• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Classes being held in IOWA

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Avalanche Class in Ames, Iowa 2/11/08 6pm

Four Hour Avalanche Classes
Specifically for snowmobilers

Avalanche class coming to Ames, Iowa February 11th, Monday evening

Classes are effective, proven to save lives and affordable.

Learn: How to avoid the most common mistakes, what equipment works best, how to rescue effectively, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, analyze stability and increase your skills in the mountains.

Cost $45 Must sign up in advance

Take the class with those you ride with.

Date: February 11th, 2008 Monday night
Location: Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center 2609 University Blvd. Ames, Iowa 50010
Time: 6pm-10pm
To sign up: Email Mike Duffy: duffyww1@aol.com or call 970-390-9433

Four hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class.

Instructor: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding. Mountain Snowmobiler for 20 years.
Course content:
-Introduction to Avalanches, statistics, contributing factors.
-Avalanche reports
-Signs of instability.
-Equipment
-What to carry and what works best.
-Avalanche beacons.
-Fast and effective single and multiple burial searches.
-Rescue
-Avalanche survival methods
-Hasty search
-mistakes in rescue
-Group Dynamics
-Terrain Evaluation/terrain traps
-Preparing for your trip
-Stability Analysis
-Scenarios

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Avy class in Northwest Iowa?

I have been talking to Mike Duffy about having an Avy class in Northwest Iowa. It will be in the Storm Lake area. I am looking at Jan 23rd or the 30th. Not sure about the date or if we could even get it set up on such short notice.

I was just wondering how many people would be interested in coming?? We need 24 people to make it a go. Please post here or PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Boone

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Avy class in Northwest Iowa?

I also posted this thread in the general snowmobiling forum, but I thought it should be here too.

I have been talking to Mike Duffy about having an Avy class in Northwest Iowa. It will be in the Storm Lake area. I am looking at Jan 23rd or the 30th. Not sure about the date or if we could even get it set up on such short notice.

I was just wondering how many people would be interested in coming?? We need 24 people to make it a go. Please post here or PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Boone

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
I grew up in NW Iowa. The avy dangers are very real. Especially in the ditches around Sioux Center. One time I got stuck under a total washout. My whole right boot was covered. I sold my sled the next day.

Sorry, I had to. Only one sentence in there is true. Props to you for trying to get an avy class!

messickzr

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Iowa
I went to Ames last year to an Avy class that Mike put on. I would be interested in going to Storm Lake this year. I might be able to get a couple of others to go with me.

jsnow17

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
Iowa
class

I have probably 3 or 5 that would go from our group, I will take a head count tomorrow

jsnow17

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
Iowa
class

Whats the deadline? I can also check with the North Iowa Snow Seekers Club to see about more riders that would be interested.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
We also were not able to make it to the Omaha class. Not sure about the deadline. I will be in touch with Mike when he gets home from Omaha. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the interest!!

Boone

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
To the unnamed person that left me negative feedback and called me a ****head in reguards to this thread, KISS OFF!!! It was a joke, I happen to be from NW Iowa. Again, like I said in my first ever so offensive post- Props for anyone taking an avy class!

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Talk to Zeke at Storm Lake Honda, he has lots of customers that go out west,

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Thanks for the info. I talked to him a couple days ago and got him on board. I would like to get as many people involved as I can.

Boone

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
went to mike's class in ames last year and would go again,well worth the money&time. might be able to bring 4 of us if you have enough interest. might want to add this thread to the wyoming section also, keep us posted

P
Nov 21, 2007
Colorado
Im a senior at storm lake and go out west 2- 3 times a year.... i would love to attend but i have a wrestling meet both those days.. other wise i would be there! Great Idea though!

Tony -

Premium Features