• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Battery Charging

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
How do you guys get your battery's charged on the turbo sleds? I added a battery and tried a transformer with a ballast resistor and I fried the transformer! I was thinking about getting a radio shack rectifier and trying that today? 02 edge

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
How do you guys get your battery's charged on the turbo sleds? I added a battery and tried a transformer with a ballast resistor and I fried the transformer! I was thinking about getting a radio shack rectifier and trying that today? 02 edge

I ended up using a rectifier off a 98 400 scrambler. Two solders into the stator providing your 12volts and one leading to your battery. Have to look at a skematic to see which wire to use. I don't remember. Only way if you want to run a digital 02 sensor. Works good so far.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
If you can figure out how to regulate the voltage down, the rectifier that I am using is only $3 at Radio shack. Its 25watts so its not going to burn out. I haven't spent the time trying to figure out how to regulate it yet.

F

freerideordie

Dec 24, 2007
B.C.
just go to ur poo dealer and get a rectifier from a electric start model... mount it by the regulator:beer;

E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
Isolated the Battery, Bought a new Voltage regulator, installed the rectifier and now it is spiking on the DC side?????? in the 20's ????? but the AC side stays somewhat stable,,, Should I ground out the battery?

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Hey I just hooked up a standard lead acid battery to mine with just the Rad shack rectifier and I was just getting a slight rise over battery voltage. The battery was fairly discharged, running my pumps was at 11.62v with the engine off, with it running over 3000r's or so it would go up to 11.76, and was very slowly climbing, showing that it was charging ever so slowly. Turn on my handwarmers and it would pretty much stop climbing. Didn't matter if I had the negative isolated or not.

I think my previous reading of 16v was because of the lithium battery that I had in there, and it wasn't charging that one at all. Last ride the battery was dead.

I Pm'd Jmgsnowman, he is the one I got the rad shack rectifier info from. He said he has been running it with nothing else but a battery for a season and a half with no issues and it keeps his battery charged.

Are you sure when your voltage was spiking that it wasn't A/C voltage? Mine will be up in the 20's A/C voltage through the DC side, but the pumps and battery only see the D/C voltage.

Going to get a battery today and going to run it on the mountain tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
E
Jan 25, 2009
Erie Colorado
i think the voltage regulator is bad,, i hooked back the polaris one and at idle i have 12,13 volts ac on the ac side, and 12,13 on the dc side of the rectifier but when i rev it up it goes down to 1 and negative on the dc side of the rectifier so i am going to try a Arctic cat regulator

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Well my ride was cut short by a tree. Took out the right side suspension.

Anyway. I put in a little tiny lead acid battery. Smallest I could find. I think its about 4x4x2.5" My voltage before the ride was 12.6 after a 3 hour ride with my handwarmers on most the time my voltage at the battery is 12.3

Sled is absolutely ripping though. Boosting at 5 thou. Pulled a hill today that I would have stuck without the turbo. I was trenched all the way to the running boards pulling a wheely up this thing. Friggin fun.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
My set-up is working great. I run two circuits. 1- supplies power to koso digital afr gauge and dual egt's, and 1 runs the fuel pump. I have them split runnning on toggles with fuses to protect them. I also run grounds for both gauges, and the fuel pump as well as grounding the battery to the chassis. I can run all day, long runs, short runs, stop and go for testing and at the end of the day the battery test at 11.4 when I start and 11.4 when I get back. If you would like I can check to see exactly what regulator I am running off of the stator and how it is wired tomorrow.

Last edited:
Premium Features