• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WILDFIRE!!!

egesledder

Premium Member
Sep 8, 2009
West of Boulder, Colorado
So this is a picture of my house taken by 9 news at about 2pm yesterday. My house is the one that is not burning, but the smoke is blowing towards it.. The black smoke to the left is my neighbors house.

They aren't letting anyone back up there and my sled is still in my garage!! I haven't heard anything yet and Boulder is filled with smoke right now. I was camping and dirt biking all weekend, so I at least have my truck, camping gear and my bike. Everything else I own however, is still at the house. I'm better off than my roomate who had left earlier in the morning in flip flops and nothing in his car.

I'm just thankful for all the friends who have called me and offered their support and I'm kicking myself for not having rental insurance...

House.jpg

House2.jpg

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Still time (right now) to get homeowners\renters and snowmobile insurance!

X

XXL

Jan 18, 2006
Wilsall, Montana
How's it goin' down there? News is reporting they are looking for eight peeps that didn't evacuate.

egesledder

Premium Member
Sep 8, 2009
Well, its officially gone... Its on the latest destroyed list. Still can't go up there, but hopefully some of the bigger steel tools will be salvageable from the garage. All my rifles and shotguns were there in my room upstairs, so they definitely didn't survive.

My roomate's '95 dodge cummins was half pulled into the garage, so I bet that giant cast iron engine block is still there.

About the missing people, last night at the evacuee meeting, they said there were still 3 people missing. As crazy as everything is, I wouldn't doubt that those people were there at the coors event center tonight and they just haven't been accounted for yet. They have been having everyone fill out forms and send emails with addresses and if everyone in the household is accounted for.

Of course, there are quite a few random hermits living in the backwoods shacks out there, some with almost no trails going to them, so there could be a lot more than what they know now.

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Well, its officially gone... .

WOW Man, I really feel for you. I know what it's like to watch your place burn.

At least you are out of there safely, most of the stuff that went up in flames
can be replaced but as I know there are still many things that can not...

Best of luck to you.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Man, I really feel for you if you lost your house. I hope you are able to salvage your lives.

Looks like a lot of timber right up close to the house. What did people do in your area for fire-wise prevention?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Custer, SD
It's all replaceable! Easy for me to say I know.
At Least you weren't in there!
Try to be thankful for what you still have!

The largest fire in SD history was 50 feet from my house in 2000. 85,000 acres. We were extremely lucky! Some dedicated firefighters cutting line in the middle of the night and multiple loads of slurry saved our house.
I know what you mean by seems like another planet! Brings back memories of the first day we got to go back. Smoldering holes in the ground and kind of a lunar landscape. Eerily quiet!

Last edited:

egesledder

Premium Member
Sep 8, 2009
So if anyone comes across a good deal on an 05-06 summit 800 (or something equivalent) nearish to Colorado between now and December, let me know. I've decided that I can skimp on anything else I need to live on, but I NEED a sled for this winter. This is the first time since I was 12 that I haven't owned a snowmobile...

Premium Features