• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris Engine and surrounding information

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Kelsey, let me try a different approach to the pro motor..what would interest me for a fix, would be a long rod motor, with pistons with the boss moved a like amount as the rod(no spacer under the cylinder). Any chance you would consider even testing such an animal(for me that would be a great kit). to me this would be the best all around fix for this motor as far as making it into a 10,000 mile never open the hood type of sled...

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Fact

Results
  1. fact
    fakt/
    noun
    plural noun: facts
    1. 1.
      a thing that is indisputably the case.

"she lacks political experience—a fact that becomes clear when she appears in public"
      synonyms:reality, actuality, certainty; Moretruth, verity, gospel
      "it is a fact that the water is polluted"

antonyms:lie, fiction

Seems to be alot of disputing. There is also alot of excellent imformation in this thread. Alot more than my little brain can take. But I agree that a RKT858 with long rods would be the best of both worlds.Thanks Fred

H

Hairy Mark

Nov 21, 2007
kettle falls
ok i want this to be stated first off. this is my opinion and it is only the opinion of an idiot who has worked on sleds of his own for a long time.

what i think is the problem with the 800 is that the pistons design is bad. when i changed pistons in my sled last year i had never seen a piston with so much weight in the top versus the bottom. what i mean by this is that the skirts on the botom were so thin that you could tell that the piston was not going to last. the "balance of the piston" for no better term was awful. and what i mean by that is that if you laid the piston on its side and measured the distance that it would balance on a piece of aluminum is so much towards the top no wonder it flops around in the cylinder causing it to fail. the older pistons that i changed, and i have changed hundreds of them, were "balanced" so much different then these you could see why they lasted longer.

now my thoughts on the heat soaking of the motor, does aluminum change size when heated yes. does a lake change temperature when i piss in it yes. hmmmmm.

Premium Features