• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

YZ450FX Reviews and Helpful Setup Tips

C

Corban_White

Dec 30, 2009
Get one of these:

AG_MSA_10B__99475.1452815241.1280.1280.jpg

To go with one of these:

xp3-pps-usb-power-supply-jumper__14304.1469295973.1280.1280.jpg

From here:http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/

Other models also available.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I am building my first snow bike and here is a list of things that I have got for the bike

Yamaha YZ450FX - coupled with a 129" Yeti
Boost It turbo
Rebuilt front forks with stiffer strings
Hand guards
Heated grips (my hands always get cold )
Thermobob
Custom built lowered pegs
Seat concepts seat
2" riser (not sure if it will be tall enough, I am 6'2)
Tether
Rad guards
Larger capacity fuel tank

I am missing a head light. Not to sure if I need one as I have a helmet light.
I was also thinking about moving the foot brake up to the hand lever, as I rode more street bike then dirt bike and it feels more natural.

This will be a dedicated build.

Ive done pretty much same mods to my FX except the turbo. Ive got one of Neils turbos on my viper and it works awesome his bike kit should work good.. I put a hi-compression piston in my FX last season and had Chuck from lakeside port the head and it pulls better everywhere. I might shave some weight off the flywheel to get more bottom end snap and maybe look at some different cams. Im switching to the 129 yeti as well and looking forward to the new kit and the weight loss.
I have a 2" riser as well if interested message me I found it abit too high

Last edited:
B
Nov 1, 2012
B.C.
So is the IMS the only fuel tank option for the Fx? Also with having to make the front end stiffer is there a certain spring rate that works better. Or is there only on style of stiffer spring? Unfamiliar with the bike side. First dirt bike I've owned in 20yrs

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Many different spring rates available to accommodate different rider weights, load weights and riding styles/events. For snowbiking, most recommend the stiffer the better. The super stiff ones are a bit harder to find, so check more than one source before just getting the stiffest ones that one retailer carries or can order. Search around a bit. Best to revalve to match the springs but not absolutely necessary, but note that the valving on an FX is settup up to match the softer FX strings compared to the F motocrosser.

When I did my KTM EXC, I did both springs and valves because I was coming from the softest end of a stock setup. The FX is only one step down from a motocrosser. Maybe do the springs and then determine of you really want to dig in and do valves as well?

P
Mar 8, 2017
looks like the new 2017 450fx does not come with a kickstarter according to the net? The yamaha page does not specify, but some of the pics the bike has one others there is just a rubber plug. My dealer is not sure but says it most likely does not have a kicker, but you should be able to add it, (aprox 400$ in parts) but there is a slight chance the engine internals would not allow it, does anybody know for 100% sure if it comes with a kicker or not and also if not can you add it? I was wanting to be on an fx this year, there is a new 2016 I can get that has a kicker stock, id rather buy a 16 with it than a 17 without and have to pay to add it.

It does not but it is not expensive to add it. I just put one on, just in case. Ive had no problems with my 2017 FX as a timbersled. Just converted from a 2011 CRF450R

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
So is the IMS the only fuel tank option for the Fx? Also with having to make the front end stiffer is there a certain spring rate that works better. Or is there only on style of stiffer spring? Unfamiliar with the bike side. First dirt bike I've owned in 20yrs
No, you can get 2.9 gallon tanks for the F onto the FX but you have to move the battery and some of the electrical connections.

D
Nov 22, 2017
Thanks for the input!!

Sounds like gear ratios are a non issue.

For me weight is a not even a consideration in the decision between a KTM/Husky VS a FX. With the colder than normal weather we have had in WA the last few weeks I have seen the limitations of the electric start only bikes. Especially in the morning, bikes are cranking slow even with 0 weight oil. Guys are carrying the back up jump packs on their backs as a precaution.....those weigh around 6 pounds.

my lithium battery equipment electric starter only huskjy 501 has been starting quite easily even in -25c weather we had here. Any electric anything heading into the back country should have a booster handy, this goes for the pickup truck that gets you there too. Anyone can leave keys on, lights on and drain batteries quite easilly. Some jump packs are way less then 6 pounds and can jump a half ton pickup truck. for example 622g https://www.amazon.ca/Superpow-Star...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B074PX9CWS

D
Nov 22, 2017
First thing you should be doing when buying a lithium battery bike is putting that battery on the shelf and popping in a lead acid battery. Higher CCA, not affected by cold, but yes it does weigh a bit more (but is totally worth it, IMO). I've heard from multiple people that the holding the button and waiting for the battery to warm up is hard on the starter. Not sure why it's bad for the starter... maybe someone else can educate.

Oddly enough the jump pack I carry is lithium and even when it's cold as hell it will crank up a bike instantly. Must be something chemically different from a full size lithium battery?

my lithium equipped bikes has no problem starting in cold weather. I think a lot of ktm/huskies are lean from the factory so the hard starting problems people were relating to the lithium batteries was most likely caused by that lean condition and not the battery. But there is a start up procedure, your first crank with a lithium battery is not your best crank.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The low voltage output of Lithium batteries in the cold do kill starters. Even the bullet proved yamaha starters one the sleds were burning out when using lithium batteries that did not feed enough voltage to crank them over fast enough. This generates excessive heat burning up starters when cranking for extended times as necessary to warm up batteries.

Premium Features