• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VE King Cat with M parts

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
Was this a sled factory.with diamond.drive or was it swapped? Looking at putting one on my thunder cat as I build it.more rider forward to move the tank.and.steering up.and.hopefully gain clearance for a 3" track at the same time

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
The bulkhead didn't originally have the diamond drive. It was an '04 570 Mountain Cat bulkhead. The driveshaft is slightly lower and further back than a stock 1M. We are much more rider forward than stock. We had to re-do all the footwell stuff in addition to the steering hoop, and I'm not sure how that would all work with the stock tank. If I were looking to do it again, I'd look at the guys that have done the Polaris Dragon seat/tank swap, and see if that gains what you're after for seating position. I'm happy with the diamond drive, either it's more efficient or our clutching on that sled is just a little better than our others, but it doesn't pull down as much climbing.

This also has a 2" taller tunnel, so that helped the clearance issues. We've got a ton of room under it.

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
Thanks for.the info I've never got.to tear into a diamond drive but like the idea of eliminating the Jack shaft and being about to mount it for clearance for a 3" if I go that way. Is there a bearing retainer of some sort on the other side or is it incorporated into the brake system?

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Thanks for.the info I've never got.to tear into a diamond drive but like the idea of eliminating the Jack shaft and being about to mount it for clearance for a 3" if I go that way. Is there a bearing retainer of some sort on the other side or is it incorporated into the brake system?

Sorry I missed the reply, I've been out of town for a few days.

0739-130.PNG

This picture shows the whole driveshaft system. The bearing on the brake side is incorporated into the brake caliper, and that mounts securely to the bulkhead.

The diamond drive side is specific to the ZR900 diamond drives, it's different than the ones on the M and F series. The ZR didn't use a bolt to hold the driveshaft to the diamond drive, it used a locking ball system, which you can see in numbers 6-11 in the picture. Depending on the diamond drive you use, you can forgo that setup and use a bolt like the Ms and Fs did.

Premium Features