• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Axys R

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
New tunnel design, lengthened the rear suspension arm and moved the upper rear suspension mount to get more travel "40% more!" New seat, new rails, 136 length and XCS skis are standard. The engine is still carbed.

cf8aa501663c1c81cc98263c7ad765ad.jpg
24bec4bdba22f54f121641ad4cd6eb4b.jpg
d50de5e7b7a4a1e254a8de43ce2d3fbe.jpg

Last edited:

AndrewAK75

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Anchorage
Sharp Sled. Hopefully it performs well this year...Kamm podium-ed tonight...... Polaris is the only manufacture still racing a carb sled

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
Sharp Sled. Hopefully it performs well this year...Kamm podium-ed tonight...... Polaris is the only manufacture still racing a carb sled

Ski-Doo really seemed to do their homework this season!

On a side note, the 2019 Polaris Racer is still the IQ chassis, just w/ AXYS body work.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Skidoo and Cat seem to have caught up with the R,they both seem to have the EFI dialed. Skidoo is going to be hard to beat this year as they got the holeshot on almost every race this weekend. Polaris might have to change their 14yr old chassis and 10yr old engine soon, its been a heck of a run for them.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT

Is there some advantage to running carbs for racing? Or is it just because they've been able to stay competitive with what they've got so far? You'd think, given how they've gone to EFI on everything except the old 550, that the IQR would have followed suit unless switching over wouldn't make much difference. No idea here, although I am one of the few who still likes tinkering with carbs...

AndrewAK75

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Anchorage
Is there some advantage to running carbs for racing? Or is it just because they've been able to stay competitive with what they've got so far? You'd think, given how they've gone to EFI on everything except the old 550, that the IQR would have followed suit unless switching over wouldn't make much difference. No idea here, although I am one of the few who still likes tinkering with carbs...

I personally think that benefits of fuel injection outway the benefits of carburetors and in general neither will give you more horsepower and have comparable fuel economy.

The benefits of a carb'd motor are that they are more affordable to tune and and maintain.....a few jets are cheap when compared to a laptop and fuel mapping software.

I think that the push of the fuel injected race sleds is based on the environmental considerations. In general carbs have a, "Bowl" of gasoline that is pulled into the carb assembly by a float valve. This process is not very precise and carbs are vented to the amosphere which allow for the VOCs to escape.

Fuel injection systems are pressurized, closed systems, that are very precise.

I'm not sure why the Polaris race motor is still carbureted, but i'm sure it helps out the grassroots, pickup truck, racers.

Dec 4, 2007
I'm curious why the other two manufacturers have chosen to use fuel injection on their race sleds and Poo has not. Isn't racing supposed to improve the breed under the harshest conditions?

AndrewAK75

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Anchorage
I'm curious why the other two manufacturers have chosen to use fuel injection on their race sleds and Poo has not. Isn't racing supposed to improve the breed under the harshest conditions?

I bet Polaris has some pretty sweet Fuel Injected motors out in testing somewhere. ...its just a matter of time before we see them trackside.

Premium Features