• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carfax for sleds?

S
Sep 27, 2018
Is there a carfax for sleds or a way to find the history of a sled? Have a buddy that’s interested in a sled that has extremely low miles for the age it’s in. He talked to the seller on the phone and said seller seemed awful shady. I was with him and he called the seller back and was sent to VM and the greeting of seller sounded like a cocky douche. Deal sounds to good to be true, I have the ViN of the sled and didn’t know if a guy could run a history report on the sled.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
No such thing for a sled. I work at a auto dealer and the only way carfax works is if the repair is reported to carfax it doesn't catch all wrecks. As others have said go with a gut feeling and walk away or regret it for along time.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
No such thing for a sled. I work at a auto dealer and the only way carfax works is if the repair is reported to carfax it doesn't catch all wrecks. As others have said go with a gut feeling and walk away or regret it for along time.

To expand on that:

In order for CarFAx to catch it, it needs to have a police report filed or an insurance claim made.

If I crash my car, take it to a body shop and pay cash to have it repaired it will NOT be reported. I don't know of a single body shop that reports on their own. Shops would lose business if they reported, people would take them to a shop that didn't report.

Service is typically reported by service facilities.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You weren't considering buying it without seeing it I hope. On a sled I wouldn't consider low miles an issue. We have several spares that have very low miles for their age, nothing fishy, they just do not get used much. Then there is the issue of repairs to sleds. I bought one I know had more than one major insurance repair done that the PO admitted to. Sled looked good so I bought it. Never had an issue with it and you probably wouldn't know it had been rebuilt twice if I didn't tell you. Then my new sled had an incident last year, needed a new bulkhead which means a new tunnel and it was completely rebuilt at the dealer on my insurance companies dime. Sled now has a black tunnel instead of green. I am sure I will be asked when it comes time to sell it. Nothing to hide though as it rides great and has no issues.

Sleds are not nearly as complicated as new cars and trucks. Repairs are often a part of life with used sleds. I sold my Axys with a replacement motor but was completely honest about it and had no trouble selling it. I never heard anything bad from the buyer so I assume all is still well.

Moral... Buying something with a story isn't necessarily an issue IMO. Dealing with a forthright seller though is important to me. Fixed is OK as long as the fix looks good and the seller is honest about it. I agree with the others though, if the guy is a douche, just walk away. There are plenty of sleds for sale.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
To expand on that:

In order for CarFAx to catch it, it needs to have a police report filed or an insurance claim made.

If I crash my car, take it to a body shop and pay cash to have it repaired it will NOT be reported. I don't know of a single body shop that reports on their own. Shops would lose business if they reported, people would take them to a shop that didn't report.

Service is typically reported by service facilities.

That has been changing.. As dealer CarFax is hitting you on migration of your repair orders and there is a quid pro quo if you do. ie, free carfax for sales cars if you do. We were offered this but NO way will allow that kind of control especially since GM would have your balls for security reasons. However, HOW many other dealers may bite on that? I have even heard quick lubes participating.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
That has been changing.. As dealer CarFax is hitting you on migration of your repair orders and there is a quid pro quo if you do. ie, free carfax for sales cars if you do. We were offered this but NO way will allow that kind of control especially since GM would have your balls for security reasons. However, HOW many other dealers may bite on that? I have even heard quick lubes participating.

We didn't report anything to carfax for a very long time. No service, sales, nothing. They originally wanted us to pay to REPORT to them. We laughed. Then they wanted us to report everything and give them full access to our database. We laughed again. We now report, we don't pay anything and they don't get any customer information. We also do not report our body shop RO's. It would be execution of the body shop if you started reporting. Why would anyone get work done here?

Premium Features