• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled Riot page 6

Fwd55

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2015
Laval , Qc , Canada
I was thinking the same thing only because I have buckets of floats laying around. The pump is a pia in cold weather and valving was never real great stock but they can be made to work pretty good and always nice to be able to document the shock pressure once you figure out what works for what conditions you can always go back to any exact pressure. Counting turns on a spring never seemed as accurate but may be easier than getting out a pump.

after the riot , tss , trio may be time for timbersled to parther with fox and airlift system to give us a light way to tune the 2 track shock on the fly

Climb mode / wheelie mode / crawl mode for road crossing and parking lot ...... That be nice

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
teal 210

you wanna weigh in on LE vs standard after riding one

two folks saying it's a worthy upgrade

thanks

M

MFJ

Jan 14, 2016
Has anyone who has been on a Riot also rode a CMX? Would like to hear your thoughts on how they compare since both are supposed to have that light, "playful" feeling.

teal 210

you wanna weigh in on LE vs standard after riding one

two folks saying it's a worthy upgrade

thanks

I did not get to try the IFP shocks, only the qs3's on the le kit. I have heard from people I trust that the IFP shocks are really good, better than the qs3's even. But if your riot is your only winter toy I think you will want the adjust-ability of the qs3's. If you have a sled or a different bike for the deep days then a standard model is probably fine.

With the qs3's set to the middle settings (which should mimic the IFP's) it was a handful in technical terrain. I was constantly loosing my balance and having to turn out of my line. I'm sure you can adjust to it over time and predict what's going to happen more than I was able to. It took me a full day to learn to ride my yeti, so maybe I'm just a slow learner.

M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
I did not get to try the IFP shocks, only the qs3's on the le kit. I have heard from people I trust that the IFP shocks are really good, better than the qs3's even. But if your riot is your only winter toy I think you will want the adjust-ability of the qs3's. If you have a sled or a different bike for the deep days then a standard model is probably fine.

With the qs3's set to the middle settings (which should mimic the IFP's) it was a handful in technical terrain. I was constantly loosing my balance and having to turn out of my line. I'm sure you can adjust to it over time and predict what's going to happen more than I was able to. It took me a full day to learn to ride my yeti, so maybe I'm just a slow learner.

So does the lockout setting or whatever they call it still make it a handful in the technical areas? Would be really hard to not hav tss on it but maybe like you said it can help tame it down? Starting to def lean toward the aro 3 now

So does the lockout setting or whatever they call it still make it a handful in the technical areas? Would be really hard to not hav tss on it but maybe like you said it can help tame it down? Starting to def lean toward the aro 3 now

I should have written all my thoughts down at once!

On the non-tss kit. I put it in climb mode and went into the trees to pull the steepest line that I could. It climbed pretty good, it's a different feel for sure but you can feel the skid work to find traction. It feels like the rails are following the terrain and getting the most traction possible. I then dropped back down and tired the same line in wheelie mode. I barely made it though the open area into the trees and I had to turn out. The settings make a big difference.

If you're a ARO 120 guy I think you'll be happy with the Riot. To me the ARO 120 never really worked, if there was a base it would go. In bottomless snow it just searched for traction and dug a trench looking for something to bite into. I rode a aro sx later in the day and would choose the riot over that kit without a doubt.

The riot is much more balanced and allows the rider to control the balance point. You can seat bounce off bumps and catch air, or lean back and plow through them. On the ARO it seems you pretty much have to just plow through everything. If you're a guy that stays on the ground and likes to cover ground than an ARO is likely what you want. Or a yeti :face-icon-small-win

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Snow checked!

Well I didn’t get the opportunity to ride a Riot in my normal playground in optimal conditions. Not For lack of snowfall ( it has been dumping here the last couple weeks!). The timing just did not work out with my dealer and now the Riot is somewhere in Wyoming.
That being said… I just snow checked a Riot!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
ride reports

there are some good ride report videos on the Riot on the net. After viewing some more reviews and listening to explanations for making the single arm rear suspension, I preseasoned a 2020 Riot. I do think its another good step forward in the evolution of snow bikes.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I was on the fence about snow checking one, I'm pretty sure the suspension is going to work really well pretty much like the EZ-Ryde did. The 4 year warranty is nice but the thing that has me sceptical is the TS track itself is just OK not great, the rail spacing, the 120 track length and the approach angle. Those things just don't add up to a good powder kit in my mind which is pretty much the only riding I like, hopefully I am wrong and it kills it in all conditions. It would have been nice if they offered it in a 129 3" version that would have likely sold me.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I was on the fence about snow checking one, I'm pretty sure the suspension is going to work really well pretty much like the EZ-Ryde did. The 4 year warranty is nice but the thing that has me sceptical is the TS track itself is just OK not great, the rail spacing, the 120 track length and the approach angle. Those things just don't add up to a good powder kit in my mind which is pretty much the only riding I like, hopefully I am wrong and it kills it in all conditions. It would have been nice if they offered it in a 129 3" version that would have likely sold me.

M5

Wish they hadn’t ported the track either. Hey Eric, if you don’t get a Riot i am definitely interested in your cmx track!

E
Dec 19, 2007
i was going to snowcheck one but got 6 days straight in row of neck deep pow last week and it slipped my mind and now its too late... do some dealers extend the deadline?

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I think my dealer was extending it until today maybe? I will shoot him a text tomorrow morning and see if he knows anything.

M
Jan 14, 2004
A little off topic here but in general I find the whole snow check pressure sales thing a bit frustrating. Ship some kits to some dealers so we can see them at least, geez. I know TS had a small outing down in the states some place but all in all a pretty lame effort IMO. There is nothing here in Canada. Its over $10k for a new Yeti next year by the time you have it in your shop, that's a lot of coin to lay out on good faith. If you aren't going to get your $hit together in the spring then offer the 4 year warranty and shocks year around. If the kit is good enough quality to be warrantied for 4 years in April then it should also be good enough in September after we have actually had the opportunity to view one in the flesh.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Do you guys think the extra porting in the track will cause it to lose floatation? Or do you think the weight savings and quicker spool up compensate?
I’m not sure that there’s any “extra” porting over the arrow track. Maybe I am wrong though. Anyone know?

S
Oct 27, 2017
Greybull WY
I’m not sure that there’s any “extra” porting over the arrow track. Maybe I am wrong though. Anyone know?
Looks like one port between center lugs on aro and two on riot... I know there's a lot of debate on ported tracks vs non ported on snowmobiles, but haven't heard much about it on snowbikes... Anyone have experience or input??

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Looks like one port between center lugs on aro and two on riot... I know there's a lot of debate on ported tracks vs non ported on snowmobiles, but haven't heard much about it on snowbikes... Anyone have experience or input??
I had the CMX 2.5 inch non-ported track on my 2016 timber sled and it worked awesome. Apples to oranges I know. The CMX had bigger stiffer lugs which I think was most of the difference. I remember the first time I tried to do a water crossing on my 08 skidoo XP with the ported track and my chest almost hit the handlebars. Ported tracks suck in water. In my mind it hasto kind of be the same with snow. It would be sweet if we could compare the two side-by-side in different conditions. Maybe Polaris did?

Premium Features