• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts and input on new women's gear

SnowDolls is looking for input on our new line of gear. We are making gear exclusively for women. We want to know your thoughts on what it should look like, the fit, thickness, mid/base layer, sizes, bibs, pants, jackets, soft shells, colors....... If you have an opinion on what you would like to see happen with women's gear please let us know. We want to know your thoughts so we can incorporate them into our design.

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
You just opened yourself up to a whole bunch of ideas... All of them VERY different :)

There are companies that make women's gear, but they all seem to make sililar stuff IMO.

Here's my take on what's missing from the market for extreme women riders:

A good waterproof shell with no liner.
Lots of pockets.
Womens' specific fit.
Bibs should have a proper drop seat, if you make bibs.
Reinforced knees (not padding, just heavier material... I wear out knees).

Here's a few things that I have liked in past products:

Powder skirt.
Removable hood.
Softer material on the collars, and anywhere else that comes in contact with skin.
Those little snow cuffs on the sleeves.
Big pulls on zippers.
Snow cuffs on pants, or some way to attach them to boots.
Cargo pockets on pants... It's about the only place that I don't bump when I ride and I like to carry my radio on me.

I'm sure there's lots more, but that's a start :) Kudos on you for taking the risk. The women's market will be a tough one... It's very small, and women are fussy... I only say that from personal experince :)

Good luck!!!

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
Forgot to add venting...

My current jacket has venting in the wrong places... Under the armpits which makes it a little stiff and uncomfortabe.

Put the venting on the front of the gear so you get proper airflow, and mesh backing so they don't just flop open. My Fox MX gear has great venting. I would be happy wearing it on the hill if it was waterproof and held up better. Blew through the pants in half a season.

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Outer layer

I really like the removal hood on my HMK jacket. I didn't think that I would, but it sure comes in handy on those cold and windy days and could be a critical element in a survival scenario. But removal is key.

Shell with no liner, or a removal fleece liner. Vents - under the arm for sure! It would be cute if the removal fleece liner was a complimentary color to the shell, rather than the same color. But....once you enter the color discussion, well, LOTS of opinions on that topic. :face-icon-small-sho I find the liner is nice to wear when loading/unloading (if it's not snowing/raining), and if it's cute enough, you can wear it to the bar for some after riding festivites. :wine::wine:

Cut - the cut needs to be such that you aren't wearing a jacket that is bunched up when you put on your back pack. That makes me crazy!! Ladies-cut, slim-cut, whatever you want to call it. It should not bunch!! Oh - and it has to be long enough (IMO) to sit comfortably below your backpack and not ride up.

Pockets - placed where you can still get to them when wearing a backpack. The little ones on the outside of the arm of the coat are my favorite...for chapstick, a bit of candy, etc. I don't know about the MP3 option though...I don't know that many girls that ride with one. My TOBE jacket has one, and I use it for chapstick. :) I would like to see at least one pocket big enough for a small camera that is lined with something to keep the screen from getting scratched and keep the camera warm. Think like a google pocket but smaller.

Base Layer

This is where I see there is a gap in the market. You can buy from skiing vendors, but I hate to spend my money on companies that are supporting the enviro-nazi movement. But....they have all the cutest stuff!! :( I'm not sure how expensive the production costs are on these items. That may be why most sledding vendors have very few options for the gals. I love this stuff!

If you are riding in just your base layer (think beautiful sunny day!), if the patterns are only on the body of the garment, then no one is going to see it under your backpack or vest. Right? The patterns need to be one the arms and the neck area. It's GREAT if it's on the body for when you are back to the sno-park and hanging out in the trailer though too.

I'll be back with more ideas, if I think of anything.

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
I like the arm pockets too, also need at least one inside pocket to keep a camera, or other electronics so the batteries don't die, and lenses don't get fogged up.

I personally don't like the zip-out liner idea... I would just buy the seperate pieces and layer them up. Then a gal could mix and match.

I would rather see vents where you would get better airflow... My North Face jacket had them on the front in two spots, which was good... But need to have some kind of mesh backing so they don't get packed with snow. The armpit vents are uncomfortable... Zippers dig in when arms are at rest.

I probably already said this, but the gear should work with protective armor... I couldn't wear certain pads with my last jacket... Had to modify my chest protector and take out the shoulder pads.

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I personally don't like the zip-out liner idea... I would just buy the seperate pieces and layer them up. Then a gal could mix and match.

As long as the pieces are designed together, so that they compliment the fit across the shoulders, under arms, etc. Then that would be great!!

My HMK has a liner that is designed to zip together, but on the few occasions that I rode with the liner, I never took the time to actually zip them together.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
In total agreement with below. This is the hugest missing link right now.

I would so love to have a sledding specific base & mid-layer that is cute enough to wear onto the restaurant after riding! No cotton, no boy stuff, no old fashioned long john looking stuff. CUTE! ;) With options for us long legged and long armed kids. :)

Base Layer

This is where I see there is a gap in the market. You can buy from skiing vendors, but I hate to spend my money on companies that are supporting the enviro-nazi movement. But....they have all the cutest stuff!! :( I'm not sure how expensive the production costs are on these items. That may be why most sledding vendors have very few options for the gals. I love this stuff!

If you are riding in just your base layer (think beautiful sunny day!), if the patterns are only on the body of the garment, then no one is going to see it under your backpack or vest. Right? The patterns need to be one the arms and the neck area. It's GREAT if it's on the body for when you are back to the sno-park and hanging out in the trailer though too.

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
I agree with what Oregon Girl states, the venting is very important. Also, in the pants, no bibs for this girl :). I also am all for the zip out liner that is matching due to layering sometimes doesn't fit well with the mixed match items. My current Scott Pants have vents and I love, love, love that!!!! They also have a great fit not high on my stomach like typical pants. The knee pads are thin, but offer enough room underneath if I wanted to add others over my base layer.

A mid layer that wicks moisture that is stylish and can be worn in public without being offensive to others ;) would be awesome.

Velcro on the jacket collar is tough, it would need to have it where it doesn't get caught in my hair or scratch my face. Should also not be super bulky just enough to keep the snow from going down the jacket. Pockets, I love pockets, of course easy access while zipped up and wearing the back pack. Nothing is worse that having to take off gear to get to something in a pocket or go to the bathroom.

So, something that keeps us dry, is stylish and great fitting, venting and pockets........:D

so

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
Another reason to move the vents away from the armpits is you can't undo them with a pack on.

I had this thought the other day then lost it... Thanks Kristy!

X2 on the hair getting caught in the velcro and in zippers... I hate that!

No bulk......I want to be able to layer to stay warm and not feel like a marshmallow. Seems like a lot of womens gear has been made with bulky material to stay warm. I can't stand bulky gear. Cold gear Under Armour, a nice fleece thermal and a waterproof/windproof shell are enough for me to stay warm 95% of the time. But then again, I'm not the type of rider who sits on my butt, I stay pretty warm from riding hard.

As far as pants go, have to have re-inforced knees, butt area and cuffs. Some kind of heavy duty, wear resistant fabric that wont get wore down so quickly from constant friction. I have destroyed all of these areas. I personally don't like bibs, I prefer pants. The last set of pants I bought were actually made by Cloudveil. I bought them for the sole reason that they had a drop seat which makes it sooooo much easier to have potty breaks. They had detachable suspenders which i didn't use, but some people might like them. They also had water proof zippers all the way up the legs which were handy a time or two as well. I have actually LOVED my Cloudveil pants, just wish that they were re-inforced like previously mentioned. I don't think I can squeak another season out of them.

I like everyone's ideas so far! Looks like we are all pretty much on the same page?

P

PowderGirl

Nov 26, 2007
McCall, Idaho
www.facebook.com
Yep, the thin waterproof shell concept with attachable (and cute) mid layers is a must in my eyes! Pants too for me - no bibs or suspenders but instead a way to attach the jacket to the pant to make it a "powder suit". Good wrist gaters, venting, a few key pockets for items to carry on your body that are big enough for a camera or radio and that zip are nice but don't need a lot of pockets.

I absolutely love my 686 Smarty womens snowboard gear for the function, the fit, the fashion and features! Perfect for lots of movement and for a person who heats up fast but needs to layer up when it's getting cold. Cut gear and mid layers too and love the selection of style and colors. Lacks in the durability department in key areas like knees though and the boot cuffs could be better suited for snowmobile boots.

B
Jan 13, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA
I agree with the girls. Here would be my major sell points:

1. Women are not one size fits all. We are tall, short, chunky, and skinny.
2. A pocket for Chapstick!! I hate digging through layers to get mine out a little pocket on the sleve would be wonderful.
3. A pocket for the camera! Us girls love to take pictures (when we arn't showing up the boys) but a pocket that is lined enough the camera doesn't fog up. Body heat!
4. Cute and in all colors! I like Pink but in moderation, other colors (blue, black) can still scream thats a Girl on that sled without being in all PINK!

I'm so excited to see what you will come up with! :face-icon-small-win

M

MNSnowCat

Apr 13, 2009
MN
Gortex shell pants. I seriously like Klim gear, but can't fit into any of it. It's cut too skinny (in Women's), plus I'm not tall, so two strikes. Full length leg zippers are a must, too.

And I'm sooo tired of pink!

I also agree about the layering. I've resorted to UnderAmour base layers, and whoever's mid layers I can find that I like. I have a Coldwave jacket with great venting and pockets and a zip out liner (which I actually like and carry on the sled even if I'm not planning to wear it - you never know when the weather's going to change for the worst).

S
Feb 24, 2010
CO
I would definitely agree with more colors than pink, would be nice to have some of the colors of guys gear with a fit for women. Also some bibs for women that don't look lame and possibly have some way to keep the lining part of the pants in your boot, maybe like a elastic stirrup like stretch pants from the early 90's? Also some boots for women!! I just ordered some mens Klim boots in a size 6 that were wayy too big, I am hoping the 5 fits but if not it seems like I would be out of luck since they don't go smaller than that, and I usually fit in a size 7 shoe so my feet are an average size, so to have some boots that were made for a womens foot and in women's sizes would be awesome!

B

bigislandgrrl

Dec 17, 2010
Milliken, Colorado
Exactly!

I couldnt agree more with BrrraaapppGirl and MSNowCat! I love Klim gear but the sizes run incredibly small, fortunately I am tall, and can wear the mens, but it would be nice to have something as durable and effective in festive girl type prints or colors!

Real womens sizes for REAL women!!! Big gurls ride too, now THERE is a nitch to fill!!! Trap doors sound like a good idea, for those of us girls who ride all day, and end up needing to speak with nature!

Also, to the girly who mentioned mid layers that wont offend, Hells Yes sister! Im sick of looking like an umpaloompa in public!!!! Give me a nicer mid layer with a wide leg (i wear my mid layer over my boot, not sure if this is strange but...oh well if it is) something with a flattering fit, more like a microfleece yoga pant!

Premium Features