• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Melting heat guard

2014xm

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
I am running the j&t can and the gaurd over the wires and lines has been melted as shown in picture. Anyone have a solution or same problem was running full throttle all day last weekend since it was super deep. the stock heat shield that was on stock can is too long to go over this can. Any help

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 158
M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
I am running the j&t can and the gaurd over the wires and lines has been melted as shown in picture. Anyone have a solution or same problem was running full throttle all day last weekend since it was super deep. the stock heat shield that was on stock can is too long to go over this can. Any help

I'd make my own heat shield for it personally... possibly a little bit of new/extra venting too.

In the short term if you need to get out riding, I'd just swap the stock can back on for the time being.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You definitely need the heat shield. That's a bummer it doesn't fit. It fit back no problem with my cans. It surprised me they did have instructions to put back on with the cans. The closeness of the neck and that flimsy plastic guard is a recipe for disaster.

2014xm

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
Yeah it sucks. The can bends right where it hooks on so it won't fit unless I really make it and cut it up. Probably put stock can back on until I find a turbo that works.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
If you can modify so that it will fit, it probably will do the job. Or if you even foil tape that plastic shield you'd probably be OK. It's amazing what a thin layer of aluminum can do.

G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap
After a lengthy battle with heat management on my turbo Yamaha, I can attest the effectiveness of heat shielding tape.
Not plain foil tape, but proper stuff used for racing, typically from an auto parts store. You can get it in rolls and sheets, but it ain't cheap. The narrow tape is good for covering wire looms.
Also, as mentioned, header wrap, placed directly on the section of pipe will help too.

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA

That's disappointing, I was going to go with a J&T until I read this. Now I think I am going with a Precision Design and Manufacturing can. Here is a link of the install and sound clip

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VfYY0mno4WE

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have Diamond S and I know they are more expensive but they are top notch quality and don't seem much louder than a stock can. The heat shield fits on the throat just like it does on the stock muffler.

Premium Features