• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

**NEW** Skinz Protective Gear AirFrame Hood for the FX Nytro

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
based upon the demo riding we did last year in the trees...it wont be an issue, but knowing skinz, they will MORE than take care of you!!!

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Got to see this stuff in person at Haydays and WOW!

The new seat is really nice, 2" taller, narrower than stock, firm but comfortable.
;)!

P9120008.jpg

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Hey is it possible to take the mesh off the frame for painting or polishing?? Might add a nice touch!

mine will be painted a metallic red to show through...will post pics as soon as it is done...

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Here you go...As it will go onto the sled...except, I am going to add one little touch...it will show when the sled is finished...and I think a LOT of people will want that final touch... :)

IMG_0224Medium.jpg

IMG_0225Medium.jpg

IMG_0229Medium-1.jpg

IMG_0228Medium-1.jpg

The lighting is terrible, but it will look really nice with teh Red underneath in sunlight...Should be fun...

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Here is the one that I was NOT going to post, but I finished it, and really liked it...

Here is the optional Headlight Delete, so that you can eliminate the heavy light, and slap in a couple PIAA lights...will shave a couple pounds...but makes for a nicer sleek look, IMHO...

IMG_0230Medium.jpg

IMG_0231Medium.jpg

H
Nov 10, 2009
Denver
Well, it certainly looks different. Nobody has posted a weight yet. Wondering how much heavier it gets once its wet. The stock hood and windshield only weigh 3.8 lbs so its probably not the best bang for your buck if you're looking for weight savings. Should vent pretty good but some may say its too porous. Stock hood and the Roest Racing IP vent is my choice. $500 is a pretty bitter pill too swallow.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Well, it certainly looks different. Nobody has posted a weight yet. Wondering how much heavier it gets once its wet. The stock hood and windshield only weigh 3.8 lbs so its probably not the best bang for your buck if you're looking for weight savings. Should vent pretty good but some may say its too porous. Stock hood and the Roest Racing IP vent is my choice. $500 is a pretty bitter pill too swallow.

mesh is plenty fine enough for all types of snow...that is just a "competitor" trying to find something to chatter about...these have been out on M sleds for several years, and have never had an issue in the finest snow, and the wettest snow...only suggest would be to not vent your clutch cover...or it might get a small amount of snow in it...That being said, Skinz test the crap out of their stuff, and will stand behind their stuff...

I did this not for the weight savings, but for the venting...I have an intercooler right behind the headlight...Which also tells you, I carry enough power to overcome any weight issue...the material is not subject to increased weight with water, unlike the foam in your stock hood...

As to the price tag...it is exact same price point as other mesh hoods (+/- a few $)...

comparing a full mesh hood to a gauge vent is apples to cumquats...not same league...Roests $109 for 1/10 the venting and forces you to buy a gauge mount...but nice quality vent..

Last edited:
H
Nov 10, 2009
Denver
mesh is plenty fine enough for all types of snow...that is just a "competitor" trying to find something to chatter about...these have been out on M sleds for several years, and have never had an issue in the finest snow, and the wettest snow...only suggest would be to not vent your clutch cover...or it might get a small amount of snow in it...That being said, Skinz test the crap out of their stuff, and will stand behind their stuff...

I did this not for the weight savings, but for the venting...I have an intercooler right behind the headlight...Which also tells you, I carry enough power to overcome any weight issue...the material is not subject to increased weight with water, unlike the foam in your stock hood...

As to the price tag...it is exact same price point as other mesh hoods (+/- a few $)...

comparing a full mesh hood to a gauge vent is apples to cumquats...not same league...Roests $109 for 1/10 the venting and forces you to buy a gauge mount...but nice quality vent..

We are comparing apples to cumquats. Only the apples cost a buck a pound and the cumquats over 5!! The Roest IP vent comes complete with the gauge mount of your choice for that price. Combine it with some well placed lower vents and one could argue that it would be more than adequate. IMO the stock hood looks like it fits better. If you're not worried about weight why ditch the headlight? It works great and only weighs 3 lbs. Works better and looks much better than 2 Piaa lights.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
We are comparing apples to cumquats. Only the apples cost a buck a pound and the cumquats over 5!! The Roest IP vent comes complete with the gauge mount of your choice for that price. Combine it with some well placed lower vents and one could argue that it would be more than adequate. IMO the stock hood looks like it fits better. If you're not worried about weight why ditch the headlight? It works great and only weighs 3 lbs. Works better and looks much better than 2 Piaa lights.

Opinions...

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
LOL.....funny

"cumquats".....that's funny! Ok guys there are lots of options don't crap on someones post.... start a new one and spell ou the differences and your products benefits. Now How about one of these for the damn Apex.......been waiting for a while and finally some folks are starting to make things for them......now we need a hood to go with the seat exhaust set up you offer!:D

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
"cumquats".....that's funny! Ok guys there are lots of options don't crap on someones post.... start a new one and spell ou the differences and your products benefits. Now How about one of these for the damn Apex.......been waiting for a while and finally some folks are starting to make things for them......now we need a hood to go with the seat exhaust set up you offer!:D

I passed your interest along to Skinz and they are already looking at developing a AirFrame hood for the Apex so stay tuned....

Premium Features