• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Suburban furnace install help.

R
Feb 1, 2015
I’m installing a suburban 40,000 btu furnace in my 4 place stealth trailer. The model of furnace I picked up is meant to be accessed from outside through a removable panel. Does anyone see an issue with just installing it from the inside with the only holes being the intake and exhaust?

I plan to make it completely removable from inside and the propane connection as well as the wiring will be accessible from inside and if I need to work on it a couple of screws and I’ll be able to pull it out completely from the inside.

Really the only difference I can see between the Two models is the propane connection being at the back instead of the front.

Thanks!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I was like you and couldn’t cut a hole that big. After some research I turned mine and ran intake and exhaust only through the floor. Ran that way since 2007 no issues. I built a baffle in front to keep road crap out, put a screen on to keep small guests away. Two screws to access for maintenance have never moved.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I’m installing a suburban 40,000 btu furnace in my 4 place stealth trailer. The model of furnace I picked up is meant to be accessed from outside through a removable panel. Does anyone see an issue with just installing it from the inside with the only holes being the intake and exhaust?

I plan to make it completely removable from inside and the propane connection as well as the wiring will be accessible from inside and if I need to work on it a couple of screws and I’ll be able to pull it out completely from the inside.

Really the only difference I can see between the Two models is the propane connection being at the back instead of the front.

Thanks!

I've serviced a couple heaters installed this way and had to cut the tin around the exhaust and intake termination to service the heater. The 2 pipes from the heater rusted to the termination fitting and the unit could not be slid out for service.

L
May 15, 2009
Know of a friend and he has his installed inside with only the two holes going out the side near the top. He hasn't had a problem with the installation going on over 4 years.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I put mine inside and mounted it on its side against the wall and ran the exhaust out the side of the trailer through an elbow. It's been in there for probably 7 or 8 years now.

No problems at all with the heater.

R
Feb 1, 2015
Perfect, thanks for the input, I’m going to proceed with mounting it from the inside.

I was planning to just buy a 15’ rubber propane hose with the proper fittings to connect the heater and run it in a way that it can’t get damaged instead of Runing copper, can anyone see an issue with this?

Thanks!

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
The way you are planning is how all the trailer builders install them. Mine was installed that way and works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Not all heaters are the same. Some can only be serviced from the backside they do not have a removable front panel for service purposes. Can you post a picture off the unit your going to install?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

R
Feb 1, 2015
Not all heaters are the same. Some can only be serviced from the backside they do not have a removable front panel for service purposes. Can you post a picture off the unit your going to install?

I can snap a picture, this one is only meant to service from back but all I would have to do is disconnect the gas, take out a couple screws and I could remove the whole furnace and work on it on a bench.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Like I stated before the exhaust and intake tubes can rust together or corrode together then you can not remove the furnace for service unless you cut the vent termination out.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
High temp antiseize can be found with higher temps than propane burns.
High temp silicone will also seal out moisture.
Both great for preventing rusted tubes.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I would try the high temp anti seize vs the silicon. The silicon losses its seal because of expansion and contraction of the tubes and flex of the trailer wall and floor.

Premium Features