• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VE Boondocker Front Bumper...Now TREE TESTED!!

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Riding in Revy this last weekend with CoyoteGirl :heart:, and she decided to "tree test" her VE Boondocker Front Bumper.

Dropping into Monster Bowl, she had a little get off, and the sled did a ghost ride down a steep treed hill, picked up quite a bit of speed, and center punched a large fir tree.

The bumper is now offset to one side about an inch...and...NO OTHER DAMAGE!! She rode the rest of the day, and the next!! The other riders with us were AMAZED that there was no damage!!

No pics of the tree, unfortunately, but here are some pics of the bumper, and the mount points (some have expressed concern about damaging the cast aluminum mount tabs if the bumper is too strong).

For comparison, here is also a pic of a Polaris Extreme Bumper, after a much less severe hit.

VE Tree 1.jpg VE Tree 2.jpg VE Tree 3.jpg VE Tree 5.jpg VE Tree 6.jpg VE Tree 4.jpg Poo Extreme Bumper Tree.jpg

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Brent
Glad Brandy and the sled are both OK.
Good to know that the shock mount bolt will allow the bumper to take a better hit.
I put the Extreme bumper on mine long enough to know that it wasn't going to last. Came right off and put a B&M Fab on. It mounts in the same place as yours.

Your solid lower tube is probably stronger but at least I know it won't just fold over like the pop cans that come from the factory.

Charlie

V

Vinnee

Dec 24, 2010
Brent,

When I saw the sled disappear out of sight into Monster Bowl and then the rattle of a 150' fir tree, I instantly heard the sound of helicopter blades! As I dropped back in, I reluctantly looked over at the sled as I passed and quickly turned away as to not envoke insult to Coyote Girls injury. But in that brief moment I knew that sled was not coming away from that big fir the same condition it went in!!

I'm amazed!! Not even a scratch! Just a bent bumper....... That has to be in the running for the best mod available?!

I'm so happy she walked away clean, but even happier we didn't have to deal with a pi$$ed-off Coyote Girl the next couple days!

Last year I ran my 2011 Pro (stk bumper) into a tree @ "0" mph! It was a "bump" at best! My sled instantly got 6" wider in the front and 4" shorter! It took quite a bit of effort on the hill to bend things back into place so we could get off the hill. Not to mention that it drove the stock support bracket through my new SLP pipe! Would have been a completely different outcome with the VanAmburg bumper!

Never like a tree test, but hey, someone's gotta do it! :face-icon-small-ton

Good stuff, thanks VE for a great product!

Last edited:

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
On another thread Coyote Girl suggested she had a tree magnet. This confirms it - Thanks for testing the bumper! It's always nice when no one gets hurt!

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
can you run a skid plate with this bumper?

I'm not going to give a definitive "yes"...BUT...I would imagine you could drill a hole in skid plate to match the hole in the belly pan.

PM me your email address and I'll email you the install instructions for the VE Bumper in a WORD Doc...then you can see what's involved (it's 20 pages with pictures for each step).

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I'm so happy she walked away clean, but even happier we didn't have to deal with a pi$$ed-off Coyote Girl the next couple days!

NO ONE wants to deal with that! LMAO :evil:

On another thread Coyote Girl suggested she had a tree magnet. This confirms it - Thanks for testing the bumper! It's always nice when no one gets hurt!

I definitely have a tree magnet... and am tickled pink at the diameter of trees I have been able to conquer with this bumper! :rockon:

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
When will it be available and how much?
Not on his website yet, or I am search challenged.

Premium Features