• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Needle Shims

T

Theron

Dec 10, 2007
Anchorage
profile.myspace.com
Cant change the clip position on the 09 needles. I have heard of guys adding a shim but you cant add much as the lever that holds the needle in probably wont allow it. I heard some guys are buying the 07 needles that are adjustable. I have a set on order myself to dial in my RK Tek Drop in kit.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
How much are you shimming up? I removed my stock nylon shim and I am running two metal shims which took me from .76mm to .98mm. It has been working very well this year but I know people who run the nylon and 1 metal shim from Doo. Not sure of the measurement but it is higher than mine and it fits under the retainer no problem. I don't think you should have to go any higher than that with just a head. Sorry don't have the part number but is it in the parts look up on this site?

I.P.Yellow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
If you are going to shim the needles, your best value is to contact EGT (Exhaust Gas Technologies) and order their needle shim kit. Order the triple kit so in case you drop and lose one you will have an extra shim. The shims through Doo are way over priced cause you can almost buy the whole kit from EGT for the price of one shim through Doo. I shimmed mine .030 and the tab holding the needle in seemed fine. It is a challenge to say the least to get to the inside carb without dropping the white plastic shim. I dropped mine inside the carb and ended up taking the entire carb rack out. I was not happy to say the least.

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
If you are going to shim the needles, your best value is to contact EGT (Exhaust Gas Technologies) and order their needle shim kit. Order the triple kit so in case you drop and lose one you will have an extra shim. The shims through Doo are way over priced cause you can almost buy the whole kit from EGT for the price of one shim through Doo. I shimmed mine .030 and the tab holding the needle in seemed fine. It is a challenge to say the least to get to the inside carb without dropping the white plastic shim. I dropped mine inside the carb and ended up taking the entire carb rack out. I was not happy to say the least.

After you pull the needle out, put a small amount of grease on the tip of your pick or screwdriver-that will suck up the factory white plastic shim and keep it secure for ya:beer;

I.P.Yellow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
After you pull the needle out, put a small amount of grease on the tip of your pick or screwdriver-that will suck up the factory white plastic shim and keep it secure for ya:beer;

Trinity, that is some extremely effective and cheap advice. Thanks for the tip. I will do this if I have to pull her apart again.

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
Another thing that helps is to carry a heavy duty rubber band(the one from your kill switch works good) and slap it on the flipper when you want to play with the shims, then you don't have to reach down inside to get at them or lift the slide up with you other hand.

Premium Features