• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Raptor V1-RC

OhioMike1989

Premium Member
Jun 21, 2017
Matt Entz, Moutain Skillz is a dealer. I will be purchasing through him and installing on my Pro Rmk 850/155 in hopes to hit some sweet jumps :plane:

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Raptor makes awesome stuff, no doubt. However, their PR writing needs a little work ;)

Take out all the buzzwords and adjectives, not much left there to understand how these are better. Not saying its BS, but I do think they could be a little more objective with explaining their technology.

Either way, would love to try them out, and would really love to hear from someone who doesn't have some cognitive bias and knows how suspension should perform on a mountain sled.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
So, after looking at their cutaway model at haydays, its "just" machined bypasses in the shock body allowing fluid bypass the valve assembly for a certain portion of the stroke.

Obviously there is a lot to calibration of these passages. But thats how its done.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
So, after looking at their cutaway model at haydays, its "just" machined bypasses in the shock body allowing fluid bypass the valve assembly for a certain portion of the stroke.

Obviously there is a lot to calibration of these passages. But thats how its done.

SO its position sensitive damping on an extreme level? Not too crazy, but cool!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

I was wondering if that's what they were up to. Fox did this on their Tucker Hibbert edition RC2s for trail sleds, but it never filtered down to any other models I'm aware of. Curious as to why.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
What's everyone thinking about these vs. Fox iQS?

I have compression adjustable only Raptors in my Kmod and after snow/ice gets packed around the adjusters they're hard to turn. So kind of makes the easy adjustability less easy. The new bypass might make the need for adjustments less, if you're even a person that takes the time to make damping adjustments based on conditions.

The iQS will allow these adjustments literally at your fingertips without getting off the sled. Plus it give a lockout option on the rear shock to keep the front end down when wanted. That being said I think the iQS system is overpriced for what it is. Just a set of small servo motors that turn the 3 position dial of their current QS3 line of shocks.

T
Sep 10, 2009
I have compression adjustable only Raptors in my Kmod and after snow/ice gets packed around the adjusters they're hard to turn. So kind of makes the easy adjustability less easy. The new bypass might make the need for adjustments less, if you're even a person that takes the time to make damping adjustments based on conditions.

The iQS will allow these adjustments literally at your fingertips without getting off the sled. Plus it give a lockout option on the rear shock to keep the front end down when wanted. That being said I think the iQS system is overpriced for what it is. Just a set of small servo motors that turn the 3 position dial of their current QS3 line of shocks.

Boondocker97 - Raptor has re-designed the compression knob on the new shocks. It should make them way easier to turn when they are iced up and your hands are cold!

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
What's everyone thinking about these vs. Fox iQS?

I've ridden Fox qs3s on a 16 Doo Xm 165. It only had them on the front. But they rode very well. Much better than my walker clickers(non needles). That are on my 16 pro axys. While I like electronics, they fail, and I could totally see these failing. Also, more stuff mounted on the bars, I know I roll my sled and hit trees. Very good chance the buttons would get broken. Just my opinion. I went Kinetics for that reason and I've never heard one bad thing about Raptor, Top Notch customer service from what I've researched and experienced so far.

JP-RaptorShocks

Premium Member
Oct 28, 2011
Here’s a little look at the inner workings of our new Kinetic line of shocks. As you can clearly see from the V1-RC photo we have channels machined on the inner wall of the shock body. What that does is allows the shock fluid to bypass around the main valving piston as the piston passes through the Ride zone.

The options that we have are endless. We have the flexibility to change the percentage of flow with the depth, width, number, as well as the length of these channels. This combined with a new Anti Pack piston that houses a check valve inside one of the rebound circuits, makes for an incredible amount of control in the Ride zone.

Kinetic-V1RC-Cutaway.jpg

The benefit with having a Bottom out zone is for those big nasty hits maybe expected or, more importantly, not expected. What we typically do with the V1-RC is we have 30% of the remaining part of the stroke as a Bottom out zone. How we achieve this is by ending the bypass channels 70% of the way down the shock body. This forces 100% of the fluid that was bypassing in the Ride zone through the main valving piston causing a significant change in pressure. We refer to this as shifting. We pick when the shock shifts as well as how hard it shifts between these two zones.

This shock design if often compared to those on a trophy truck with the exception that ours being an internal bypass vs an external bypass. The sheer beauty of these designs is they are a self-contained coil-over and need no “in flight” adjustments, no electronics and no last second button pushes. You simply hit whatever is in front of you.

Why does this all matter, it gives the rider a more compliant ride in the Ride zone with better bottom out protection in the Bottom out zone. This will give you much better control of the vehicle with far less effort and far less rider fatigue.

As you can imagine, it gets very busy for us this time of year and we don't get to spend as much time on the forums addressing questions as we'd like. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us by phone, email or on any of our social media channels.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Here’s a little look at the inner workings of our new Kinetic line of shocks. As you can clearly see from the V1-RC photo we have channels machined on the inner wall of the shock body. What that does is allows the shock fluid to bypass around the main valving piston as the piston passes through the Ride zone.

The options that we have are endless. We have the flexibility to change the percentage of flow with the depth, width, number, as well as the length of these channels. This combined with a new Anti Pack piston that houses a check valve inside one of the rebound circuits, makes for an incredible amount of control in the Ride zone.

Kinetic-V1RC-Cutaway.jpg

The benefit with having a Bottom out zone is for those big nasty hits maybe expected or, more importantly, not expected. What we typically do with the V1-RC is we have 30% of the remaining part of the stroke as a Bottom out zone. How we achieve this is by ending the bypass channels 70% of the way down the shock body. This forces 100% of the fluid that was bypassing in the Ride zone through the main valving piston causing a significant change in pressure. We refer to this as shifting. We pick when the shock shifts as well as how hard it shifts between these two zones.

This shock design if often compared to those on a trophy truck with the exception that ours being an internal bypass vs an external bypass. The sheer beauty of these designs is they are a self-contained coil-over and need no “in flight” adjustments, no electronics and no last second button pushes. You simply hit whatever is in front of you.

Why does this all matter, it gives the rider a more compliant ride in the Ride zone with better bottom out protection in the Bottom out zone. This will give you much better control of the vehicle with far less effort and far less rider fatigue.

As you can imagine, it gets very busy for us this time of year and we don't get to spend as much time on the forums addressing questions as we'd like. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us by phone, email or on any of our social media channels.

Sounds a lot like the fox position sensitive shocks from the late 90’s.

Internal bypass.

Extremely short oil life.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I was strongly looking into buying Raptors and then seen they were releasing the Kinetics. Needless to say, I ordered the Kinetics at Haydays. I can't wait to get some seat time on them. I'm really curious how much better they'll be than the walker clickers that came on my 16 axys pro. The best shocks I've had were needle clickers on my 15 SBA and they were noticeable better on the front of that machine.
Awesome!! Go to Haydays to peruse and look around, walk out $2800 lighter! I feel both the pain and excitement.
Love Haydays! Great purchse btw!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Sounds a lot like the fox position sensitive shocks from the late 90’s.

Internal bypass.

Extremely short oil life.

Trying to remember any info on the 90s design, did you yourself have a set or have a picture of the internal design? I know manufacturing has changed tremendously since the 90s, yes the fundamentals are the same but processes have changed. Raptor puts countless test hours into each product way before it is released to public. I can tell you they would not release any shock that had "Extremely short oil life"

There is many things in this world that did not work for one but succeeded for another...

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Trying to remember any info on the 90s design, did you yourself have a set or have a picture of the internal design? I know manufacturing has changed tremendously since the 90s, yes the fundamentals are the same but processes have changed. Raptor puts countless test hours into each product way before it is released to public. I can tell you they would not release any shock that had "Extremely short oil life"

There is many things in this world that did not work for one but succeeded for another...

Oh I know raptor is doing a better job than 90’s fox. Haha it just struck me as similar advertising jargon.

I have one in my garage right now.

The old fox position sensitive shocks didn’t have the fine tuning figured out to stop bottoming and blowing through the stroke.

I think fox has also made strides in this technology with their internal bypass pickup truck shocks.

FlatLand_J

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2013
Looks like most of the Fox off-road shocks made now are internal bypass. Some external bypass.

Just speculation:

I assume older Fox PPS bypass ports were smaller and generated high temps and oil break down. Multiple bypasses would lower temps and new synthetic oils should tolerate temps better.

Premium Features