• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Motor Fist Gear...AWESOME!!!

W
Sep 3, 2008
just got my new motor fist rekon jacket and this thing is absolutely of the highest quality. fit and finish is perfect and the warranty is better than anybody else out there. 106 years! this jacket easily rivals the quality of klim and for $100 less. these guys are fantastic to work with also. check out their website at motorfist.com if you haven't and give them a look. can't wait to see how it does in some real sledding conditions.

W
Sep 3, 2008
appears to be somewhat of an in-house, non name brand ( gore-tex or event) but it looks like it is very good quality. similar to what many other companies use for their waterproof jackets, (see noth face, columbia, and many others), it feels just like a cordura type material and very similar to klim or hmk. this is from their website:

2-Layer 16,500MM Waterproof/10,000MVRT Breathable Snowmobile Specific 350D Woven Nylon Fabric

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I think that the gear is cool looking and I would like to see them do well. But it cracks me up to hear about all the talk about the warranty. They are a new company, so 106 years doesn't really mean jack. Not to mention, they haven't had any gear out there to warranty yet. In my line of work, I replace supposedly lifetime warrantied products all the time. Just saying.

If I were in the market for gear, I would probably give it a shot.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I think that the gear is cool looking and I would like to see them do well. But it cracks me up to hear about all the talk about the warranty. They are a new company, so 106 years doesn't really mean jack. Not to mention, they haven't had any gear out there to warranty yet. In my line of work, I replace supposedly lifetime warrantied products all the time. Just saying.

If I were in the market for gear, I would probably give it a shot.

Valid point,

They do all have to start somewhere and the warranty is only good as long as they are in business. kinda like when my broker said "Enron looks real good":D Anyway I would probably give them a shot to.

Ult680

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Ada, MI
I tried on the coat a few weeks back and WOW. It has great fit! The best out of any coat, however not sure on waterproofing. It feels nice, but not sold. I know my old Reima works. Waiting for some feed back and go from there.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
I checked out the gear at the snow show and it was really high quality. It had that Klim feel of thick durable fabrics, High quality stitching, great zippers and zippers seams. The fit and feel of the gear was top notch.

I am ready to get some new gear and I am really on the fence. I have had Klim for the last three years and really liked it...but their great warranty has become not so great in the last year or so, and that was a good selling point for me.

I am more of a pants guy over bibs, but I could get over that. It all really comes down to the waterproofing. With gortex you know what you are getting so I am just nervous about the performance of their "special" material. How long is this going to be waterproof?

decisions... decisions

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
What has happened with Klim's warranty? I guess I am in the dark about it........that is one of the reasons that I bought my Klim gear. Any infromation would greatly be appreciated. Just curious as to what change has been made in their warranty policy.

Thanks,

Dave

DTR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2008
ND
www.DTRND.com
I checked out the gear at the snow show and it was really high quality. It had that Klim feel of thick durable fabrics, High quality stitching, great zippers and zippers seams. The fit and feel of the gear was top notch.

I am ready to get some new gear and I am really on the fence. I have had Klim for the last three years and really liked it...but their great warranty has become not so great in the last year or so, and that was a good selling point for me.

I am more of a pants guy over bibs, but I could get over that. It all really comes down to the waterproofing. With gortex you know what you are getting so I am just nervous about the performance of their "special" material. How long is this going to be waterproof?

decisions... decisions

I'm with you on this one. I know how Gore-Tex keeps me dry, yeat can breathe. Kind of skeptical of the mystery coating. I have had various hunting boots, and the "generic" waterproofing keeps water out, but never breaths the same as Gore-Tex. MotorFist told me there product "... will breathe better than some Gore-Tex products, and not as good as others."

DTR

H

H.I. McDunna

Dec 18, 2007
It is an laminated membrane. Not a coating. Good points on by all here.

A coating will wear off over time and is garbage. That is true.

MotorFist uses a laminated membrane. Not a coating. Like Epic, eVent and Gore. MotorFist is a PU membrane like other that use it 100% or a portion of PU in it> Gore has PU in it it's membrane. That is a fact.

PU has it perks and it's downsidesides. It is very waterproof but sacrifices that for breathablity. Most "membrane fabrics" are rated at 10,000 waterproofness and 5000-10000 breathable. Motorfist exceeds that.

Do some online research on Gore. It IS NOT the best in actual function or DURABILITY anymore. It just isn't. We just have had only one manufacterer over the past few years only giving us one option.

The thicker fabric does help in waterproofing, some, BTW. If the fabric is thin and easily saturated with water then there is only a thin membrane to stop the water. A MotorFist product is tougher on the exteroir than any mountain jacket or bib out there. It has more in the first line of defense than others do.

BTW MotorFist has TWO membranes on the butt of the bib.

With it being "thicker" the jacket fits very well and is comfortable as others have stated. It's the best of both worlds.

It is sewn very tough. It has more stiches per inch than anybody out there.

You can tell by looking at it that the the quality is there. has others have stated.

Last edited:

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
What has happened with Klim's warranty? I guess I am in the dark about it........that is one of the reasons that I bought my Klim gear. Any infromation would greatly be appreciated. Just curious as to what change has been made in their warranty policy.

Thanks,

Dave
They use to except just about everything you sent in, with in reason. Now their lifetime warranty is the lifetime of the product...which is to be determined by them if the useful lifetime is up. Just seeing more and more Klim warranty's rejected..myself included. :(

CLoser and closer to getting fisted :eek:

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I just sent back a pair of Gloves that were bought December of Last year. The inside seams came unraveled and they told me that it was up to them if I got enough use out of them. What good is a lifetime warranty if the "lifetime" is at their discretion. This is why I am looking at other options. Hopefully I will get a repaired set of gloves back. I would think the "lifetime" of 80 dollar gloves is longer that 5 months.

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
I'm starting to see some kind of connection between Motor Fist and Klim.

Motor Fist's website says it's located in Idaho Falls. There seems to be a tie between Motor Fist and Rexburg Motor Sports which is obviously in Rexburg. Klim is from Rigby which is right in between them both.

Obviously Motor Fist can not compete with Klim and Gore-Tex. I have done the research and Gore is light years ahead of any of the other waterproof membranes on the market. I would go so far as to say it's actually in a class of it's own with about 3 or 4 other clone companies like eVent trying to catch up.

What I'm wondering is if Motor Fist is a sister company to Klim trying to get the market shares of the guys who can't afford to buy Klim. I can't see anyone being dumb enough to think they could compete with Klim without using Gore. That certainly makes no sense, especially after the Tobe thing. There is a huge market for guys who can't afford Klim and nobody would know that more than Klim. They already own the high end market and will most likely keep it as long as they are married to Gore. I doubt Gore would think to kindly of them making less expensive gear out of a clone membrane under the Klim name, so why not start a new company under a different name and grab the mid-line market? The Motor Fist gear was obviously copied from Klim. The warranty from Motor Fist really isn't anything special or different than Klim's warranty. Mostly it's smoke and mirrors. Only difference is with Motor Fist they will keep fixing your stuff rather it keeps you dry or not, something that I'm sure Gore won't allow Klim to do because of Gore's "guaranteed to keep you dry" marketing slogan and reputation.

Not that it matters one way or the other, I just find it coincidental???

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
From what I've been told there is a connection. However it has nothing to do with MotorFist being a part of Klim. Quite the contrary.

Well, that thought crossed my mind as well. That would explain the proximity of location.

If that’s true I suppose time will tell if it’s the gutsiest move I’ve ever seen or if somebody has more money than brains.

Looking at this from more than just a snowmobile clothing perspective, think about how many companies have tired to compete with Gore in any industry in the past 20 years. Hunting, fishing, etc., nobody has been able to compete with Gore. Even Dick Cabela has admitted there’s Gore-Tex, and then there is the other guys, including Cabelas own version of water proof membranes.

Premium Features