• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What GPS should I get

garmin gps

I use a garmin GPSMAP 60csx. I got the 2Gb card for mine and loaded a bunch of maps from mapsource.
This gps is super user friendly, yet high quality.
I use this in Labrador.
Everything from hunting to weekend trips to the mountains. also, can be used in boat or in car.
Highly recommended.

C

chuckbernard

Jan 7, 2008
Ok, so I've been using several GPS units from Garmin, Delorme, and Magellan.

Magellan: Sportrak, Triton 400
Garmin: 60cs, 60csx, Colorado 400T
Delorme: PN40SE

For "pure" GPS features the 60csx just cannot be beat. Period. It acquires lock almost instantly when turned on, it holds an accurate lock in places the others cannot touch. I ride in forests and ravines and the 60csx is the only GPS unit that has been able to accurately track my path.

On the downside it is a bit dated and some of the other GPS units can store more track points per "saved" track. 500 vs. 10,000 or more.
I like the fact that some of the available features are more technical and rich than any of the other units. It is almost as if all of the manufacturers have dumbed down the interface to meet the average Joe's intellect. (Note, DON'T buy the old 60cs. Make sure it is the 60csx model as it has a much better chipset which works faster and much better. The screen is readable in all light conditions. Probably the easiest of all models mentioned here.

The Delorme PN40 has the most features for geo tracking and other things. It would be superior to the Garmin 60csx except for it is slow at locking and cannot hold a lock in all the same places. Also, the screen is smaller and more difficult to read. Especially when riding. Note that I mount all of my GPS units on my dash of my snowmobile so that I can use it as I ride. Necessary during the night or in storms where the tracks disappear. The PN40 is capable of displaying satellite images and color areal imageswhich is a super nice feature BUT the resolution is too poor in my opinion. Still, this is a great unit for walking about.

The Garmin Colorado 400t is so bad that I'd give it away except that I couldn't do that to anyone. I'm just waiting to smash it into pieces and send it back to Garmin. The screen is so bad that it borders on unusable! The interface is horrible (although the Oregon's interface is better but the screen still sucks!). And it can just fly hundreds and hundreds of yards from your current position for no reason at all. If you buy one of these then I'll laugh at you for not listening.

The Magellan Triton 400 is another unit that should have been excellent. Just too many bugs in the software to be usable. Locking isn't nearly as good as the 60CSX either.

Delorme has a new model (PN60) which can communicate with a matching SPOT satellite unit so that you can text message from anywhere from your GPS to any list of cell phones you have configured. It also will send emails to a list of whoever you have configured. For this reason alone you may want to consider this setup. It can call for helicopters and rescue crews if you hit the SOS button and it will broadcast your exact location to the authorities. You can also have it send your tracks to the internet where users can track your progress during your rides. This is the most expensive option but if budget doesn't matter and having someone come and save your life is important to you then this is what you should buy.

By the way the GARMIN radio units are interesting if you have friends which have them also. They are much larger than the other units and are much more difficult to mount on your snowmobile dash if you have one. I believe one of the units is as good as the 60CSX although it may have been discontinued.

B
Nov 26, 2007
I have the rino 530 hcx, had it about three years now. NEVER had a problem with it, locks on fast to Sat. Pulls a signal in heavy cover, deep ravines, cloudy conditions, in my windshield bag. The battery last forever. Have seen some of the others talked about, nothing touches the 530 hcx!! The radio feature is awsome, plus if others in your group are using them, you can find their location. Down loadable maps, topo or City. You can even text others in your group, really a awsome GPS!

Premium Features