• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 Honda 450

T

tube

Dec 3, 2007
Stony plain
What’s the deal with forks?

Can we just put stiffer springs in or does one need to revalve as well? Where would one get the springs from?
185lb ride with yeti 129.

Cheers

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
We just put stiffer springs in our 2018 CRF450RX. SKF fork seals/scrapers and neoprene full length socks. Rode it on the weekend - seems to work very well. ARO 137 kit

R
Apr 18, 2016
I think you can get away with just springs and I am by no means the expert but I am a big boy so my dirtbike gets a spring rate near where most guys snowbike spring ends up. The general rule with dirtbikes is you need less compression dampening when you up the spring rate and you need more rebound to slow down your new stiffer spring rate. I went this direction on my home done suspension modification with Cannon Racecraft springs. I did a little valve drilling similar to what seemed to work well for me on my 650R when we raced baja and then came up with a little shimstack, I used a few of my go to's out of my suspension box but mostly did a flip flop and I have been very happy with it. We rode last weekend and we don't have a lot of snow which left me dealing with 3 miles of whoops. I don't have TSS on my LT and mine still seemed to be working better than all my buddies Yeti's on KTM's with air compensaters BLA BLA. Mine is all spring no airpro and I took a guess on spring rate by seeing what others were running and their weigh vs what I normally run and my weight. Talked to the guys at Cannon and ended up close to my target with the biggest wire they could resonably make a spring out of and still fit...had to grind the guides and I coil bind at about 3/4 to and inch but thats OK because the fork mount sits there anyway. All and all very happy and my geometry is sitting on a 25 year old frame.

My buddies keep saying I need to drink the Yeti KTM Koolaid but the CR500 works and so does the Timbersled for about 1/3 the cash. I love the experimentation anyway.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I went with heavier springs in my KTM 450 with Yeti 129. I also have the Airpro setup. I tried AirPro only but I also am a bigger guy. I was running 20+ psi and I blew two sets of fork seals. The heavier springs went in after that costly experiment. I still use the AirPro but I only run 5 psi or less if I want to get a stiffer ride.

Premium Features