• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Side Crank Seal Replace

mac

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Rexburg, ID
So, during my pre-season of the ride (08 Summit X 1100 miles) I found a little bit of grease on the crank seal cover plate. Called a buddy and he found the same thing about the same miles suggested I change out the seal. I got the $27,894 / oz Isoflex grease and a new seal. I'll finish that in the next evening or two.

Two questions: Should I assume the seal on the other side is bad too? Do I pack the cavity all the way full of Isoflex prior to installing the new seal or is the amount of grease needed not to be that full?

Thanks for the help in advance.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
So, during my pre-season of the ride (08 Summit X 1100 miles) I found a little bit of grease on the crank seal cover plate. Called a buddy and he found the same thing about the same miles suggested I change out the seal. I got the $27,894 / oz Isoflex grease and a new seal. I'll finish that in the next evening or two.

Two questions: Should I assume the seal on the other side is bad too? Do I pack the cavity all the way full of Isoflex prior to installing the new seal or is the amount of grease needed not to be that full?

Thanks for the help in advance.

I did mine and figured it was because the clutch was getting hot. I scraped all the grease out and put the same amount in will a little extra because of the leak. There is a specified amount to go in but how do you tell without redoing the eng. I have put on 500 miles on it with no problems. I aligned the clutches and have no heat issues also so the problem was probably there. I would think the other side is ok to run, didn't bother checking it because the stresses are not the same on that side.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
The problem could also be caused by a crank that is out of true. If you have your primary clutch off you might want to put a dial indicator on there and check your crank run out. The poor seal may be a symptom of too much "wobble" and if so you may have bigger problems coming than just a seal. I just went through this with mine and fortunately Skidoo warrantied the crank since it was so out of spec.

Premium Features