• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Impulse Turbo???

R
Aug 30, 2008
Looking at getting a Tapex. Why should I go with an Impulse Turbo system? It seems like the developer from Impulse has really come up with some neat ideas...Stand Alone FMS, ect.

Is there a Stand Alone developed for the Apex? Also, I noticed on their website that they can use a 3071 Turbo. How well does the 3071 work and is there any real noticeable lag?

Is there anyway I could test ride one of these sleds to make a more educated decision?

A lot of my friends have upgraded to 4 strokes...I feel a little left out. I rode BD Apex and absolutely loved it. It handled as well as my M7. It just felt a lot heavier. Wierd...Handled as well but A LOT heavier. Felt like a really reliable/dynamic sled.

Please educate me on why I should make the change from 2 smoke to 4 stroke?

Last edited:
T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Here are my thoughts. I have had many 2 stroke turbos, an Impulse Nytro and have a Bd Apex

Impulse makes the most power. I know this is opinion but when you combine the header, tial housing and monster downpipe it makes a ton. I know others make a lot but as a guy in Utah about how his old Alpine at 20lbs compares to his new Impluse race kit at far less boost

Impulse parts are the best. He spends the most money on his headers, intercooler etc. Look at the headers

Stand alone is a game changer. It is not out for the apex but will be next year. He wants to perfect it on the Nytro

Paul is a real business person. Most sled builders I have worked with simply are not. Paul understands customers etc

Impulse sleds are in high demand and resale is high. Look at the swapmeet for example at what sells, what is sitting and values

As many have said his customer service is amazing. He helped me before I had his kits and I have seen him take time to help others who don't run his stuff

I agree that the 4 stroke guys are lucky because Alpine and MCX make great stuff but Impulse is a step above. Watch Zeb, Travis or Waylin's Impulse race Apexs run boost for boost against another apex and you will quickly understand

Last edited:
T
Nov 26, 2007
MCX all the way 7000 km at 18 psi and have not had any problems at all. Just turn the key and go. Why don't you ask if any one else with any other kit can say that.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
MCX all the way 7000 km at 18 psi and have not had any problems at all. Just turn the key and go. Why don't you ask if any one else with any other kit can say that.

MCX has had its fair share of issues!

good kit... yes

perfect... far from it

R
Aug 30, 2008
Lets put aside the bashing between MCX and Impulse. I really want to know more about this Impulse kit. How does the 3071 work and how does the motor react to it? Who's Fuel system is on the Impulse Tapex.

What kind of intercooler are they using. What Air Temps are they seeing? Are they changing the cam, or are they head shimming?

These are all questions that I have that will determine my decision on purchasing a Turbo System.

I know at Fairview shootout last year Scott's Brother from Diamond S won the fairview shootout. I know he wasn't running a Impulse Kit.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Lets put aside the bashing between MCX and Impulse. I really want to know more about this Impulse kit. How does the 3071 work and how does the motor react to it? Who's Fuel system is on the Impulse Tapex.

What kind of intercooler are they using. What Air Temps are they seeing? Are they changing the cam, or are they head shimming?

These are all questions that I have that will determine my decision on purchasing a Turbo System.

I know at Fairview shootout last year Scott's Brother from Diamond S won the fairview shootout. I know he wasn't running a Impulse Kit.

dont know about the 3071 on the 4cyl motor I think zeb is running it? IAT, there are a ton of variables here. Impulse's own intercooler with probably the most upright and exposed setup for max flow and the best intercooler bracing on the market, NO BLOWN OFF INTERCOOLERS!

Stock cams, just changing cam timing itself

head shim at 9.3:1 comp ratio, pump gas 12lbs 5K feet and up, 50/50 15lbs, 18 straight race. And know some guys running stock internals up to 22 or so lbs with C16, which sooner or later is askin for trouble IMO.

Purelogic box with puals map, Mapped to about 23lbs

Standalone is in the works for the apex just not ready to be released to public yet.

As far as scotts sleds they were kits that they built themselves, and yes THEY HAULED A$$! But they were also $40,000 titanium sleds.

Last edited:
E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast

The 3071 is very responsive on the race kit. I would say, its the most responsive kit on the market when compared to others even with the 3071. Most guys that have the race kit went with the 3071. I believe i am the the only one running a 2871 on the race kit with a apex and went with the smaller turbo for even better bottom end and making power well past 20 psi. The intercooler is up right to get max air flow, i cant tell you exact air temps but it is cool to the touch for sure after a long pull. if you look close a some photos of other peeps sled you will see a ratchet strap holding guys inter cooler down. =When one blows off on a pull you may as well bail say your hail marry and hope for the best. Our inter cooler has two side plates and a bolt brace bracket pulling the intercooler to the throttle bodies as well as where the throttle bodies get clamped to the hose it is ribbed. Making it almost impossible to blow off. The header is near bullet proof and is truly a piece of art when you look close at it with the external wastegate.. As far as the fuel system goes for the apex you have two pumps one pumps from the fuel tank to the surge tank and and the a secondary pump from the surge tank to the throttle bodies so you wont run out on a big pull and fuel is controlled by running a pure logic box for now. impulse has there own stand alone system that he created. It is running great on the nytro right now and is near done for the apex.Seems it also made more power for the nytro so something to look forward to. Not sure if it will be out for the public this season seeing he is so busy making kits,but ya never know. As far as i know it needs some final tuning with the map.As far as power with this kit, I can tell you my sled was fast before with the bd kit and is way faster now at lower boost and plain stupid when you crank it up, response is like a two stroke no BS... phone Paul get him to answer all you questions hes a great guy and find out where there ridding.Maybe you can hook up for a ride with them.

As far as the mcx being the most reliable... give your head a shake as i recall all my stock exhaust parts i gave to my mcx buddies! And the nytro ones brake to.So keep thinking on why there the best. There a good quality kit but far from the best:beer;

Last edited:
J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I have an impulse apex, the standard kit not the race kit. It is unbelievable how fast and how much power they have. I couldn't imagine running the race kit at 18+ psi when my standard at 15psi is a lot to hold on to. I have to look into some suspension because there is no way I can keep the skis down on it.

The quality of his parts were the deal maker for me. He has the best intercooler by far, it is the most upright having the maximum cold air inflow. And the two side braces, throttle body clamps, uppipe clamp and the main bolt brace he puts on by the starter makes it so it won't ever blow off. Just every part he did was very well thought out. His header is really beefy with turbo support and locking nuts on the header so no bolts will back out.

I am running the head shim and adjusted the timing to the cam that he recommends. Its currently running the pure logic box with Pauls own map and is spot on. There is no lag on his setup that I could see and I have rode quite a few toys with turbos.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I think the 3071 is overkill unless you plan on running over 24 psi all the time and I run the 3071 and never had it over 22 psi.

So Zeb you gonna crank it up over 24psi this year and take some more vids for us? :cool:.......... Please :D

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I rode Zebs at 11 lbs with his changes this year and it was far faster than my BD kit at 15. If he hits 24lbs that thing is going into orbit

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Zeb..

Zeb... looks like your the one to beat. Cant wait to line them up with ya, i think ill give ya a good run.:beer;

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Ha ha, I may get it up to 24 a time or two this year. Hopefully we'll have a camera at the time.

Andrew, I'm just trying to keep up with your tm1000 that flat out rips! Honestly boost for boost I bet Andrews tm1000 and my Apex would be very even to about 15 psi or so. He may even pull me at those boost levels. That thing is fast.

Louie, I'm sure there are faster sleds then mine but I'm sure happy with it. With all those Alpine/Lakeside motors out there there should be some awesome competition this year.

Premium Features