• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

G4 Leaking Brake Fluid Reservoir

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Hello--
Went to add brake fluid to my 2018 850 Summit X. It started leaking fluid, apparently coming from where the reservoir meets the master cylinder. Put the lid back on, and it quit. I would guess it leaks now and then, since it appeared to need fluid.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

And, if I go to tighten down or to change the reservoir, how is it attached to the master cylinder?

Thanks!!!

Flyn Or Dyn

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2009
Wisconsin
In the bottom of the reservoir there is a button cap screw. I believe it is an allen head. The plastic could possibly be cracked. I took my plastic one off and put a aluminum one on.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Thanks to all. I was thinking of the warranty and dealer, but I saw a listing for a metal aftermarket reservoir, and am still kicking around that idea. Doesn't matter if its plastic or aluminum-- the right tree branch or the right roll-over is going to wipe it out someday.
03rmk800

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
Tki inc brake reservoir protector is like $50 bought one after a rollover cracked my reservoir. No problems since and can still take the cap off to add fluid if needed without taking the protector off

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Thanks to all. I was thinking of the warranty and dealer, but I saw a listing for a metal aftermarket reservoir, and am still kicking around that idea. Doesn't matter if its plastic or aluminum-- the right tree branch or the right roll-over is going to wipe it out someday.
03rmk800

I doubt warranty, since you probably hit it, TKI reservoir protector is the best money you can spend, bolt on and ride....wont ride without ever again!

T
Dec 19, 2016
Mapleton Utah
Wished I would have taken a picture of the quaky bark under my lid to reservoir after this minor bump. https://youtu.be/32rlvGOm4Qo. It took an hour to dig outta this alone. I couldnt touch where my bars scraped the bark off cause I was trenched out so bad. A lot of bad decisions was made but I'm gonna order a tki next chance I get.

Premium Features