huge horsepower difference.. I only stated there was a little more snap between 11 and 12's so does my dealer agree and many others!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Hey D bag I never claimed there was a huge horsepower difference, just stated between my 12 and the slp kit there was a huge horsepower difference.. I only stated there was a little more snap between 11 and 12's so does my dealer agree and many others!
check the base tps setting...but not with digital wrench, use a quality multimeter...betting it is out of spec on base setting..

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
...... and I know for a fact the 12's make more horsepower then the 11's so the kit work! its not a fluke..

Hmmm, it would appear you did say the '12 has more hp. No need to call someone a D-bag for referring to something you did post.
Now back to the OP's topic.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
Also check the wiring going to that injector..... It may be picking up voltage some where intermittently and dumping fuel to that cylinder.

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta
Hmmm, it would appear you did say the '12 has more hp. No need to call someone a D-bag for referring to something you did post.
Now back to the OP's topic.

LMAO!!! Too funny! I don't believe Snopromod was trying to call me names. Maybe he was, but I didn't take offence...Did you notice my name was "Dragonbag"? Thanks for backing me up!:face-icon-small-win

R

rmk685

Dec 4, 2007
Had similar problems couple weeks ago and somehow my tps plug got full of water.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
LMAO!!! Too funny! I don't believe Snopromod was trying to call me names. Maybe he was, but I didn't take offence...Did you notice my name was "Dragonbag"? Thanks for backing me up!:face-icon-small-win

Wow, isn't my face red now !! My apologies snopromod. I really should try and be fully awake AND comprehending a post fully before replying.

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
Dumb question maybe, but why would your stock Pro compare to a Pro with a stage 3 kit if its making such a huge difference ?

cmon Slick. You need to read his post better. He stated very clearly that he geared it down and now nothing will touch it not even his 12. Clearly it did compare until his buddy geared down.:face-icon-small-con
My dumb question is why doesn't he just gear his 12 down?

Premium Features