• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Time for a turbo, but which one?

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
Its time to put a turbo on the sled, but I can't figure out which one to go with. Any positive input would be greatly appreciated.

I'll start off with what I'm looking for:

I need a turbo for with throttle response for boondocking, jumping and tree riding, not hill climbing
I need something durable, I need it to be able to handle hard drops, tree hits, and lots of rolling...
I'm not looking (at this time) to run tons of boost, I'm thinking that 5-6 lbs just to give an advantage over my buddies
If possible run on 91 pump gas.
I would like a kit that I don't have to cut out everything under my sled.
Good customer service

The sled is a 2015 T3 163 and I usually ride under 1500m (5000ft)

The few that I'm looking at are
Boondockers. As I can tell one of the big players in the game, very good reviews however it looks like I have to cut out everything from under my hood, I don't really want to do this

TSS. These guys also have great reviews and since I'm from BC I think they would be easy to deal with however I can't find anything online about the install, do you cut everything out with their kit?

Silber. These guys have the install that I'm looking for, everything is nice and clean once done however I've read nothing but bad reviews, and the way I understand it they use engine oil through the turbo then put it back though the engine? I'm very new to this but I can't imagine that's a good thing?

What is the difference between turbo companies? It seems like they all run more or less the same turbos so is it just Mapping, airbox, installation and customer service?

Thanks!

800PowerFanatic

Aug 31, 2010
Buffalo, MN
I have a TSS low boost kit that I love. They send you a video install, it's easy. And for what it entails depends on which kit you buy through them. I've been hearing a lot of good things about boost it kits lately and I think they are located your way as well.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I had 2 different BoonDocker on XM's and I can honestly say the Impulse sleds I rode around had a lot more consistency and better luck than I had with both my BoonDocker sleds.

MrSledhead

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2011
Impulse isn't worth it with the exchange rate. TSS has gone down hill. In my honest opinion having owned one the Boost It kit is the only way to go. Based in Alberta and just came out with a pump gas kit you can't ask for much better. Didn't touch my control box once last season, truly pull and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Its time to put a turbo on the sled, but I can't figure out which one to go with. Any positive input would be greatly appreciated.

I need a turbo for with throttle response for boondocking, jumping and tree riding, not hill climbing
I need something durable, I need it to be able to handle hard drops, tree hits, and lots of rolling...
I'm not looking (at this time) to run tons of boost, I'm thinking that 5-6 lbs just to give an advantage over my buddies
Good customer service

Boondockers. As I can tell one of the big players in the game, very good reviews however it looks like I have to cut out everything from under my hood, I don't really want to do this

TSS. These guys also have great reviews and since I'm from BC I think they would be easy to deal with however I can't find anything online about the install, do you cut everything out with their kit?

Silber. These guys have the install that I'm looking for, everything is nice and clean once done however I've read nothing but bad reviews, and the way I understand it they use engine oil through the turbo then put it back though the engine? I'm very new to this but I can't imagine that's a good thing?

What is the difference between turbo companies? It seems like they all run more or less the same turbos so is it just Mapping, airbox, installation and customer service?

Thanks!

Did one TSS instaboost kit on 2014 xm. Trottle response is real good. Running 10 psi@sealevel. Mixing in 25% racefuel with pumpgas. Installed a little thicker bottom gasket to get a bit more squish clearance. Did not seem to sacrifice trottle response.
Install was managable with basic tools. Need to drill 2 holes in the belly under engine for cooler for WA cooler. Also had to cut open the airbox in the hood for air intake. Using stock location air intake.

Timelapse of install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00YcPSyC_rg

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
What makes one kit better then the other. Are you guys actually running these kits? Also can skidoo tell if I had a turbo on my sled, it still has warranty and it would be a perk if I cook a motor to be able to tear the turbo off it and take it in.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Being from BC I would go Boost-it. High quality,and awesome customer service. Very good running kit. Impulse also has a great product but with USD exchange rate not worth the extra $ if anything at all. IMO.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
What makes one kit better then the other. Are you guys actually running these kits? Also can skidoo tell if I had a turbo on my sled, it still has warranty and it would be a perk if I cook a motor to be able to tear the turbo off it and take it in.
TSS kit is going into season 3 now. 4000km on it now.

Imo, if your engine goes down and you have a turbo installed, you should pay for it yourself. If you foul the dealer to make a warranty claim, the cost of your new motor is spread out on all other consumers. Warranty cost is part of what determine the retail price of a product.

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Turbo Performance! Do the research guys....they have been doing turbo kits on the 800 Rotax since they were interduced! Yes I do own one by the way.....going on the fourth season and it rocks!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
This last season our riding group had most of the turbo builders in it and we had many days together to get a good feel for kits and performance..

All kits are fairly clean and perform fairly well, biggest advantages are fueling.. This is where you can see the difference, and when we swap from sled to sled the difference is shown quick

Tss with bosst it box ran good, I felt, heard the latest fuel box was even better, aero was ok unless their was changes needed, boost it low boost kit sounded very clean compared to the intercooler kit and perform well, Impuse seamed to be always dialled in and ran very strong

Big chunk of all there performance is dialling in clutching and gearing as well a skid that will hold skis down.. What most of the kits send out in clutching is a joke compared to what you really should have

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Fred, were all of the systems on the same sleds?

Not being a smart azz... just some sincere questions...

What leads you to believe that the big difference was the fuel system rather than turbo selection (compressor, turbine, housings), waste-gate design or exhaust location?

Were all turbochargers identical?

Last edited:

bmiller1985

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2013
merrimac, wi

Good customer service

Thanks!

I can go into way more depth if needed, but it's a lot of typing. I owned the basic and the expensive silber kits (yeah didn't learn my lesson right away). Absolute garbage crap kit that i regret daily. I still have the text messages from them saying they can't fix the lag on the bottom end and if i wanted better response i should get a polaris. Well i wanted a relaible motor, that's why i didn't buy a polaris. I ended up selling the kit and lost my butt on it at a swap meet. Even more awesome was Silber listed a brand new kit identical to mine on Ebay for $1,000 less than mine AND for $3,000 LESS THAN THEY CHARGED ME an hour after I listed mine, even though they sold it to me for 'below cost to help me out from the manufacturer defects and problems the kit had.'

I ended up going to the impulse, i talked to them originally and decided to save some money and have an easy install. Well let me tell you, you get what you pay for. Pay the extra, put in the time for the install, put good fuel in it and enjoy. The Impulse is by far the best kit between the two. I haven't ridden the others so I can't go over pro's and con's on them.

For your warranty thoughts, there's not. There's enough modifications no matter which kit (no matter what they say) that if someone knows what they're looking for they'll find it.

The low elevation you're running, I run sea level mainly at 10psi and stock internals. 91 octane is not a good idea at all, you can try but trust me, even at 3 psi you'll want at least 20% 100LL to good 91 or better. I'm running straight 110 and it's really not too bad, just throw a gas caddy on the back and go ride, just buy your fuel ahead of time.

One thing to watch/look into is the plastic manifold that runs your exhaust valves (rave valves). The thing is garbage and I've gone through a few of them. You'll know right when it happens because you'll think you took out a reed. This year I switched mine over to the 2011 800 etec rave valve vacuum system, which just replaces the plastic pos piece with individual lines and inline check valves.

So, buy the impulse.
-great throttle response
-high end kit that had some great thought and r&d put into it before it was released
-gas and go, no fuel box to tune, the thing auto-tunes as you go with their piggy-back ecu
-and i compared it to a pro with a silber at 10 psi and mine at 8 psi and i walked all over it, and his was tuned well.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions. If i don't have the answer i can probably tell you someone that does.

Have fun!

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I can go into way more depth if needed, but it's a lot of typing. I owned the basic and the expensive silber kits (yeah didn't learn my lesson right away). Absolute garbage crap kit that i regret daily. I still have the text messages from them saying they can't fix the lag on the bottom end and if i wanted better response i should get a polaris. Well i wanted a relaible motor, that's why i didn't buy a polaris. I ended up selling the kit and lost my butt on it at a swap meet. Even more awesome was Silber listed a brand new kit identical to mine on Ebay for $1,000 less than mine AND for $3,000 LESS THAN THEY CHARGED ME an hour after I listed mine, even though they sold it to me for 'below cost to help me out from the manufacturer defects and problems the kit had.'

I ended up going to the impulse, i talked to them originally and decided to save some money and have an easy install. Well let me tell you, you get what you pay for. Pay the extra, put in the time for the install, put good fuel in it and enjoy. The Impulse is by far the best kit between the two. I haven't ridden the others so I can't go over pro's and con's on them.

For your warranty thoughts, there's not. There's enough modifications no matter which kit (no matter what they say) that if someone knows what they're looking for they'll find it.

The low elevation you're running, I run sea level mainly at 10psi and stock internals. 91 octane is not a good idea at all, you can try but trust me, even at 3 psi you'll want at least 20% 100LL to good 91 or better. I'm running straight 110 and it's really not too bad, just throw a gas caddy on the back and go ride, just buy your fuel ahead of time.

One thing to watch/look into is the plastic manifold that runs your exhaust valves (rave valves). The thing is garbage and I've gone through a few of them. You'll know right when it happens because you'll think you took out a reed. This year I switched mine over to the 2011 800 etec rave valve vacuum system, which just replaces the plastic pos piece with individual lines and inline check valves.

So, buy the impulse.
-great throttle response
-high end kit that had some great thought and r&d put into it before it was released
-gas and go, no fuel box to tune, the thing auto-tunes as you go with their piggy-back ecu
-and i compared it to a pro with a silber at 10 psi and mine at 8 psi and i walked all over it, and his was tuned well.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions. If i don't have the answer i can probably tell you someone that does.

Have fun!
Do you have any pics and part numbers of the rave system you went with?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
Thanks for all the help guys. I've got a TSS lined up for a great price but I've also found a used areocharger for about $2000 less however I can't find any good reviews on the areocharger so I think i'll pass that one up. I've tried to get in touch with the impulse guys but with my hours email is one of the only ways, I haven't heard back but their kit is $3500 more then TSS as advertised online and I can't see how $3500 would be that much better with all the reviews on the TSS?

Side note I talked to the TSS guys yesterday, great guys to talk to, he spent an hour with me on the phone with no rush and lots of details.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Thanks for all the help guys. I've got a TSS lined up for a great price but I've also found a used areocharger for about $2000 less however I can't find any good reviews on the areocharger so I think i'll pass that one up. I've tried to get in touch with the impulse guys but with my hours email is one of the only ways, I haven't heard back but their kit is $3500 more then TSS as advertised online and I can't see how $3500 would be that much better with all the reviews on the TSS?

Side note I talked to the TSS guys yesterday, great guys to talk to, he spent an hour with me on the phone with no rush and lots of details.
You might want to talk to Redline as well. Looks like there coming along with some nice kits

Premium Features