• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anything to spray on my xp intake to stop icing?

L
Jan 9, 2009
steamboat
I've currently got the nylon sock covering the foam on the intake of my XP. I belive this is how the stock '09s are. I did the flo-rite mod to the airbox, but still bogged a couple times yesterday when riding in over-the-hood pow.

Was curious if I could spray something on the nylon sock that might repel snow better/prevent slushy ice build-up.

thoughts?

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
I had the same thought, yesterday I put a few drops of ultra shine armour all on the rear half of the screen and left the front half untreated to see any difference. As my motor went down 10 miles from the truck I can't tell you if it works or not.

Armour all is pretty slippery, and water repellent, I thought it might work?

I will add, don't actually allow the armour all to dry in a film across the screen, I let it set for a couple minutes and gently wiped off the excess until i could see thru the screen again.

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
I would not put anything on the nylon cover. Has anyone ever got that stuff wet and tried to blow through it. It takes a lot of pressure to break through just water. Couldn't imagine something that dries on there. Not sure what the answer is but I don't think a coating on the nylon is.

L

LRD

Mar 27, 2002
Silicon spray should repel water. Doing a google search looks like Walmart has it in the auto department. SLP nylon fabric seems to repel water much better than doo's knock off fabric.

Good Luck

BC-XP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Kamloops
I think spraying anything on that material is going to limit the air flow thru it -> plugs little holes in the filter screen material.

I could be wrong, but it kinda makes sense.

I had the '08 screen panel, changed it out to the '09 style sock and noticed a huge difference. The bulge of the sock didn't allow the melting snow to sit there & ice up on the screen like it did on the '08 style.

Premium Features