• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Baker Tuesday, i think

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
Think I'm game for an early ride Tuesday.....If we get some snow. I recently spoke with a little snow birdie and they said Baker was pretty much a joke today. 1 inch of new in the meadows and fogged in up top. The report for the last couple of days up there was suppose to be around 20 inch of new. Didn't happen.

GOT SNOW!!! WILL GO!!!

C

CascadeMK

Nov 11, 2009
West Seattle
Diddo. Gonna be a great day up there tomorrow. Based on last weekend though I'll be tryin to park up the switchbacks. Rode gravel most the way up last weekend. Don't think the hyfaxs will survive another one of those. Although, we'll see cause forecast for today says 4-8" above 2000'. May have lube for the trail ride.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
north bend, wa
Diddo. Gonna be a great day up there tomorrow. Based on last weekend though I'll be tryin to park up the switchbacks. Rode gravel most the way up last weekend. Don't think the hyfaxs will survive another one of those. Although, we'll see cause forecast for today says 4-8" above 2000'. May have lube for the trail ride.

How many switchbacks up for parking? I'm guessing you parked in the upper parking, at the blue lake turnoff?

C

CascadeMK

Nov 11, 2009
West Seattle
Last weekend I had to park on side of road between little lot and the Y (upper lot).
After looking at Obi's thread and the noaa, it sounds like the upper lot will be suitable. We'll see.

P

papa bear

Nov 26, 2007
Hobart, WA
How many switchbacks up for parking? I'm guessing you parked in the upper parking, at the blue lake turnoff?

As of Sat 2/5/11:
1.5 miles past the blue lake turnoff (second switchback?) This is a few hundred yards prior to the green gate. Road has been plowed down to ice in areas and gravel in other areas.

You could park at the blue lake turnoff parking lot and go to blue lake - as that road is groomed.

Bottom of big house had 1-2" on crusty icy layer. If you broke through that layer of crust, then there was another layer of crust a couple inches below. Good for avy conditions!

Fog socked in thick at 11:45am. Real joy gettting off the hill.

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Well I'm guessing the 4" to 8" today isn't happening as I look at the doppler and at sunshine out my window. Really wanted to play hookey tomorrow, but not so sure any more.... If anyone wants to convince me to go PLEASE DO. I will have an empty spot on my trailer and need a riding buddy should I head up there...

S
Feb 4, 2008
washington
Well I'm guessing the 4" to 8" today isn't happening as I look at the doppler and at sunshine out my window. Really wanted to play hookey tomorrow, but not so sure any more.... If anyone wants to convince me to go PLEASE DO. I will have an empty spot on my trailer and need a riding buddy should I head up there...

im game

T
Nov 26, 2007
Monroe/Cle Elum, WA

Mt Baker ski resort is reporting 10" of new in the last 24hrs.
http://www.mtbaker.us/1011/snow_report/

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Now this is the positive report I am looking for. It's official, I'm gonna call in sick.

Revy, or anyone else, feel free to PM or give me a call at 206-218-8455, as I would feel a lot more comfortable buddying up with someone or a group. I have room for one on the trailer and one in the bed if needed. I'm easy going and can meet anyone anywhere from DT Seattle and North on I5 to the snopark... I'd say I'm an intermediate rider, riding on a m7 162, but I have all the avy gear(except airbag) and can dig you out if something goes wrong.
-Noah

T

Tony skagen

Dec 17, 2010
Me and a couple of friends are thinking of heading to baker to ride tomorrow,we have never been there so any info would be good! Also is it worth the drive from auburn?

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Me and a couple of friends are thinking of heading to baker to ride tomorrow,we have never been there so any info would be good! Also is it worth the drive from auburn?

Well, I drive from Seattle all the time, so I don't think an extra 20-30 min makes it less worth it. The ride up from the parking area to the mountain can be crappy, but it's all worth it once you get up there(presuming weather is good).

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA

The good riding areas are not what I would reccomend for beginers if you have any with you. The trail riding just doesnt have much to offer for them unless the meadow has some decent snow in it. Even still the good riding is quite a ways away from there and there is no trail access into those areas. From Peanut on there is a lot of open ...no tree areas you will go thru...not much for tree riding. With that in mind if the visability isnt good a lot of the terrain isnt ridable very eaasily unless you have darn good eyes. Fog can come in and does up high...there are easy ways out without going around and over the no treed areas but you have to know where they are at. We sometimes have to do what I call the Baker hump...sit on your sled humped over the bars..take a cat nap and wait for the visability to get better. There are times when i do this for 15 minutes..then I get a break in the weather..ride hard for 15 minutes and then do it again.

It can be a real fun area when the snow is good and the weather cooperates. With baker it seems to make its own weather patterns so the forcast isnt a tool I would use religously..you just have to go and explore! Have fun and klnow where the wilderness boundries are.

Cheers,
MW

Last edited:
Premium Features