• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

YZ450FX Reviews and Helpful Setup Tips

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
I am ready to upgrade from my older YZ450F. The FX looks promising. I have read a few threads addressing speculation on how the new blue machine could/should work. Tough to dispute the reliability of the blue brand! Now that we have had some snow and the FX has been out for more than a month some reports would be nice!!

My biggest concern is the jump from 2nd to 3rd gear under a load. Is this valid?

How does the FX measure up to the KTM SXF/XCF and Husky FC 450s?

I know many of the mods to newer FI YZ's will help as the two bikes are nearly identical.....What are the must haves? Airbox mods? Pegs? Thermobob? Engine Jacket?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
15lbs heavier than the YZF is a lot on the snow. Rode with an FX yesterday but it was at the back of the pack all day and I never rode it. I do know that it feels pretty heavy loading it into the pickup.

The weight alone would keep me from considering it for a snobike.

B
Dec 17, 2015
I bought one to run along side my 2014 factory edition 450 sx so my girlfriend can ride, and the yz450fx is the preferred bike for both of us (we have spent our last few rides fighting over who gets to ride the 450fx).

The bottom end torque on this bike is insane, and while the peak power is about the same as the KTM (maybe slightly more, hard to tell) it definitely carries that power farther into the higher rev ranges making the WR transmission not an issue at all. In fact, I found the low first gear useful, which I didn't expect to, so I would say I actually prefer it over the CR transmission.

I did not notice the extra weight at all, and actually like the overall feel of the bike better than my KTM in terms of smoothness, stability, balance, etc. Also comes with skidplate and bigger stator which saves some $$$. I like the airbox location much better too since the KTM filter was getting clogged a lot (although even the FX got clogged once in super deep powder, I think this can be remedied much easier on the FX due to the filter location). It is also nice that there is no air box modification required if you run a TSS, it just fits right in.

I am pretty sure this will be the bike of choice for many people once people start riding them, which I don't like much since I like being a little bit unique and I have a feeling there will be a sea of blue bikes with tracks on them fairly soon (I was actually leaning towards the FC450 for that reason since they are rare in my area).

You will need to buy a left YZ footpeg mount though or the track will rub on the mount for the kickstand. Also be prepared to respring the front suspension since it is set up much too soft stock. I would consider this the only "must-have" mod that isn't 100% necessary for the YZ450F.

I had the same concerns as you when I first bought it, so I am not just a yamaha "fanboy".
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3896341

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
I got my first of 3, 2016 Yamaha YZ450FX on Tuesday and had it on the snow with a 2016 CMXBK120 on Wednesday. I have spent the last five days riding this bike, my 2015 Yamaha YZ450F KMS turbo, and my 2010 Husaberg FX660 NOS bike. Every person in my group of friends preferred this new YZ450FX, including myself. I do not care if it was a first time rider to an experienced vet.

I have been riding a stock 2015 Yamaha YZ450F with TS 120 and TS 137SX all last year and truly loved it. That bike had the same mods I did to my FX's this year. it was a heavy torq monsters at the bottom of a 3" woop and came out the top on the rev limiter. Out of the box it was the best bike I had ever ridden!!!!!! If it only had the easy button.

This year the power is Identical. I did install all of the items I sell. Intake pod filter, ThermoBob, Yz left side foot peg, EarthX battery, Promoto billet risers, bark busters, AME grips, and a GYTR slip on muffler. What a bike!!!!!! I let this bike set out of my trailer over night down to -25deg. F and hit the start button at -10deg F. three times and it started and idled flawless. No throttle, no gas on the filter, NOTHING!!!!!! The gearing is PERFIECT, usable first gear, 2nd is faster then you want to ride the tight, steep trees, and third is easy to pull with all that bottom end torq when you clear the tight trees and can open it up. I have always preferred the Moto style close ratio transmission. I would not want it on this bike. The gearing is PERFECT!!!! It feels the same, very light and flickable as the 2015 YZ450F.

I can not wait for my DieHard orange friends to ride this bike.

You cant find one orange guy that has a 2016 450 that will start on the button at -10deg.

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
This weekend I rode a 450fx, ktm 450sx, husky 500, kx 500, mod 300 and stock 300 back to back, all bikes had LTs except my mod 300 had a sxlt. I liked the 500 and 450fx the best of the 4 strokes, if I was going to mod one I would go 500 because there is a lot you can do to it now, if I was going to keep it stock I would go fx. The fx had great power, the gearing was perfect, I liked it better than the close ratio 450, I owned a 450 sx 2 years ago so I have a lot of experience with it. The fx felt a little heavy, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. It started easily all day and at 0 in the morning. I don't see any reason it wouldn't make an excellent snow bike!

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
What year was the KTM 450SX?

This weekend I rode a 450fx, ktm 450sx, husky 500, kx 500, mod 300 and stock 300 back to back, all bikes had LTs except my mod 300 had a sxlt. I liked the 500 and 450fx the best of the 4 strokes, if I was going to mod one I would go 500 because there is a lot you can do to it now, if I was going to keep it stock I would go fx. The fx had great power, the gearing was perfect, I liked it better than the close ratio 450, I owned a 450 sx 2 years ago so I have a lot of experience with it. The fx felt a little heavy, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. It started easily all day and at 0 in the morning. I don't see any reason it wouldn't make an excellent snow bike!

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
Thanks for the input!!

Sounds like gear ratios are a non issue.

For me weight is a not even a consideration in the decision between a KTM/Husky VS a FX. With the colder than normal weather we have had in WA the last few weeks I have seen the limitations of the electric start only bikes. Especially in the morning, bikes are cranking slow even with 0 weight oil. Guys are carrying the back up jump packs on their backs as a precaution.....those weigh around 6 pounds.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I just returned from another trip riding my FX. Previously had a 10 yz450f with dr d pipe basically stock except for pipe an mapping and rode my buddies 2012 yz450f yoshis pipe this weekend back to back . The weight difference wasnt that noticeable riding in the tight stuff but lifting the bike or flipping it over is when i could really notice the weight difference on my fx.. Power on the bottom end the 12 yz450f is so much snappier and responsive bottom to mid. My fx bottom end is slow roll on power in comparison once in mid range it comes alive Im pretty sure the fx has a heavier flywheel which isnt helping for bottom end snap. I put in a different map this trip its supposed to wake this motor up abit but i didnt notice any difference next time i will bring tuner with and swap maps back to back and see. Maybe a pipe will wake the bottom end up abit either then that Im happy. The wide ratio tranny is a non issue 2nd is the gear in the tight stuff and making it up steep stuff, rolls 3rd in the flatter stuff and the tall 5th on trail im hitting 62 mph totally check out on the close ratio bikes passing sleds lol its so nice not to be screaming on the trail like my old 450..

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Guys are carrying the back up jump packs on their backs as a precaution.....those weigh around 6 pounds.

They must be carrying some crazy big backup batteries..or lead acid. Ha. A full size lithium battery, from Antigravity, for a bike is 1.7 pounds. But you don't need a backup battery; only a lithium jumpstarter.

The appropriately sized Antigravity microstart weighs 6 ounces (.375 pound) and is 5" x 2.8" x .5" and will start a V6 automobile. The next size up, that will start V8 trucks, is 10 ounces. They make two sizes larger with the heaviest being 18 ounces (1.125 pound) and will jump start a diesel or power a laptop.

So the 6 ounce one is actually lighter than the kickstart and supporting hardware (they make a kickstart delete for the FX and I think it is supposed to save around 2 pounds).

A few on here have needed to use a microstart for the first start of the day, particularly if their main battery is lithium. Once the battery and bike are warmed up, not again. So really you could leave a microstart in the truck once you do the first start of the day. Other options could be to warm the engine thoroughly at home before heading to the trail or put a heater or warmpack on the motor to get the temps up a tiny bit. All a pain compared to just kicking it or hitting the button, but doable if extremely cold temps are expected.

That being said, I'll take the backup kickstart over none (even though I already own one of the battery starters).

As far as weight goes, where is the extra weight of the YZFX over the YZ? Might be some in the swingarm/wheel/breakguard which is removed. Probably most of the weight, once snowbike kitted, is for the starter/battery/stator. one would think that would be centrally located and not that noticeable for picking up from it's side, but more noticeable if you are straight lifting it, dragging it, or from it's side facing down hill. But then, every 5 - 10 pounds makes a difference at elevation and huffing and puffing in deep snow. Ha.

Love the reviews, guys. Keep 'em comin'.

Last edited:

800tundra

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Dapp, Alberta
Any more ride reports , likes and dislikes regarding the FX? Comparisons to other brands? Thinkin this may be my next snowbike. :face-icon-small-ton

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
looks like the new 2017 450fx does not come with a kickstarter according to the net? The yamaha page does not specify, but some of the pics the bike has one others there is just a rubber plug. My dealer is not sure but says it most likely does not have a kicker, but you should be able to add it, (aprox 400$ in parts) but there is a slight chance the engine internals would not allow it, does anybody know for 100% sure if it comes with a kicker or not and also if not can you add it? I was wanting to be on an fx this year, there is a new 2016 I can get that has a kicker stock, id rather buy a 16 with it than a 17 without and have to pay to add it.

N
Dec 18, 2015
Im running 3 x YZ450FX, KTMSXF450, Husky FC450 and KTM450EXC (KTM & Husky are Euro config here in Japan) all 2016 models
Observations are:

Static Weight - not much difference between any of the bikes to lift and haul. Note that alot of the extra weight in the specs on some bikes are the tyres... MX tyres are much lighter... much less rubber then enduro / cross-country.... those get removed for a snowbike anyhow!!.. but yeah the EXC and YZ are heavier then the SX and FC... those new generation bikes are amazing. Also all bikes get a heavy battery for winter... so that also levels the playing field more. But lifting and moving... meh!... not a big issue.

Dynamic Weight - YZs feel the heaviest when riding... heavy stable.. not heavy sink into the snow. EXC much heavier feel then the SX and FC but only slightly lighter feel then YZ. Now the SX and FC.. the new gen engine / frame.. very light nimble feel... heading towards 2stroke nimble. Nimble is good... but more tiring on along ride.

Power! - Standard tuning YZ has low down tractor like grunt... thins out at the top... BUT its tuneable with the handheld computer (Project for this season). SX & FC wow... new gen engine is amazing... bottom to top... EXC... easy relaxed power throughout the range but less then the rest.

Timbersled install - YZ is a no brainer versus KTM & Husky. No need to cut plastic mounting the TSS like on the KTM & Husky

Air Box Mods - In Japan we get really light invasive powder.. it gets into anything real quick.
The KTM & Husky required a snorkel through a hole cut out the back of the airbox and its painful to route around the TSS Shock ... you don't want them in contact and it gets crowded back there. Husky airbox modification is a bit easier then KTM because of how easy the structure around the airbox is to disassemble... but don't touch the carbon stays!
YZ Airbox seems simple at first block the standard intake with foam drill holes add frog skins... but snow still gets in... sooo... plan on drilling a lot of holes into the airbox cover if you ride in a light powder snow area to minimise the air pressure and hence suction of snow into the airbox. I also added the airfilter wash cover drilled full of holes and wrapped in the dust cover mesh. After a bit of trial and error it now works well.

So we run customers with tours on these bikes... EXC was the easiest bike to ride... FC / SX most dynamic... YZ solid in the middle.
Comments... YZ Clutch is HEAVY... the Hydraulic clutch on the KTM / Husky was much easier after 2/3 hours on the bike those with smaller hands really noticed the difference. Anyone that was tired and dragging their heels we put them on the EXC to cruise home. Those that wanted to go hard FC/SX ... YZ again sits in the middle.

Maintenance
YZ - ouch!... we do oil changes every ride until spring snow conditions. The YZs are the worst... why... they hold very little oil versus the KTM / Husky. Why is this important... well someone drops the bike into a ditch with snow up and over the handle bars... airflow is compromised. Mid winter its common to get airflow interrupted when someone lays down the bike and hence fuel seems to make its way to the oil on at least one bike per tour per day. This thins out the oil ALOT. Since we don't change the filter everyday the average amount of oil out/in a YZ is 500ml / FC or SX 750ml / EXC 1000ml... so thats not the manual spec amount... that the rough amount that goes out and in on a quick no filter DAILY oil change. Those numbers aren't gospel but yeah its a BIG difference when a little fuel gets into the oil how much the oil thins out on each bike. The condition of the oil on some days makes me nervous on the YZ.

Engine Access... KTM / Husky it EASY to get to the top end of the engine to work on it... YZ HELL NO... remove rear track... seat.. shrouds... tank... radiator the list goes on... and then.... the ENGINE before you can work on the top end. Even just getting to the spark plug requires alot of work.

In short the YZ is a great bike... not the best... but great for the price. Maintenance wont bother you unless you ride ALOT. Watch that oil like a hawk.

Few other things to look for are:
- A clear petrol tank... it so nice to know how much fuel you have left at a glance.
- YZ (and others but not KTM) have a nice handheld computer to tune your bike for snow (sand!).
- MX bikes already have those heavy springs you want... add that to the bill for Enduro bikes.
- Enduro Bikes have that light you want... add that to the bill for MX bikes.
- MX - narrow gearing is always in the power but you shift alot more and you may run out of gears at the top end.
- Enduro - wide gearing you shift less but lug more... top end speed is nice. 6th flat out is unbeatable.
- MX loud / Enduro quiet(er) if that matters in your area.
- Front Air forks... collapsed mine early in the season!... running oil now!...
- MX bikes have more power...
- Lithium Batteries need replacement with Pb ones (YZ and EXC have more space for a larger battery. SX & FC only mid size and no kickstart.)
- If Lithium works for you... well.. I disagree... some people stall alot at the start of a tour and that battery gets a workout.
- Do you want to cruise long distance or mess around closer to home... jumps / climbs / steep side hills / dodging trees or exploring a long way into the backcountry...

Personally Im adding a 2017 500EXC or FE501 this year... best of 2016 MX engine but 500cc.. Oil not Air shock.. clear tank... and easier to do the long hours.... but the price OUCH$$$$$.

N
Dec 18, 2015
Reply inline below

I am ready to upgrade from my older YZ450F. The FX looks promising. I have read a few threads addressing speculation on how the new blue machine could/should work. Tough to dispute the reliability of the blue brand! Now that we have had some snow and the FX has been out for more than a month some reports would be nice!!

My biggest concern is the jump from 2nd to 3rd gear under a load. Is this valid?

Yes / No - riding alone not much of an issue... riding with others... yeah you can find your self between gears on this bike following behind someone. But it depends on terrain and riding style... and the situation in general... MX Narrow gears are nice and precise but a lot more work shifting!. Enduro Wide gears... alot more work on the clutch when you need to bridge the gap. Pretty much the same thing on dirt! MX vs Enduro riding style!.

How does the FX measure up to the KTM SXF/XCF and Husky FC 450s?

See reply above... new generation ktm/husky bike kills it on the snow IF riding aggressively... but install effort and $$$ also differ.
Again comparing MX vs Enduro.

I know many of the mods to newer FI YZ's will help as the two bikes are nearly identical.....What are the must haves? Airbox mods? Pegs? Thermobob? Engine Jacket?

Airbox Mod... Difficulty directly related to your snow conditions but YZ easier then KTM / Husky.
Pegs.. yes on YZ... can't buy any yet for new style pegs on KTM Husky bikes... so your stuck with stock ones... not too bad though.
Thermobob / Engine Jacket... YZ seems to warm up dam quick also exhaust wraps around engine so getting cold has been a non issue.. not here anyhow... -10 to -20C min here.
KTM EXC seems to have a thermobob bypass standard from the factory. SX&FC doesn't but no problems ... yet!

N
Dec 18, 2015
Batteries - Cold versus Warm Starts

YZ450FX - First time everytime (almost...) 6.3AH Pb battery. 99.9% Confidence in this bike starting.

KTM450EXC - Cold start 75% it will start cold on the first go... Same 6.3AH Pb battery.. often takes a couple goes when cold... Warm Starts reliable during the day. Had to jump start from external battery once this season.

KTM / Husky SX & FC - Cold rarely fires first go... ! Jump start required... hmmm 5+ times last season... 3.2AH Battery ... Larger Battery wont fit!. As a result for next season I'm installing KTM powerparts battery charging ports... which can also be use to jump start the bike... having permanent jumper cables installed should give you the idea about colds starts on these bikes....
But once warm .. fingers crossed... it hasn't needed a jump start all last season.. that said we put riders on the MX bikes that don't stall as often!!.

General rule if the electric start won't get it going cold.. neither does the kick start!. Once warm yes it will.... shame the SX and FC don't have a kick start!

A heavy battery is lighter then a dead snowbike... as for Jump Start Lithium batteries... keep them in your jacket .. warm from body heat.. its the same trick pro photographers use for camera batteries.

Grip heaters are evil... I've disconnected all of them... hands get a lot colder if your stranded instead of riding home. Just didn't seem worth the risk.

But when all is said and done... know the equipment pros and cons and plan for it... it wouldn't stop me from buying any of those bikes.

Last edited:

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
looks like the new 2017 450fx does not come with a kickstarter according to the net? The yamaha page does not specify, but some of the pics the bike has one others there is just a rubber plug. My dealer is not sure but says it most likely does not have a kicker, but you should be able to add it, (aprox 400$ in parts) but there is a slight chance the engine internals would not allow it, does anybody know for 100% sure if it comes with a kicker or not and also if not can you add it? I was wanting to be on an fx this year, there is a new 2016 I can get that has a kicker stock, id rather buy a 16 with it than a 17 without and have to pay to add it.

the best i can find is: "Kickstarter has been discontinued to save weight (available as an accessory)"
that '16 is looking better and better! the reviews above make me lean toward the ktm lineup, but for a 4 stroke I'm sticking with blue!

http://www.openroadrecreation.com/i...7-YZ450FX/Base--Regina-Saskatchewan---4356731

Last edited:
K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
Dumb question - what is a pb battery? I understand the lithium reference but haven't heard pb before.

Thank you!

Premium Features