• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone been to Japan

J
Jan 1, 2008
Northern CO
Tokyo-and surrounding areas. Make sure you take a trip to the Tokyo fish market. Go EARLY (4-5AM) and watch the live tuna auctions. Take in some Shabu Shabu (its worth the money if you like beef--obviously I do)--Oh and never touch the door handles on the cabs!!!

S
Nov 24, 2001
Lewiston, ID
ya the shows are a bit wierd. they makew me laugh even tho i have no idea of what they are saying. I lived here for 2 years a feww years back. the only thing i have left that i want to do is climb fuji.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Spent 2 weeks in Yokasuka.
There is so much to see it is unreal.

I used the train system while I was there to get around.
WOW, what a learning that was.
first off, it is impossible to stand in a crowd and not be able to see everything.
I'm 6'2" tall. I think the entire population of japan is 5' tall. I stood in the middle of a major train station in Tokyo and there was a sea of black hair all around me that only came up to my shoulder. I got some funny looks when I just started laughing.

I also discovered what all the guys in suits, wearing white gloves were for.
I was standing trying to figure out how to get on the train. It was full.
This guy walks up to me and starts speaking in Japanese. Of cource I don't understand.
So he points to me, and then points to the open doors.
Of cource I nod yes, he smiles, waves to 3 other guys.
2 guys grab me and start "helping" me get in the train. This consists of pushing like crazy while everyone tries to get out of the way.
The other 2 guys were pushing the doors shut.
They were mighty proud of themselves when they got the doors shut.
Hand shakes and head nods all around.
I'm plastered up against the doors like a window shade.
When we got to the next stop it was like a jack in the box. I popped out.
These school girls were all giggling when it happened.
I guess I had a pretty funny look on my face.
The black trains a hoot.

Also, don't drink a soda or anything while walking down the street.
It's considered rude.
I found this out the hard way also.
Nothing like getting chewed out by a little old lady who is yelling at you in a language you don't understand. Her grand daughter was nice enough to translate.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
my Dad spent time in Japan in Hiroshima and Nagasaki in the 40s...but he says be careful what you eat cause we were born with one eye and weird limbs...so watch what you eat

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
If your there with the wife and kids your probably not parting much. But if you do want to you must go to Ropungy. (SP) It is the international college district and is a blast to go party at. Its really expensive though. For site seeing you must climb Mt Fuji. Its a really easy climb, switch back the whole way. A trip to Nagano is worth it too. Take a Bullet train, its fast. Yamaha has a proving ground there. A big Mac was seven bucks the last time I was there how much are they now?

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
I spent a few weeks there for work, get off the computer and get out and see the sights, my 2 favs are Imperial Palace and the Japanese Sword Museum

G
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Took the wife and our 9 month old at the time to Japan and spent 10 days in Okinawa and 4 days in Tokyo. Awesome trip...loved fishing in Okinawa, the people there were great, Tokyo was great to see, took the little one to Tokyo Disney. Tons to see and do in both places.

If you are in Okinawa you've got to hit the Banana Show.

S
Nov 24, 2001
Lewiston, ID
Took the wife and our 9 month old at the time to Japan and spent 10 days in Okinawa and 4 days in Tokyo. Awesome trip...loved fishing in Okinawa, the people there were great, Tokyo was great to see, took the little one to Tokyo Disney. Tons to see and do in both places.

If you are in Okinawa you've got to hit the Banana Show.

You didn't eat the naner did you? you dirty monkey.

S
Nov 24, 2001
Lewiston, ID
I spent a few weeks there for work, get off the computer and get out and see the sights, my 2 favs are Imperial Palace and the Japanese Sword Museum

I lived here for 2 years. I am just here to see the inlaws. We were going to go to disney land and the aquarium but the twins are not ketting us do much. it's one or the other that just will not be good. maybe next time when they are older.

G
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
You didn't eat the naner did you? you dirty monkey.

Hell no...she kept pointing at me and saying "Come here cowboy...come up here with me" and I was trying to dive into a corner. The Mrs. in the meantime was doing everything she could to get me up there. The worst part of the while night was before we all went down to Gate 2 Street and my inlaws cooked us a nice dinner complete with banana pudding for dessert.

G
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I heard that too...someone also said that she was trying to get her grand daughter to take over. We always joked around about my sister in law having season tickets to the Banana Show.

Premium Features