• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Rino GPS Units

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
whats the word, how are they working, i was looking a the 650 to replace my 530hcx but garmin recommened i stay with the 530 for use in the cold, as the touch screen wont work, i have had my gps's mounted on my dash down low, with a tether for the last 7 year, never had a ram mount fail yet there were a few 10-15 rolls all the way down the hill a couple of times that i was worried about but the ram mounts hold up great, i do have it close to the riser to protect it as well when it rolls. would like to hear some feedback be before i pull the trigger an try it

giddyup

I spoke with the Garmin Tech Dept today on the phone. There are NO known issues with the cold on the 600 series touch screen Rino's.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
We have 5 600 series Rinos in our group. The touch screen works awesome. Very easy to use. BTW, the one guy who bought the 610 regrets not spending the extra money on the 650. Lots of stuff you get for the extra 100 bucks. No one bought the 655, we didn't want a camera on our GPS. Got cameras, cameras on our phones and helmet cams. Enough cams....

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Hey Guys,
Any input from folks that have used the touch screen out in the snow? I have heard both works/doesn't work.
I do know that my phone touch screen is S-L-O-W in the cold, so it would figure . . . .

I would really appreciate input as shelling out 1K to 1200 bucks is an investment I would like to get right the first time.

Thanks.

Bag

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
Anyone know if the new 655T will download pics from the 5 mp camera to a PC?And how to do it?

Yes, it will download just fine. Hook a USB cable up to the unit, and my windows 7 machine will detect the memory card (I have it set to save all pictures to the micro SD card and not internal memory), and it will auto import them. If it does not, just browse the drives that show up in your My Computer or your mac finder, and find the DCIM folder to cut and paste the photos over. Works great.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Yes, it will download just fine. Hook a USB cable up to the unit, and my windows 7 machine will detect the memory card (I have it set to save all pictures to the micro SD card and not internal memory), and it will auto import them. If it does not, just browse the drives that show up in your My Computer or your mac finder, and find the DCIM folder to cut and paste the photos over. Works great.

what size card do you suggest?

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
what size card do you suggest?

Well, it will take SDHC cards which the 530HCx would not, and I went with an 8gb card myself. I bought such a big one because I thought it was possible to install maps onto the memory card, but I could not do it (this could have been fixed in a software update, not sure), so I have the whole 8gb card for pictures now.

If you were to get a card for just pictures, tracklogs, etc, I would suggest a 4-8gb micro SDHC card. Should be plenty for the size of pictures the 655t takes.

D

dale dalueg

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 3, 2011
I hear there is a new version to the 650 coming out with the camera in it. I love the camera in my Oregon 550, you just snap a picture and it saves it as a way point for you. When your done riding and having a cocktail later in the evening you can go in and add names to the pictures for your way points.

I've been holding off on the 650 hoping they would come out with an enhanced version to include the camera.

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
I hear there is a new version to the 650 coming out with the camera in it. I love the camera in my Oregon 550, you just snap a picture and it saves it as a way point for you. When your done riding and having a cocktail later in the evening you can go in and add names to the pictures for your way points.

I've been holding off on the 650 hoping they would come out with an enhanced version to include the camera.

Are you talking about the 655T? It's essentially the same as the 650 but with a camera. It's been out for awhile already.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Something Garmin doesn't explain very well is the difference between the 610 and 650-655. The 610 doesn't have an altimeter or an electronic compass. Both of those data points can be found with the GPS feature so it is a bit redundant. You can find your height and compass heading with the GPS. Garmin website shows these features so you know you aren't getting them on the 610. What they don't tell you about is that the 610 is only a 1 watt radio. The 650-655 can be set at 1/2, 1, 2 and 5 watt. The higher the setting the greater the range and the greater the drain on the battery. Nice to leave at a low setting most of the time, set higher if you can't get one of your guys to respond or you need to get some range. The other thing is that the 610 runs on AA batteries and the 650-655 runs on a lithium ion battery that you recharge. Lasts a LOT longer and is basically free to recharge and lasts for a few years. You can get a AA battery case for about $30 to use on the 650-655 and carry for backup too.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Something Garmin doesn't explain very well is the difference between the 610 and 650-655. The 610 doesn't have an altimeter or an electronic compass. Both of those data points can be found with the GPS feature so it is a bit redundant. You can find your height and compass heading with the GPS. Garmin website shows these features so you know you aren't getting them on the 610. What they don't tell you about is that the 610 is only a 1 watt radio. The 650-655 can be set at 1/2, 1, 2 and 5 watt. The higher the setting the greater the range and the greater the drain on the battery. Nice to leave at a low setting most of the time, set higher if you can't get one of your guys to respond or you need to get some range. The other thing is that the 610 runs on AA batteries and the 650-655 runs on a lithium ion battery that you recharge. Lasts a LOT longer and is basically free to recharge and lasts for a few years. You can get a AA battery case for about $30 to use on the 650-655 and carry for backup too.
is there a car charger for the 655t?

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
My 655t came with the 100k topo maps pre-loaded, but I have also installed the 24k topo maps, and I have birdseye satellite imagery for everywhere I hunt and most places I plan to ride.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Just picked up a factory refurbed Rhino HCx for 279.99 at Accupoint/The Garmin Store in Anchorage. Full Warranty on refurbs.

veruh happeh

Not a big fan of RAM mounts so now to fab sleeve/attachment system for the upper cowling on my new Pro (that space between the gas cap and bar switches is perfect for a GPS)

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Are you telling me the only way to operate these new Rinos is by touch ? Do they work with gloves ? Prob not. If thats the case Garmin chit the bed again. The 530 is a great piece but they only allow for 20 tracks which is useless. Why so many routes ????? So they address that issue and make a new version that is useless in a snowmobile application because of a touch screen. I cant imagine coming over a mountain range in 0 visibility in blowing snow storm having to take my glove off to operate this new Rino. Please dont tell me this is the case ?? If so i guess i have to keep my 3 Rino 530's. Booh

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Are you telling me the only way to operate these new Rinos is by touch ? Do they work with gloves ? Prob not. If thats the case Garmin chit the bed again. The 530 is a great piece but they only allow for 20 tracks which is useless. Why so many routes ????? So they address that issue and make a new version that is useless in a snowmobile application because of a touch screen. I cant imagine coming over a mountain range in 0 visibility in blowing snow storm having to take my glove off to operate this new Rino. Please dont tell me this is the case ?? If so i guess i have to keep my 3 Rino 530's. Booh

Glove friendly touch screen. :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features