• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooke City Snow Conditions 08/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LSB

Ok, I figured its about time to start this thread off this year.

Since Thanksgiving is almost here and I know people are wanting to know conditions I took the new RZR out to see how far up I could get. There were a few people actually out road riding sleds as well. Lucas from the Exxon was out so Im sure he'll have something to share on Snowest. Anyway you could easily ride from town if they weren't still plowing over the pass. But thats not a big deal, since the snow starts from the second you get off the highway. Ive added some pics of the lower parts of the trail in the pictures section. I was in the RZR so I could only get a little ways past the cut across on both Daisy and Lulu sides. Thats a good thing, it means it just gets deeper from there. Ive included some pics so you can see how down low its thin, which isnt too uncommon this time of the year. With one more dump it'll be like most Thanksgivings are I'd think. Just be careful and do not try getting off trail till your higher up!
cc1122a.jpg

cc1122b.jpg

cc1122c.jpg

B
May 22, 2008
Would like to come out thanksgiving and thanksgiving weekend. But would be from 900 miles away... don't know if its worth it yet.......

L

LSB

bunnyboy I know there are many guys wondering the same thing. Im going to get out today on the Tundra and try to really get back in there and scope things out. I will have pictures of course. We just got another dump last night. The snotel only rose a few inches but we got that much in town as well. Im thinking theres more higher and further in. Ill let you know either way.

B
May 22, 2008
bunnyboy I know there are many guys wondering the same thing. Im going to get out today on the Tundra and try to really get back in there and scope things out. I will have pictures of course. We just got another dump last night. The snotel only rose a few inches but we got that much in town as well. Im thinking theres more higher and further in. Ill let you know either way.

Thank you, Let us know. Also looking at the weather ahead, Maybe possible decent big snow?

L

LSB

Ok so I took the Tundra out to really get an idea of how things are. I posted plenty of pics in the picture section for everyone to see. I was able to ride right from town. I went up Daisy Trail first. I didnt get off trail till you get a few miles up. As I show in a few of my pics it is thin down low, which should be expected for this time of year. There are rocks and all sorts of things to look out for. Higher up though I went everywhere with fairly good confidence. You can usually tell when something should be avoided. I was even able to drop off of Daisy Pass which I show in a picture. I climbed back up the backside towards Lulu Pass. The top of Lulu was windblown and bare as I show in a pic. I dropped down Lulu and headed to Round Lake. Once up the Round Lake trail I detoured through the trees and boondocked my way below Sheep Mtn to wind up at Round. In there it was even better conditions I felt. I stayed off the lake since I was alone so I cant say anything there. To wrap it up the riding wasnt bad for this time of the year. Down low you need to stay on the trail. Once you get further into the backcountry you can venture around much more freely, just keep your eye out for bumps in the snow.
cc1123a.jpg

cc1123b.jpg

cc1123c.jpg

cc1123d.jpg

cc1123e.jpg

cc1123f.jpg

cc1123g.jpg

cc1123h.jpg

cc1123i.jpg

cc1123j.jpg

Last edited:
Status