• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Viper Stereo??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK Guys.
Whats available out there for SLED STEREOS??

I see lots of references to SOUND OBSESSIONS up in Canada, but when I visit their website there is NO mention of anything to do with sleds, though there are a couple of photos.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I found this quote in another post.
But his link also lists nothing at all about sled stereos.
http://www.whiteknucklemotorsports.ca/

We have been doing this for 3 years now on sleds. I won't personally build another sled without a stereo. Some will find it unnecessary but I don't like riding with buds. The experience of hearing music and the sled at the same time is unlike any riding experience, hard to describe. I can tell you it never gets old.

For a guy that hasn't spend a full day on a 2s in 7 years this was pretty cool. Snow wasn't epic by any means but we found 2' in the trees. I'm not going to get into the 4s vs 2s debate. I think we are all good on that lol. In video #1 I clearly am used to having more input to move the sled on my 4s. It ends of giving me the U-turn business.

This sled had factory electric start so the added weight of just the stereo would be in the 5-6lbs range. You wouldn't believe how many Pros we have done. For guys that cringe on the weight of adding a handlebar bag they sure think the stereo is cool to have…..odd bunch. The Sound Obsessions Facebook page has a couple Pros and a XM on it.

The can is the Evo stainless steel bullet. I didn't find it to be that loud even with the stereo. I like how it has a more growlly sound that is less annoying then the cracking of the 2s to a 4s guy. Has a Hindle type sound.

As for the stereo specs it is a JL Audio XD200 bridged for 200W rms to a 7.7" marine speaker. It's in a custom fiberglass enclosure that is removable so you can take the hood off. We use a source audio cable that charges the iPod and also has a 3.5mm jack as well. Volume is handled by a knob that controls the output of the amp. No head unit to deal with.

The halos we've also been doing for awhile. The hood lighting is just a strip of LEDs on the underside of the wings of the hood. Looks unreal when the sun starts going down.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
attachment.php

T
Oct 14, 2014
Do you guys thing bringing loud music into the forest with you is really that good of an idea? Seems like a good way to further anger those who don't think we have the right to be there in the first place. Probably not the best for skier/sledder relations...

Now I always ride with earbuds and music playing. I agree, it really enhances my riding experience. The comment that confuses me is being able to hear the sled and the music. I can't get my headphones loud enough to drown out the sound of the sled, I have always been able to hear both while riding.

I can say that I am already not thrilled with the loud stereos fitted to the side by sides plying the jeep roads around here. I just do not think people need to be cruising around the forest blaring music from stereos. Doesn't strike me as responsible use of the public lands.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I happen to live on a lake which sees a lot of wakeboarding and surfing both of which I like but what drives me nuts is these douche bags with 10000 watt stereos blasting their $hitty tunes across the water and into my kitchen and bedroom. Contrary to popular belief not everyone enjoys the same kind of music ie my music or your music. Don't get me wrong I love loud music and have played in bands where my ears dam near bled but I also respect other peeps right to not hear my music. Just sayin....

M5

C
Nov 29, 2008
X'3 .... invest in better headphones or install headphones in your helmet .... personally I'ld prefer no sound at all and can't understand why noise for the sake of noise is considered a good thing ...

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Not sure if this would be x4 or x5, but I've got to agree, spend the money elsewhere. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd start with suspension to handle the turbo and that's set up for you and your riding style. Then start at losing weight, not adding on to an already heavy sled. Just my opinion, but think if you need music on your sled to enjoy riding, you need to change your riding style to more enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Not really sure if I will go down this road or not.
But it "sounds" interesting I could see having some nice music rolling while I am bounding over the hills.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
i look at the one white knuckle did for the edmonton show & it was stupid loud you could hear it over everything in the expo center & there was a ton of people there.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Do you guys thing bringing loud music into the forest with you is really that good of an idea? Seems like a good way to further anger those who don't think we have the right to be there in the first place. Probably not the best for skier/sledder relations...

Now I always ride with earbuds and music playing. I agree, it really enhances my riding experience. The comment that confuses me is being able to hear the sled and the music. I can't get my headphones loud enough to drown out the sound of the sled, I have always been able to hear both while riding.

I can say that I am already not thrilled with the loud stereos fitted to the side by sides plying the jeep roads around here. I just do not think people need to be cruising around the forest blaring music from stereos. Doesn't strike me as responsible use of the public lands.

I know the elk & moose where I ride would much rather hear the long version of stairway to heaven while foraging for food in neck deep snow instead of hearing brap brap brap....

Curious, do some of you guys Tip-Toe through the woods too ? All the chit we do when were riding and guys are complaining about a little music in the woods....I think I'm going to contact the FAA and ask them to re-route there flight path as they approach the JH airport because those 25 flights each day all year long just just ain't right..

Welcome to the new age of the snowmobile purest . LoL

DPG

Last edited:

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
OK Guys.
Whats available out there for SLED STEREOS??

I see lots of references to SOUND OBSESSIONS up in Canada, but when I visit their website there is NO mention of anything to do with sleds, though there are a couple of photos.

The reason that Sound Obsessions and WKM are tied together on the stereo stuff so much is I am an owner in both shops. Started the stereo shop in '96 and involved in the motorsports shop for almost 4 years. To be honest websites are a PIA to upkeep and the consumer reach of Facebook is fair greater when showing product to a target audience. We also don't retail product over our website due to territory restrictions.

As for comments of it being something people should need....well I've heard it all, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't particularly like loud cans or the smell of 2s, but it doesn't offend me nor do I avoid it. In 4 years I have yet to have someone come up to me and tell me to turn it off, but i'm not an idiot either. You have to remember the sound is very concentrated toward your ears, you can't hear it a mile away like you can any sled, it's as loud as the person riding it wants it to be. I build those 10,000W systems but i can't control how people use them, or the punk kid that drives down your street with the windows down and bass pumping. But when you are on a hill people are asking questions about it, wanting to ride it etc. No one that rides one says it isn't cool, some say they wouldn't spend the money on that for sure.

But I can tell you what's not cool, and that's 4-6 dudes with 120k in sleds having a bite or a beverage huddled around an iPod on someone's seat.....and I see that a fair bit, which is why we started doing these systems. I've said it for years, 4 sleds with turbos and 1 guy with a stereo and who do you think gets all the attention at the cabin or bottom of the hill? I've seen hundreds of turbos, how many stereos and custom lighting has anyone seen? Any sled is just an expression of taste of the owner, none are for everybody, nor do they have to be. It's the beautiful thing about our sport, only the owner has to like his sled.

Christopher, feel free to ask Jim Phelan how he's liked his system we did for him 2 years ago on his MCX Nitro, so much so we are doing his new Vioer as well. You can pick Jim from Evo's brain as well, he's been around it enough. If you have an specific questions feel free to email me directly.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
For Turbos you can add a bass sub & amp into a modified seat.

DPG

We have done turbo 2s and 4s of all makes and models. The speaker and amp are always the same. The sub we have had in sleds at Haydays and most recently the Edmonton sled show on our M7000 build are just for shows. We never leave those on the riding sled. The amp is always under the factory seat for the most part except on Nitros we did them under the hood on the muffler side.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
it all depends on what music you play.a dude with a turbo sled rock'n out to katy perry just aint right.LOL

T
Oct 14, 2014
I know the elk & moose where I ride would much rather hear the long version of stairway to heaven while foraging for food in neck deep snow instead of hearing brap brap brap....

Curious, do some of you guys Tip-Toe through the woods too ? All the chit we do when were riding and guys are complaining about a little music in the woods....I think I'm going to contact the FAA and ask them to re-route there flight path as they approach the JH airport because those 25 flights each day all year long just just ain't right..

Welcome to the new age of the snowmobile purest . LoL

DPG

The elk and moose are long gone by the time the first 6 feet of snow has piled up. Clearly you have not spent much time in the woods... animals are not at all concerned with machine running in the woods. Animals are acutely sensitive to human sounds and smells. Anyone who has spent ANY time hunting KNOWS this DPG... We have been running equipment on the woods all summer and just completed tagging out on elk in the exact same area. All the morons were saying we should quit working because we were scaring the elk away... 4 bulls, 2 cows down and still one season left.

The animals do not care about your machine.

To each his own on the stereo. I just do not see the point when you can have the same music without broadcasting it. It is certain to be an issue if you get into areas with lots of uppity skiers. They would have the fuzz on the pass before the day was out if I ran one, no doubt in my mind. Not illegal of course but who needs that hassle?

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
The elk and moose are long gone by the time the first 6 feet of snow has piled up. Clearly you have not spent much time in the woods... animals are not at all concerned with machine running in the woods. Animals are acutely sensitive to human sounds and smells. Anyone who has spent ANY time hunting KNOWS this DPG... We have been running equipment on the woods all summer and just completed tagging out on elk in the exact same area. All the morons were saying we should quit working because we were scaring the elk away... 4 bulls, 2 cows down and still one season left.

The animals do not care about your machine.

To each his own on the stereo. I just do not see the point when you can have the same music without broadcasting it. It is certain to be an issue if you get into areas with lots of uppity skiers. They would have the fuzz on the pass before the day was out if I ran one, no doubt in my mind. Not illegal of course but who needs that hassle?

I completely disagree....We see elk and moose all the time in the Snake River Range...They often use our snowmobile tracks to travel since it's easier for them to walk on packed snow vs struggle through deep snow...When they hear the brap brap brap there on the move unless there feeding than the elk and moose could care less.... Seen this occur 1000s of time where I ride.

Elk Tracks, Moose Tracks, Skier Tracks & Snowmobile Tracks we all get along in the SRR.

DPG

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
. Christopher, feel free to ask Jim Phelan how he's liked his system we did for him 2 years ago on his MCX Nitro, so much so we are doing his new Vioer as well. You can pick Jim from Evo's brain as well, he's been around it enough. If you have an specific questions feel free to email me directly.

It was a conversation with Jim at the Snowshow that got me started on thus.
He RAVED about it.

Premium Features