• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A/c Dont pull a Yamaha...... tell us what these sleds weigh!

Ken Climb

Premium Member
Something tells me that the new m-8 must weigh more then last years or why wouldnt they advertise it? And the 4 stroke must really be a pig.
Chad at Cr racing built a lightweight chassis last year using the 4 stroke turbo out of a short track. He didn't have much to say, wasn't to impressed with it. He said the motor is super heavy due to counter balancers etc. He didn't weigh it but thinks the nytro 3 banger is lighter.
With the boondocker highjacker box he got a lot more power, but said it was nothing comparable to a nytro.
Hopefully with the new chassis they lightened the engine also or we will have nothing but a mountain Tank!

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yes, publish the weights. Weight is a critical component of performance and fun...which is why we buy these sleds.

K
Nov 27, 2007
2012 M8

Arctic cat has had seven years to design a new chassis and they cant make it lighter,if Arctic cat does not know weight and HP sells sleds they have a marketing problem,also new chassis and no demo rides?

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I won't sno check one until I ride....to me that is not a smart way to buy ANYTHING!!! I test drove my truck before buying, laid on the mattress before purchasing....Hell, I even sample my food at Costco before it goes in the cart! To me, this is a marketing blunder....

Ace

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I havn't had any trouble getting the weights.

The 800 Pro-Climb 467 and the 1,100 Pro-Climb 555 dry.

Owen

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
I won't sno check one until I ride....to me that is not a smart way to buy ANYTHING!!! I test drove my truck before buying, laid on the mattress before purchasing....Hell, I even sample my food at Costco before it goes in the cart! To me, this is a marketing blunder....

Ace
You laid on the bed you bought or was it a floor model, you drove your truck or was it the dealer demo? THESE SLEDS DON'T EVEN EXIST YET! The sleds people are riding and the ones you see at shows are pre-production prototypes, many of them partially hand built I'm sure. Arctic Cat would be shooting themselves in the foot by letting you drive their project before it was finished.

A friend went to an XP Demo ride in Mi and drove a 1200 the season they were going to come out, said the clutching was WAY off wrong, the thing was "barely driveable" I was told. Very negatively affected his opinion of what was probably a great sled. I am sure something minor was wrong and had they known they would have fixed it but regardless. If he was on the forums he would have blasted about how much they suck and "don't buy one!"

They know that the sleds will sell off of looks and their reputation. People are salivating for them. They don't need to host tire kicking conventions to try to convince those that aren't confident in their design so they can get a bad reputation before they even go into production. This is a smart move on their part.

As for weight, can anyone show me where Arctic Cat released and posted their own weights for 2011 before the season? Everyone is waiting for something that I doubt is going to happen. Someone will release them but who, the magazines? I am confident the source will be independent just like their dyno numbers are always cited "as measured by Dynotech".

The only thing I would care about is wet weight anyway. Ski-doo supposedly posts dry weight as without any shock oil!!! You can't ride a sled without fuel, coolant, shock oil, grease, and blinker fluid so dry weight is kind of pointless.

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
You laid on the bed you bought or was it a floor model, you drove your truck or was it the dealer demo? THESE SLEDS DON'T EVEN EXIST YET! The sleds people are riding and the ones you see at shows are pre-production prototypes, many of them partially hand built I'm sure. Arctic Cat would be shooting themselves in the foot by letting you drive their project before it was finished.

A friend went to an XP Demo ride in Mi and drove a 1200 the season they were going to come out, said the clutching was WAY off wrong, the thing was "barely driveable" I was told. Very negatively affected his opinion of what was probably a great sled. I am sure something minor was wrong and had they known they would have fixed it but regardless. If he was on the forums he would have blasted about how much they suck and "don't buy one!"

They know that the sleds will sell off of looks and their reputation. People are salivating for them. They don't need to host tire kicking conventions to try to convince those that aren't confident in their design so they can get a bad reputation before they even go into production. This is a smart move on their part.

As for weight, can anyone show me where Arctic Cat released and posted their own weights for 2011 before the season? Everyone is waiting for something that I doubt is going to happen. Someone will release them but who, the magazines? I am confident the source will be independent just like their dyno numbers are always cited "as measured by Dynotech".

The only thing I would care about is wet weight anyway. Ski-doo supposedly posts dry weight as without any shock oil!!! You can't ride a sled without fuel, coolant, shock oil, grease, and blinker fluid so dry weight is kind of pointless.

I agree with all of your points but can you explain to me why a company would release a product essentially 9-10 months before you can even buy it, especially if its not what you may end up buying, other than the "looks"....just a marketing scheme to start the salavating???

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
You people aren't listening! (HighTime is wise) Someone tell me what the Yami 4 Stroke mountain sled weighs?

Last edited:
F
Dec 30, 2010
Just saw a picture taken from a cell phone at the show, the proclimb 8 is right at 476 and the proclimb 1100 turbo is right at 600

G
Jan 16, 2009
Golden Co
just got back from the show, the reps from a/c wouldn't give a weight because they said they are still a "prototype" lol whatever. they did say the sled was about the same as the 2011 m8s. I tried to pick up the front of the three pro climbs and every one of them had broken bumpers! Very poor either on the set up or on the design. I couldnt even tell how much they weighed because i couldnt pick them up. All in all i thought the Pro rmk was still the winner. Also it looked like they are really pushing the m1100s. There 5 of them there and only 2 pro climbs.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Test rides, light weight and HP may be what sell sleds for some people but I think for the majority of people Reliability and a company that has a strong track record are going to be more important. As mentioned before these sleds don't even exist yet, so any weight would just be a stab in the dark. Cat doesn't have to offer test rides and kiss *** the way Polaris did because they have a proven sled the last 8 years. We all know the sled is going to be an improvement over an already great 2011 m8 the question is how much? I don't think cat is too worried about how many snow checks they get because they know when these sleds come and people do start riding them next year everyone and their mom is going to want one and be buying them at full mid-season retail price...

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
I agree with all of your points but can you explain to me why a company would release a product essentially 9-10 months before you can even buy it, especially if its not what you may end up buying, other than the "looks"....just a marketing scheme to start the salavating???
When would you release them to the public eye? The sleds are "done" but not finished. They have shown basically what they are confident they can produce for you in time for next season. Now they have a couple months before production starts for last minute fine tuning. For instance there was a photo of the sway bar rubbing a body panel on a demo sled. I wouldn't be surprised if the body panel mold was getting re-worked or the sway bar drawings were getting tweaked to resolve the issue in time for production. They have until production starts to fine tune things and thank god they are because it will only make a better product for us.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
The M800 better not be 467 DRY, that better be the crate weight Owen. Shooters 2010 M8 was 467 CRATE. I'd be just fine with that. As for the weight of the 4-stroke, although I know you know, I hope its a little lighter because I don't want to have to listen to Hilly next year say how he wants "LIGHT WEIGHT!!"

Joe

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
who cares what it weighs,the new turbo will smoke everything on the hill.everybody else will be sitting at the bottom playing pocket pool.

Premium Features