• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Ball Joints

J
Sep 18, 2011
Western Maine
Moogs are ok, check and see if Carli suspension has any listing for the 1500, I have the carli's in my 2500 and have had good luck with them so far. They are not cheap though. Another option is XRF, and possibly dynatrac.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Is this a 1500 Mega Cab? (Which is actually a solid axle 2500...) If so, Carli or Moog should be good. 60k mi is not too surprising for this truck if you live or drive on rougher roads a lot.

Another alternative is to put a moog lower on and use an SPC upper. They come in offsets, but there's also a zero degree upper. It is greasable and uses tapered bronze seats that should help keep it from ever getting too worn to work.

If you have a half ton 1500, then Carli is out, and I'd suggest that any quality replacement should be OK, but I'd also wonder why your balljoints failed so early... If you're running wheels that hang the tires way out, or spacers that do the same, you're just asking to replace more balljoints. And tie rods, wheel bearings, etc.

Good luck!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Hi! I need good advice.
Looks like I need to replace ball joints on my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie with only 63K.
Seems a little early to me as it was completely stock for the first 60K.
The shop is recommending I replace them with Moog's ball joints https://mechanicfaq.com/ball-joints-for-dodge-ram-2500/. Any other recommendations?

How long do you plan on keeping the truck.... Factor that into your choice.

Most of the auto parts stores offer a lifetime warranty part. I have installed a lot of NAPA premium chassis parts over the years with good results.

The specialty and custom built Heavy Duty options are clearly better, but at a much higher price.

Putting OEM parts back in will likely outlast all of the part store options, but they only have a 12 month 12k mile warranty.

60,000 miles on the original set is not out of line for these trucks.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I would bet the lowers are ok..
If you have a leveling kit then stock uppers won’t last..

Talking upper control arm’s

Google leveling kit/upper control arms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features