• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone renewed their Iowa registration lately?

B
Nov 28, 2007
Sioux Center, Iowa
" The added revenue would be a boon to the IDNR's ongoing initiative of
updating the aging groomer fleet in Iowa, especially with the cloudy future of
federal grant money."

correct me if im wrong but iv never seen a dnr groomer i was always under the impression our groomer in clay county was own/operated by our snowmobile club not the dnr?.......

"Snow grooming equipment is purchased through the Department's Snowmobile Cost-share Program. This equipment is granted to clubs for use in developing and maintaining snowmobile trail systems in Iowa." This is a quote from the DNR web site.

S

spiceyunicorn

Jun 20, 2010
NW, Iowa
In that case i really dont have a problem spending the 17 bucks the lady at the recorder office didnt do a very good job explaining where the money was going.

B
Nov 28, 2007
Sioux Center, Iowa
In that case i really dont have a problem spending the 17 bucks the lady at the recorder office didnt do a very good job explaining where the money was going.[/QUOTE

There's a lot of misconceptions by those not familiar with the new program. Those that understand it realize how good it will be for our sport. Thanks for your support, Spicey.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Sounds like a screwed up system to me.

Not really. Sticker #1 is your yearly sled registration, just like a car. Sticker #2 is your trail permit. You take your car to a state park, you pay to get in. You camp in a state park, again you pay. The state provides a groomed trail system for those who wish to use them for less than it cost to fuel up your sled. Iowa's not the first to come up with a trail permit and they won't be the last. Groomers don't come cheap and this is one way to help fund them. Another is seeking our share of the gas tax paid by sledders in Iowa. The ISSA would like to see that money go back to the ISSA and the DNR for trail developement and more groomers. If you don't ride in Iowa , no problem. If you do, man-up and buy the permit. Protect our sport and help provide a safe place to sled for the next generation of riders. One last thing. Get involved in your local snowmobile club. The trail permit issue was something that was overwelmingly supported by the Iowa State Snowmobile Association's membership.

Calling your system "screwed up" was probably not appropriate, I appologize. As a State Park Ranger I can certainly understand the need for user fee's to support State Parks. The difference in the car registration analogy is when you pay for your vehicle registration it helps pay for roads and other related transportation infrastructure but probably does not support State Parks thus the need for park user fee's. Usually (at least in SD) snowmobile registration money is used to support trail systems within the state. Most states (except SD) require non-residents to buy trail passes to support the trail system they are using and the the residents are already supporting the trail system by registering their sleds. I think the complaints from resident snowmobilers is the perception they are paying twice to support their trail system. I beleive most would be supportive of increased registration fees to support their trail system but many would rather not have to buy an additional decal. I hope ISSA's attempt to gain control of the snowmobilers share of gas tax is successful. SD is adequately able to fund their snowmobile program with resident regisration fee's, share of gas tax and 3% tax on sale of new and used sleds. South Dakota's registration fee is $10 per sled which has not changed since it was implemented in 1971. SD does not charge non residents a user permit if their sled is registered in their home state. A non resident trail permit has been discussed but until there is a justifiable need for more funds SD has not implemented a non resident trail permit for fear of losing the gas tax share revenue.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Calling your system "screwed up" was probably not appropriate, I appologize. As a State Park Ranger I can certainly understand the need for user fee's to support State Parks. The difference in the car registration analogy is when you pay for your vehicle registration it helps pay for roads and other related transportation infrastructure but probably does not support State Parks thus the need for park user fee's. Usually (at least in SD) snowmobile registration money is used to support trail systems within the state. Most states (except SD) require non-residents to buy trail passes to support the trail system they are using and the the residents are already supporting the trail system by registering their sleds. I think the complaints from resident snowmobilers is the perception they are paying twice to support their trail system. I beleive most would be supportive of increased registration fees to support their trail system but many would rather not have to buy an additional decal. I hope ISSA's attempt to gain control of the snowmobilers share of gas tax is successful. SD is adequately able to fund their snowmobile program with resident regisration fee's, share of gas tax and 3% tax on sale of new and used sleds. South Dakota's registration fee is $10 per sled which has not changed since it was implemented in 1971. SD does not charge non residents a user permit if their sled is registered in their home state. A non resident trail permit has been discussed but until there is a justifiable need for more funds SD has not implemented a non resident trail permit for fear of losing the gas tax share revenue.

I did not take it in a bad way at all. The hardest part about our area (SW Iowa) is we do not have any trails. We just have a few road ditches or in the local farmers Fields when there is enough snow. My sled will be in WY. all year. We just do not get the Snow around home to justify having a sled to ride there. My 2-cents.

B
Nov 28, 2007
Sioux Center, Iowa
No offense taken SDSNOCOP. The car/park analogy was simply to say that registration and the trail pass were two different things even if they are geared to the common good. The first thoughts were to double the registration fee but that was changed to leaving the registration fee as it was and adding a trail pass so private land owners and those like Steelman would have the option if they chose not to ride in the state or on public land.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
Sounds like I may have to ride my sled in iowa tomorow w/o my iowa registration since we haven't hauled them to wyoming.:face-icon-small-fro Hope the popo doesn't get me.:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features