• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 rx1 mountain ?

K
Oct 14, 2010
Are these any good? Looking for something diff. I got a king cat now, how will it compare? Stock except under tunnel Exh , air box mod....

S
Dec 9, 2010
Wrangell, AK
Depends on what you're using it for. Out of the box they don't do very well... It took me a season to get mine setup (custom rider forward, tunnel extension, lightweight rear skid, 162 track, proper clutching, rejetting, ECP filters and Modded an r6 exhaust to work with the stock header) but now I pretty much keep up with any 800. Just takes some setting up.. The motor is like no other, the front end is VERY heavy in deep snow when stuck, but if you keep momentum it feels as light as just about anything... you can lighten up the rear pretty easy which helps getting it unstuck (mine is lighter than an xp in the back). Totallyamaha has a great forum dedicated to the old rx mountain and there are all kinds of tricks. You can get them pretty light for a minimal expense... and if you don't get crazy with boost the motors will last forever.

Keep in mind I'm a big dude, 6'4" 280. So I like a heavier machine, it's easier for me to throw around than a lighter one because of my leverage.

Believe it or not the "one ton" with my big *** can get airborne ;)
553606_10151160694866823_388072139_n.jpg

Where I ride
422009_10150818922388998_1964786728_n.jpg

Here's a vid of me climbing out of that same bowl (above) after haveing to turn out a few times from all the holes that where dug from sleds rolling. Had to side hill out of it... but it gives you an idea of what they're capable of if you can hold on for the ride! Sorry in advance for the crappy camera, my buddy had ice all over the lens and didn't know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqkbfobmjSg

RX-1

Somewhat of an echo, I like mine , now. It was pretty pathetic stock. I couldn't get rid of mine so I made it work. I suggest keeping the King Cat or going a different direction. I also have 08 Nytro and like it much better, should be better though. Unless Yamaha really changes something, I will buy one of the other guys sled next.

K
Oct 14, 2010
I think I will do a skid swap to coil over , new shocks in front and do that 09 tank seat swap, already did 09 tunnel update , forward post, front dump Exh , wrp running and a temporary boss seat...I will get one next year with a turbo and or super charger already in it..... I Deff want to try a 4 stroke turbo but I don't think I want it as my 1st for now....... Thanks guys

Premium Features