• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Harry Reid pushing for quick vote on land grab bill

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
Here's the copy / paste:

Harry Reid to Force Vote On Omnibus Land Grab This Weekend

The Omnibus Federal Land Grab Bill Number is now S. 22

Urgent Action Required

You must call your Senators immediately. They must be deluged with calls now at (202) 224-3121.

If you live in California Senator Feinstein could be swayed in our favor. She needs to hear from You.

You should also call your Congressman. The bill will have to go back through the House if it passes the Senate.

All Senators may be called at (202) 224-3121. All Congressmen may be called at (202) 225-3121. They must know in no uncertain terms that rural America opposes this massive Wilderness and land grab bill.

You must let your Senators and Congressman know you will hold them responsible for their vote on S. 22. This is the largest land grab in 20 years. They must know they will be held accountable.

Now is not the time to be locking up our resources when we need them to help rebuild our economy.

Please forward this message to as many people as possible as quickly as possible.

For more information on this bill see:
http://www.landrights.org/New Omnibus_HR5151_E-mail.pdf

You are subscribed to the Advocates for Access to Public Lands mailing list.

To unsubscribe click here: http://www.spaceweather2.com/u?id=1222883W&n=T&l=skycalls or send a blank email to <leave-skycalls-1222883W@www.spaceweather2.com>

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
Saw that myself....This is BAD. They are using the expiration of the Domestic drilling ban last fall to justify thier land grab. There is plenty of pork in this bill also.

Last edited:
D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
Another paste from Townhall...

Amanda Carpenter :: Townhall.com Columnist
Harry Reid’s Land Grab
by Amanda Carpenter
It’s hard to pinpoint the worst part of the public lands legislation bill Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is calling up for an under-the-radar Sunday vote.

The 1200-page, pork-laden, $10 billion proposal locks up millions of acres of energy-rich property by designating it as environmentalist-friendly “federal wilderness” area where not even as much as a bicycle would be permitted to travel across the land. Many of these areas recently became available when the ban on domestic drilling in Western states expired last fall and the liberal left couldn’t muster the courage to keep it in place due to rising energy prices. Now Democratic leaders are using different legislative strategies to put a new kind of ban in place.

One Republican House staffer put it this way: “Reid is going to make it federal land so no one can touch it. He’s locking up the equivalent of ANWR.”

The bill, S.22 "Omnibus Public Lands Management Act of 2009," would cordon off more than 3 million acres from energy leasing by restricting various areas as “federal wilderness” or “wild and scenic” river ways.

Since the price of gasoline has dropped and attention has diverted to other matters, such as President-elect Barack Obama’s inauguration, Leader Reid has made the land grab a priority and is calling members of the Senate back to Washington on Sunday to rush it through. And the bill, which is basically an omnibus compilation of pet projects and land seizures sponsored by individual House members and senators, has wide-ranging, bipartisan support since it helps many of them secure support from stakeholders in their home states and districts.

For example, one piece of the bill that has drawn the ire of the Wall Street Journal is a provision sponsored by Rep. Barney Frank (D.-Mass.). He’d like to make a robust, container shipping port located in his district’s Taunton River into a scenic tourist destination. This would have the liberally convenient side effect of killing a proposal to create a terminal to import liquefied natural gas.

Then, as to be expected in an omnibus bill, there’s the pork. California Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D.) is requesting $461 million to legally settle a dispute over the San Joaquin River with the environmentalist group Natural Resources Defense Council. The money would be used for a water project that has the “minimum goal” of restoring 500 salmon to the river. (That’s nearly $1 million per fish!) Montana Sen. Jon Tester (D.) wants $5 million to fund a “Wolf Compensation and Prevention Program” to assist property owners use “non-lethal” measures to prohibit wolves from killing their livestock.

The lands bill chief opponent Republican Sen. Tom Coburn (Okla.) argues it’s foolish to add acreage to the federal government’s responsibility when it can’t even properly manage treasured properties like the Statue of Liberty or National Mall appropriately. And, “we’re not exactly suffering from a shortage of wilderness,” his spokesman John Hart said in a conversation with Townhall.

Coburn has drafted 13 amendments to the bill, but Reid is not allowing him to offer a single one of them. One of them is a common-sense measure to just require that the current maintenance backlogs of government property be brought up to date.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R.-Ky.) is urging his fellow Republicans to just skip the vote, as a means of opposing the bill and drawing attention to the fact it’s been more than 120 days since Reid allowed a GOP amendment to be accepted on the floor.

Several Republicans, however, have their own projects in the bill making it a difficult vote to skip. Republican Sen. John Barasso of Wyoming, who is typically a reliable conservative vote, has a provision tucked away in the bill to withdraw 1.2 million acres of state land from mineral leasing and energy exploration, where 8.8 trillion cubic feet of natural gas and 331 million barrels of recoverable oil are estimated to exist.
Share:

About The Author Amanda Carpenter is National Political Reporter for Townhall.com.

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Harry Reid does not respond to citizens of the State of Nevada unless you are associated with a special interest group. Have sent many emails and letters and get the same generic response (NOTHING)!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I can't believe for the life of me that John Barasso is supporting this bill.

I hope he isn't expecting to be re-elected.

F*cking *******.

S
Apr 12, 2008
land grab

just go the saws notice on the passage of the senate version of this bill. sick and tired of these know it alls who want to kick around states like utah like it was their own personal playground. like to kick a few of these idiots right in the teeth...

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
The copy/paste from my SAWS E-Mail:

Here is just the start of what is going to be a not so pleasant 111th Congress for snowmobilers who support continued access to our public lands. This bill (S22) is just one of many bills supporting additional wilderness that will appear this year in the 111th Congress.

This bill still needs to be approved by the U.S. House before going forward for a signature of the President. You may wish to contact your U.S. House Representative and request that he/she vote no when the bill comes up for a vote.

Dave

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/12/massive-lands-bill-clears-filibuster/

Massive lands bill clears filibuster
2 million acres set aside on vote of 66-12
Tom LoBianco THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Monday, January 12, 2009
Senate Democrats flexed their new legislative muscle Sunday, using the first vote of the new Congress to break a Republican filibuster from the previous session of Congress, and advance a wide-ranging land-conservation measure.

The omnibus land bill would preserve more than 2 million acres of land, establish new layers of bureaucracy in the Bureau of Land Management, and designate former President Bill Clinton's childhood home a national historic site.

The bill's supporters, who had been stymied last year by a Republican filibuster, said the measure was long overdue.

"Some have suggested that these bills are not a priority deserving of Senate floor action. I disagree," said Sen. Jeff Bingaman, New Mexico Democrat, the bill's sponsor and chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee. "Many of the bills in this package resolve major land- and water-policy issues that have been contested over for years, and in some cases for decades."

A handful of Republican senators, led by Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn, bristled at the Sunday vote called by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

"When the American people asked Congress to set a new tone, I don't believe refusing to listen to the concerns of others was what they had in mind," Mr. Coburn said in a statement. "The American people expect us to hold open, civil and thorough debates on costly legislation, not ram through 1,300-page bills when few are watching."

But a large number of more-liberal Republican lawmakers, including Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski, sided with the Democratic majority to move the lands bill forward.

"On balance, this omnibus bill is widely supported," said Mrs. Murkowski, the ranking Republican on the Senate energy committee.

The 66-12 vote to end the filibuster was buoyed by 11 Republicans who voted with Democrats.

Mr. Reid, Nevada Democrat, said the Senate would not vote on the bill until seeing how President Bush and President-elect Barack Obama decide to use the remaining Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) funds.

After their first vote, Senate Democrats met, along with senior Obama economic adviser Lawrence H. Summers, to discuss what will happen with the remaining $350 billion of funds for bailing out the nation's financial institutions and what Mr. Obama will include in his economic-stimulus plan.

Sen. Charles E. Schumer, New York Democrat, called Senate Democrats to make sure that there will be stricter conditions put on the money and tighter oversight.

Sen. Richard J. Durbin, Illinois Democrat, said that while Mr. Obama's economic advisers provided some more details about their economic-stimulus proposal, he said senators have yet to receive anything "in writing."

The first vote of the Senate in the 111th Congress also marks a key victory for Mr. Reid over Mr. Coburn.

Mr. Coburn's allies in the Senate said the land bill, which is composed of 160 separate land measures considered in previous Congresses, is being rammed through the Senate with little debate.

"I smell the same stale air of good old boy, backslapping, lobbyist-driven politics," said Sen. Jim DeMint, South Carolina Republican. "This is not the greatest deliberative body in the world. This is the greatest chokehold body in the world."

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
it'll pass the house ...

I'll be absolutley flabberghasted if it doesn't.

If Obama was serious about change, he'd veto this bill and tell his own party "break this bill down, then we'll talk".

he won't do that though, that would become a political suicide for him.

it'll pass the house ...

I'll be absolutley flabberghasted if it doesn't.

If Obama was serious about change, he'd veto this bill and tell his own party "break this bill down, then we'll talk".

he won't do that though, that would become a political suicide for him.

Well of course it will pass. This is the change they want!!!:mad:

Why would Obama even think of a veto? This is the Obama, liberal, perfect storm.

This, and many of these bills, will pass in the next year or two.

So what is the question here? :confused:

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
it would seem, the question is.....how much are we pushed before we dig our heels in.

I wrote my congressman over a week ago and still not even a blanket thank you email:mad: This is why he lost my vote this fall.

mountaincat68papa

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls MT.
As Blue Ribbon Coalition writes in this months issue "The runaway Wilderness train" After 8 years of a liberal democratic controlled country its scary if there will be anything left for motorized users!! There is no common sense in Washington!!! Its the new tone of this Hollywood, (Bill Maher) outlook society. I just get pissed!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
All I know is, my entire way of life is under attack.

Riding snowmobiles, dirt bikes and quads is under attack.
People who work in the oilfield and the oilfield itself are under attack.
For that matter, anyone who makes a decent wage is under attack.
Anyone who isn't union is under attack.
Anyone who believes the government has no business holding stake in private industry is under attack .

Everything is under attack ....

I fail to see how things were so bad we needed all this "change" myself :rolleyes:

Premium Features