• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI Oil Fix

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Alright, I'm sick of an oil mess when I ride my sled. With MPI we've got 2 options.

1. Belly pan full, creating a mess inside the engine compartment and causing drips on trailer and garage floor.

2. Route it to the intake, causing a mess outside the side panel, soaking the prefilter causing it not to be able to get any air, and ingesting oil causing it to smoke and smell worse than a 2 stroke.

So, my question is, what is a guaranteed fix to this? And why hasn't MPI resolved it yet? Does a roll over valve help any? Or do you still get oil coming out the breather tube when you roll the sled?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Here is the real problem. When they relocated the Oil separator to the opposite side of the sled it adds length of hose to the separator. I do believe it then has more opportunity to build up "head" of oil when the sled goes on its side and that then overpowers the Check ball in the separator and it has to puke it out.
Solution is to keep the oil separator in the OEM location which is not possible with the MPI turbo but it can be retained on the OEM (mag) side at least. I do know someone who did move his MPI separator back to the Mag side and mounted it off the Heat shield and wrapped it in a large amount of heat tape. Tested it last weekend and could roll that sled and keep it on side for several minutes with no oil loss or mess.
The other turbo companies that do not move the oil separator have no issue. I have 2 MCX and can have that sled sit upside down for 10 minutes with no issues. Just as intended.
Good luck with your issue.
RS

Support@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2015
www.mountainperformance.com
Does your sled not have the HSK-1160 on it? Which returns the oil to the inspection port on the mag cover. I finally put one on my personal sled this year and no more oil puking. There have been instances where the check ball froze causing the machines to do a self oil change.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Does your sled not have the HSK-1160 on it? Which returns the oil to the inspection port on the mag cover. I finally put one on my personal sled this year and no more oil puking. There have been instances where the check ball froze causing the machines to do a self oil change.

Yes I do. Instead of having it puke out into the bellypan, it routes into the intake and gets forced through the turbo.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Yes I do. Instead of having it puke out into the bellypan, it routes into the intake and gets forced through the turbo.

Odd, as ours has the MPI reroute kit mentioned above and has been on its side and upside down at least a dozen times this year and no noticeable oil loss. Might check your separator a lot of back east boys are having stuck check ball.

T
Mar 30, 2010
Here is the real problem. When they relocated the Oil separator to the opposite side of the sled it adds length of hose to the separator. I do believe it then has more opportunity to build up "head" of oil when the sled goes on its side and that then overpowers the Check ball in the separator and it has to puke it out.
Solution is to keep the oil separator in the OEM location which is not possible with the MPI turbo but it can be retained on the OEM (mag) side at least. I do know someone who did move his MPI separator back to the Mag side and mounted it off the Heat shield and wrapped it in a large amount of heat tape. Tested it last weekend and could roll that sled and keep it on side for several minutes with no oil loss or mess.
The other turbo companies that do not move the oil separator have no issue. I have 2 MCX and can have that sled sit upside down for 10 minutes with no issues. Just as intended.
Good luck with your issue.
RS

don't mean to pick on you randy! but mcx came out with a oil vent reroute to! any brand new stock yamaha left upside down will lose oil! just a fun fact you should know. rollover valves are worth the money keeps the oil where it should be

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
On some days when the boondocking gets western I lose oil while riding on steep tech lines!

Premium Features