• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 nytro, scary first ride

K
Dec 1, 2010
So I just went on my first ride, and I have to say it was scary to say the least. Please keep in mind that I am a total Yamaha guy (I got a R6, 08 Grizzly, and 09 wr450f) so it was only natural to get a Nytro, but the darting and pretty much an uncontrollable sled was a huge disappointment. I am not giving up, I want to fix this issue, I know I can shorten the front strap (btw how is that done?) but the main question I have is this,
should I go the the snow tracker (aggresive or semi)
should I go with 4.5 studboy deuce wear bars
or replace the whole ski, but to what? simmons, or ski doo pilots or maybe this new split rail ski? Thank you.

Mtn-Track

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
N/E, CO & GL, CO
Do you ride mostly trails or off-trail, mountains or flat-land, and mainly what part of the country? Boondocker? Sidehiller? Ditchbanging? Your responses to these ???'s will get you the best suggestions...

R

ROBERTSONYAMAHA

Oct 28, 2010
Swift Current,SK
Best all around setup to fix the "SCARY" Issue would be...

- CR Racing Steering Relocate Kit
- Simmons Ski's
- Fox Float Shocks
- Remove Sway bar

Makes a huge difference all around. But still not quite as nice as the 2010's up front for newer riders. I prefer the narrow stance of the old ones compared to the new wide stance for the mountains and playing around, but on the trails the wide stance is nice! Give me a call and I can get you what you need to make your nytro more managable. Cody (306) 773-4948

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Go to 1 inch shorter front shocks suck in the limiter strap and remove the sway-bar.

Done:face-icon-small-win it will make you happy did one like that 2 years ago and the guy is happy as can be. Very nice riding sled.

Last edited:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Also check the simple things first...these sleds need to have a good alignment on the stock skis or they'll be all over the place. Off the top of my head I think it is 1/8" toe out. Someone please chime in if I'm wrong on that.

K
Dec 1, 2010
After looking at all suggestions, I did the following, I have the floats at 67, shorten limited front strap one hole, and changed to double carbide arrow ski.
The difference is amazing, I finally enjoyed the ride, actually I loved it. Again, I cant understand why Yamaha puts out such a great sled with such horrible ski.

K
Dec 1, 2010
After fixing the handling issue, I wonder if there is a way to fix the heavy steering at very low speeds, or is it something that I just have to live with?

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
By shortening your limiter you increase ski pressure
I would think you went the wrong direction
Increase ctr shock preload or lengthen limiter will take away heavy steering feel

K
Dec 1, 2010
there is not much difference (to me at least) with the heavy steering with the strap shorten one hole, is there any remedy for this?

K
Dec 1, 2010
I put on kimpex arrow ski (dual carbide) and the handling is fine. You think that the simmons gen 2 would fix the heavy feel at low speed?

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
Simmons gen 2, Don't do that for a trail ski.
That will be even harder to steer.
I would say either live with it or try a different ski, curved bottom
like pilot or curve xs

Fireman35

Lifetime Membership
Aug 11, 2009
Burlington,WI
There is a new front end kit for the 08 nytro to change the heavy steering on the front end. 09 ball joints and tie rods and itll change the angle of the spindles and help with your problem. itll cost you a couple bucks not worth the difference in my opinion.

K
Dec 1, 2010
I guess the heavy steering feeling comes from the heavy machine, in the end I suppose not much can be done,
I only feel it at low speeds, so I am done with low speed. LOL

Whats a trail? While the wife and I love our apexs our kids ride Nytro MTX's. I agree if you have a mechanics that can set one up is the key. I have heard people complain about almost every brand and most of the time it comes down to set up. When I lived in Michigan people would stud the hell out of the track but never balance with better carbides or to much carbide and no studs and the *** end would slide. Out west it is shock settings and alignment issues proper clucthing for the altitude etc.

The nytro is a great sled. Just find a mechanic that knows how to fine tune the machine.

K
Dec 1, 2010
right now we have a great winter for riding, so I can live with it, but in the spring/summer I going to play with the mechanics/alignment

Premium Features