• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best shop to upgrade stock 17 AXYS rmk piggyback shocks

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
Looking for solid advice on the best shop to send my 17 axys rmk walker evans clicker shocks to for revalving with better components. Looking at also adding triple rate springs. Would like to also know how the finished product compares to a set of raptors? Please add in the cost of the rebuild/revalve.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I always have Carls Cycle Sales in Boise Idaho (208.853.5550) do my shock re-valve. They have the valving dialed in for sure. Call them for pricing.

I will be adding the triple rate springs as well on all shocks this season, so cant comment on how well they ride at this time, but will report back later :)

Compared to raptors. . . dont know that either as i have not compared side by side.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
I always have Carls Cycle Sales in Boise Idaho (208.853.5550) do my shock re-valve. They have the valving dialed in for sure. Call them for pricing.

I will be adding the triple rate springs as well on all shocks this season, so cant comment on how well they ride at this time, but will report back later :)

Compared to raptors. . . dont know that either as i have not compared side by side.

Who's TRS KIT did you get?

MTDAD

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
MONTANA
SHOCK WORK

We have found for most riders that the raptor spring kit works very well. It s a great inexpensive way to get a pro and axys to ride and handle better. Help to side hill and gives them way better trail manners. We have done side by side testing and changing shocks around on the snow and have installed many spring kits .

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I will second carls revalve. They install fox pistons in the walker shock with their valve stack. Night and day better

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
One of the biggest concern on the walkers is the small orifice sizes and the mineral oil... the stock shocks need service quickly if you have a hard trail ride into the good stuff.

TRS revalve and oil spec work well on ProRide Chassis.... and I've been hearing the same thing about this on the AXYS-mtn sleds as well.

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
One of the biggest concern on the walkers is the small orifice sizes and the mineral oil... the stock shocks need service quickly if you have a hard trail ride into the good stuff.

TRS revalve and oil spec work well on ProRide Chassis.... and I've been hearing the same thing about this on the AXYS-mtn sleds as well.

Just picked up a new set of Walker Piggyback needles for the front of my AXYS through SLP(they are for 13-15 Pro) Best compromise upgrade I could find for the price with our crappy Cdn dollar. I would assume the oil situation would be the same on these after half a season. Not sure about the valving on the needles as compared to the stockers. I believe they are SLP spec though Walker, c/w SLP progreesive dual rate springs. I have a set of Raptor springs that I can try as well.

J
Apr 14, 2008
Shock work

Also would recommend Carls cycles in boise Idaho. Money well spent on there shock work. It is a modification that you can feel works better than stock. Have had probly 10 sets done and always happy with results.

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
SLP, I believe uses the ole Walker mineral oil... oil upgrade will give consistency through the season IMO... for low $$

MH, would it be worth considering to change the oil in the shocks before using them? What would be a good choice for shock oil and weight?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Last one Carls did for me... Walker Mineral on the revalve...that was a few years back on a ProRmk.

As far as doing it now or later... depends on if/when you want to pull the shock and send them in... mid season is a PITA IMO.

Premium Features