• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 M8 476 pounds...

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
It seems you are trying to justify the higher weight of the cat. If you shed something off of it (like a can) then an apples to apples comparison would be to do the same to the other sled. Even though the Pro stock can is lighter than past stock cans, the HPS can saves several pounds. If the M8 is the same weight as last year (478 dry) then it is 47 lbs heavier than the Pro.

Snowest has them full of fuel at a 8lb weight difference.......does the Pro have a 7gallon tank like the Nytro? Otherwise either Polaris holds WAY more fluids......or your beating a dead horse that was shot before the Derby?

I mentioned this in another thread, the word from 3 dealers i know(that were there) said the 1100T is 80lbs heavier than the M800. I was also told 40lbs can be taken off the 1100T fairly easily and we all know that boost can be turned up thanks to the aftermarket. Basically nullified the Nytro(ooohhh, I can see the bad rep now!) in weight and power(for most turbo users) will be right in line with what Yammi owners have been running(excluding the big boys) Now the only reason the Nytro is left in the dust here, is the cost of upgrading to a turbo(even though they have wicked incentives to buy new in 2012) Yamaha simply can't match the dollar per HP of the new Cat.

I hope my step-bro has a demo 1100T cuz I want to ride one in a BAD way........but my money is on a M800. Although it looks like I'm looking at a standard version since I really don't want/need floats(prefer Ti coils - hopefully RCS has something for the new sled) and the steering of the standard is close to the XP's which I've been riding since they came out.

And the boys that keep harping on the 2008 XP's.......you simply didn't have them set-upright, yeah there were issues with the rear skid and heavy steering but if your dealer did anything right, you wouldn't be singing that tune. Believe me, I set-up more than 60 XP's in 2008 and not a single one suffered from those two issues. Upper body control guys! The lower body stays relatively nuetral.........steer em with your upper bodies like a dirtbike......still haven't found a sled that handles(haven't ridden a Polaris PRO) as easily(yes you heard me right) as an XP.

The M-Chassis(no matter year) felt like I was riding a PWC, hang off the back and steer with your butt. Totally appreciate where the 2010/11 M8's are going and the tech they get into, but if I want to ride an old boat I'll jump on my mod and be 50lbs lighter and 20hp more than any stock bored(non turbo) M8. Really, my 1M feels exactly like my step-bro's 2010 M8 in that regard. I ride them the same way. The XP feels so much more üp to date" riding wise than everything else for me. IMHO(That reads MY OPINION)

Cheers boys! Hopefully I'm riding a new 2012 M800 153"next season! WooHoo!!!!

Last edited:
J
Mar 19, 2008
If i am not mistaken, the polaris holds a gallon more fuel than the cat. I think pro is 11.5 gallons, and the cat is 10.5. Not a big difference, just what i remember hearing.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
If i am not mistaken, the polaris holds a gallon more fuel than the cat. I think pro is 11.5 gallons, and the cat is 10.5. Not a big difference, just what i remember hearing.

This makes sense.......so a 15lbs difference when weighed with the same fuel etc. How has the fuel economy been on the Polaris 800's? Is there a reason they hold more fuel other than......they had the room?

Either way, everyone in my group fills em to the brink.....we all end up empty within a few KM of eachother......I actually rode off the Mtn last weekend with my spare fuel on my tunnel still....everyone else ran out.....guess I was sitting around watching more than riding....usually I'm the one out of fuel even before we get to our gas drop., let alone 40kms back to the truck!

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
This is kind of funny as it pertains to 1100T as my brother is at the EXPO right now and he said the A/C rep told him it weighed 530. He tried lifting the front end and could not get it off of the ground.

He then asked if they had any to demo and they laughed and said - " ya right , what you see on the floor is all we have here ".

He and I are pretty much die-hard CAT mind you.

So, he went outside to the Polaris area where the had 15 sleds lined up to demo ride. He and 8 other guys went out for an hour and my brother said IF he was in the market for a new sled , it would be a PRO. And he rides an M8 Cutler turbo. He said the ride was awesome, felt very similar to an M in handling , and the power was strong throughout.

A/C is shooting themselves in the foot by not allowing demo rides. And like I said between my brother and myself we have 6 cats.

well my m1000 is down to about 497 with a 162 and I CAN BARLY LIFT IT OFF THE GROUND!:nod:

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
I was watching the new sleds 11s drag race all day today 500 ft track, my conclusion is all of them are winners they were all so close that it was totally up to what the rider was doing, none of them were running bad they all ran excellent. I know this may not be the best comparison but it was a good look at what these machines will do and they were all neck and neck and it was really up too the riders reaction time and ability same as in the deep stuff, It was great to watch this today they are all good sleds, can't wait to see the 12 cat next year.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
None of this matters, Cats benchmark for a new chassis should be to bring this sled in at the same or similar weight of the comparable competitors sled weight ie: pro ride or xp, if they have not done this, they did not do their job.

We all know that 10-20lbs is not that big of a deal, but to see it on paper it is, this is what sells the public, "bragging rights"

Really, Pro Climb, could they bite off of Polaris anymore transparently.
Really... Does no one else remember that Cat has used Sno Pro just about forever.... Why did no one bitch when Poo named their new RMK the PRO?

I'm thinking Cat is more in line with their "Pro" name than Poo.

Premium Features