• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit X Part Out??

S
Oct 17, 2009
Minnesota
I just received word that I totaled my 2005 Summit X 800 151" out west last week. If you looked at the sled you wouldn't guess it was actually totaled but there's a small kink in the tunnel behind the primary..

I don't know if I want to let the insurance company take it, or if I want to buy it back and part it out?

Has anyone ever done a part out on one of these sleds? How much could I expect to sell everything for total, compared to selling the sled as is..?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

S

SledsWest

Sep 4, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
www.quadswest.com
I'd buy it back. Its just a little bend in the bulkhead....I've been riding mine like that for two years. Buy it back and ride the hell out of it! And when it goes down for the count (probably the next time you have a large front end collision), you can use the rest of the insurance money to buy a new sled. Ta da....

S
Oct 17, 2009
Minnesota
1900 miles. It has a two wheel kit with 8" billets, a mbrp can, an 07 seat and taillight, and that's about it as far as aftermarket parts. As for the insurance, I haven't had them look at it yet so I'm not sure how much they'll give me, a guy at the dealer was the one who diagnosed it as totaled.

S
Oct 17, 2001
Milwaukee
Dealer doesn't have the final word, the insurance company does. However, the dealer can influence the insurance company representative one way or the other, but in the end it is up to the insurance company.

Typical rule of thumb is 80% of the sled value in repairs will equal a total loss. But there is definite room there and you don't necessarily have to accept a total loss and if it is right on the edge of that 80% range, the dealer can easily find some areas to cut some money and not compromise quality, detail, fit, finish, etc.

I've fought for my customers in the past and gotten insurance companies to repair sleds that they at first deemed a total loss. If your sled was tip top to begin with, is not easily replaced with a comparable unit, then it is in both party's interest to fix it as reasonably as possible.

S
Jun 10, 2008
Spokane, WA
you will never find a true mountain sled that isnt off at least a 1/4 inch everywhere. panels that dont line up perfect, a tunnel thats not tweeked a little. just from having the sh%t rode out of the. buy it back, straighten it out the best you can. use some good rivets, and rivet a backing plate at the bend and ride it like you stole it!!!!

Premium Features