• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Enclosed Trailers ?'s

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I have a few questions about those of you who have enclosed trailers. I know someone will say post this in the trailer forum but doesn't seem like too many people get on there..

Anyways those of you that have enclosed trailers what do you have what do you like about them what do you not like about it? Looking at getting some more info on some trailers.

Anyone have any opinions on the ATC trailers? Like the idea of the aluminum. Or charmac, pace, triton, wells cargo. And why do some companies not put the poly bead flooring?

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Start checking KSL out this is the time of the year when people start selling.
All AL is good, light, no rust, more $$
Steel heavy, rust (could get undercoated), maybe this day and age cheaper.
For both: get the biggest wheels 13 or 14 inch easier on bearings, marine grade ply wood, brakes (depending on how big of trailer) one piece roof, you can insulate and finish interior or buy one with, side doors, spring assist on the bigger doors, interior height at least 6.5 ft to fit rhino (resale).

Good luck

examples(I do not know your funds) http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15080069&cat=152&lpid=5&search=
or Loaded : http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=14629819&cat=152&lpid=3&search=

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I have a 2002 Haulmark 27' (22' to the square, 5' v). It has been a great trailer. It is steel frame and I haven't minded it. I just put my second set of tires on it, it has 14" wheels.

I have the taller version, I think it is right at 6' inside. That is a must. I wish it had a step at the man door because it's a bit of a step up to get in it. I wish it had fuel doors on both sides instead of just one side. It didn't come with flow through vents but I put those on. I installed "trex" runners on the floor to protect against the carbides and I painted the floor and through down grit to give it traction. I also put pieces of bed liner on the front and back doors to act as guides and to protect them from the carbides.

Front and rear door hinges must be greased often or they get stiff and don't work. I would imagine that is true for any trailer door. I've never installed any shelves or cabinets inside... I've threatened to, just never did.

My Haulmark has the rear tail lights in the panel beside the door. That is a good thing. I've got friends with them with the lights in/on the rear door and over time the wires fail from opening and closing the door.

As I said, I'm very happy with it, won't ever go back to non-enclosed.

sled_guy

G
Nov 21, 2007
Utah
Got a Pace 27' With the extra height. Agree with most everything said, but make sure you get it with 5k lb axles. Mine only has the 2 3500lb, and with 4 155's and all the gear, I'm pushing 6900lbs. Been thru 3 set of tires and had to have the axle straightened. Love being able to get outta the weather, long distance trippin, and keeping everything dry, plus no covers to mess with for those wet/cold days.
Grandpa

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
What do you have as a tow vehicle?
This will limit some trailer/tow options.

K
I have a 2007 27 foot haulmark and I love it. when I bought mine I found that haulmark didn't charge you for the color of trailer you want mine is black I'm not sure I would pick that color again. But I also found that buying brand new was cheaper then used and they hold there resale value really well. I bought mine from Gordons rv the owners name is ac and he is an awesome guy to deal with. He even delivered it to my house for me.

liv2play

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2009
utah
I currently have a 27' Charmac and its a nice trailer but my favorite was my Wells Cargo. They tow awesome, have a great floor and the hinge/cable system on the ramps holds up to all the abuse they go through all season long....Atleast it did for me. For sure, think about what others have said on the axle size, tire size, flooring and interior height. Buy right the first time and then use the heck out of it!!!

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I have a 21 foot traitor. Will never own a steel trailer again. It pulls easy and gets washed twice a year and after 5 years it still looks almost like new. I can fit 3 sled easy or a executive and 2 atv. Love the 6.5 foot height. In another 5 years I'll get a 27 footer, but don't need the extra space yet and I love how easy this trailer turns and pulls.

B

built4dtuff

Dec 17, 2002
Northern Utah
I have a 24'? Charmac snow sport. LOVE IT!! I can fit 3 long ones in loaded right plus 3 120's and all the gear. My last enclosed if I wanted to load three had to load them backwards and that was a pain plus more weight on the back. It's been awesome but I have ran out of room so my $.02 is get what you will need in the somewhat near future. I love this trailer and have only owned it for 3 or 4 yrs.

I had the floor sprayed with truck bed liner and it rocks!! spend the time on setting it up in the summer! Cuz winter time comes and you are too busy riding:)

What size are you looking for I will be selling mine shortly. Unless I get a good deal on my 4 place then I'll keep it for the dirt bikes.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
What do you have as a tow vehicle?
This will limit some trailer/tow options.

Its an 09 Sierra half ton crew cab. It pulls my friends 26' mirage really good especially considering it's a half ton. I know it's not a diesel but that's what I have. Wells cargo trailers are about the same weight as the mirage so I've been leaning towards that. I found an ATC 08 26' for 9,000. Like the idea of all aluminum just like you said it's $$$.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I have a 24'? Charmac snow sport. LOVE IT!! I can fit 3 long ones in loaded right plus 3 120's and all the gear. My last enclosed if I wanted to load three had to load them backwards and that was a pain plus more weight on the back. It's been awesome but I have ran out of room so my $.02 is get what you will need in the somewhat near future. I love this trailer and have only owned it for 3 or 4 yrs.

I had the floor sprayed with truck bed liner and it rocks!! spend the time on setting it up in the summer! Cuz winter time comes and you are too busy riding:)

What size are you looking for I will be selling mine shortly. Unless I get a good deal on my 4 place then I'll keep it for the dirt bikes.

How much was it To get it sprayed with bed liner? Loading from the front could you fit 4?

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
I'm running a Charmac tri-sport elite. All Aluminum. Can haul a lowered sports car, 4 harleys, or 5 sleds. Come by bountiful and I have my trailer and a decked out featherlite sitting next to each other and you could compare.

Also, ACutah has a totally decked out trailer, his interior set up is bomb with a boot rack right over the heater, a fold out couch, and lots of shelving.

Buy 750$ of stuff from pitproducts.com and the shipping is free. It doesnt take much to get to 750$

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
get a sled deck, way easier, nicer, less space. and you can still use the carpool lane!

i agree,
i have a 4 place enclosed and love it, this year i bought a sled deck because i am tired of dragging that thing around, i love the sled deck...
i wont get rid of the 4place but since i got the sled deck i wont look back
you can go so many more places easier with it than a trailer..

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Would a sled deck be alright on a 09 Sierra half ton crew cab?

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
if you put air bags on it yes.

having a sled deck allows you to get an extra 2 weeks of riding in. Or save your sled from riding miles of dirt and asphalt. Love it!

Or Helper/ overload springs.

Premium Features