• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how does everybody like there xp compared to others in deep powder

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Time will tell for me I have a 06 M7 that kicks a$$ on most 800s including the summit xp's . Now I own one we will see.

I had a 153 06 m7 with racin station 800 big bore kit, jaws twin pipes and clutched. It would kick the **** out of and wasn't even a comparison to a stock m7. ran better then any m8 back in 07 I put it up against.
xp stock would outclimb the m7/8 I used to have. put a slp pipe and head on it and on off/throttle responce was way better with a little better top end. Cant even compare the ride of the m7 with holz brackets to the xp. Only thing I would give the cat was it was easier to sidehill and control during a side hill in low snow conditions. in the deep snow I like the xp much better. I think the 16" wide track really helps. The m7/8 had power. wish I had tried a 156x2.5 on it to see what it I would do before I sold it. Might have ben a different story on climbing in deep powder then.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I had a 153 06 m7 with racin station 800 big bore kit, jaws twin pipes and clutched. It would kick the **** out of and wasn't even a comparison to a stock m7. ran better then any m8 back in 07 I put it up against.
xp stock would outclimb the m7/8 I used to have. put a slp pipe and head on it and on off/throttle responce was way better with a little better top end. Cant even compare the ride of the m7 with holz brackets to the xp. Only thing I would give the cat was it was easier to sidehill and control during a side hill in low snow conditions. in the deep snow I like the xp much better. I think the 16" wide track really helps. The m7/8 had power. wish I had tried a 156x2.5 on it to see what it I would do before I sold it. Might have ben a different story on climbing in deep powder then.

I had 06 M7 w/ twins and the stock track and the 06 M7-900 w. a 156 x 2.5 CE on it. I didn't like the CE much and at elevation the 900 was pig, though both sleds were sidehilling fools. My mod m1000 SP that i had after that was better at everthing and could outclimb stock XPs, but not by a huge margin. If i pouched a little though i could really out climb them because i could be track speed into the upper 50s. Straightup virgin POW climbs though, the XP works DAMN good if its good clutching.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I have a dj clutch kit on my 154xp with a 19t top gear.
I thought the 156x2.5ce would of really helped over the 153x2.25c. it had power, just didnt' have the ability to go in the bottom less pow like the xp does. If you really keept your speed up and got a good run at stuff the m7/8 did ok. You had to be much more aggresive, keep your speed up, and get a run at stuff to keep up with the xp. If going slower through real tight trees it was alot easier to get stuck on the m7/8 then the xp.
I like the 154 or so length. I still have never owned a 163 or ridden one for a significant length of time. In riding with 163xp's I havn't seen a noticable difference in ability over a 154.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
this will be my first year on a 163 as well. i've always had 151 to 156s, but no longer. hopefully i liked the semi truck length! Thinking it should really be awesome in the deep!

C
this will be my first year on a 163 as well. i've always had 151 to 156s, but no longer. hopefully i liked the semi truck length! Thinking it should really be awesome in the deep!

I actually started regretting choosing the 154 over the 163 Quick....

I was talking to a guy who said you would hafta be pretty tuned in to even tell the difference on the 2 sleds without reading the track lenght sticker on the tunnel prior to riding it.

He went on to say that the 163 seems to resist getting stuck just a tad better when on a steep climp or uber deep powder.

If I could turn back time 6 weeks? I woulda bought a 163!!!

Last edited:

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
ya, that's what i've heard over and over. I just like the way the 154" looks. Guess i'll think differently when i'm climbing in 3ft of pow in tight trees and i'm albe to keep on chugging away.

K
Dec 17, 2008
penticton, b.c.
i wasn't sure about the 163 either, thinking it would be a bear to turn in the tight trees....not so!:D thses things are INSANE! i'm about 250 all dressed, and i can stop that thing anywhere, in deep snow, and when i want to go, i GO! these long tracks ROCK!!!:beer;

My 09 154 Xp was unstopable in deep pow and I just put a 163x16x2.5 Camo Extreme on it now it's gunna be insane. I wouldn't trade the Xp for anything in any condition. And you can't beat the snap of the Rotax engine either.

J
Feb 11, 2009
california
I actually started regretting choosing the 154 over the 163 Quick....

I was talking to a guy who said you would hafta be pretty tuned in to even tell the difference on the 2 sleds without reading the track lenght sticker on the tunnel prior to riding it.

He went on to say that the 163 seems to resist getting stuck just a tad better when on a steep climp or uber deep powder.

If I could turn back time 6 weeks? I woulda bought a 163!!!

i said the same thing this january when i bought the 154, but iam happy with it for another year or so:D.

C
ya, that's what i've heard over and over. I just like the way the 154" looks. Guess i'll think differently when i'm climbing in 3ft of pow in tight trees and i'm albe to keep on chugging away.

Luckeeeee......
Napolean.jpg

I put the 9" wheels on mine as well....Suppse I now have the footprint of a 152.5!!

C
I've ridden my new XP 32 miles on logging roads, man this sled has a smooth ride compared to the AC. The XP corners a lot better too, I'm still breaking it in.So taking it easy just putting some miles on, so fare I really like my XP. Oh we got 6 ins to a foot of new snow here in Bozeman,MT last night and its still snowing!

Once again......Luckee!!!

Small world. I do contract work for Marty Klinker and 4 Seasons property Mgmt outta Bozeman. Good folks up there!

J
Feb 11, 2009
california
I've ridden my new XP 32 miles on logging roads, man this sled has a smooth ride compared to the AC. The XP corners a lot better too, I'm still breaking it in.So taking it easy just putting some miles on, so fare I really like my XP. Oh we got 6 ins to a foot of new snow here in Bozeman,MT last night and its still snowing!

lucky, i wish i lived there right now:beer;.

B
Jan 26, 2008
Theres no snow up here in Canada and my 163 xp doesnt float in the pow very good And when there is snow snows always hitting me in the face any suggestions.:beer;:face-icon-small-hap

M
Dec 3, 2008
Grande Prairie AB
Theres no snow up here in Canada and my 163 xp doesnt float in the pow very good And when there is snow snows always hitting me in the face any suggestions.:beer;:face-icon-small-hap

have you tryed a pair of snow goggles. they are available at most places that sell snowmobiles and ski's or snowboards. there are many different brands to choose from. the most important thing when buying goggles is to make sure they fit snug( but not too tight) and have no gaps around the outer edge. a nice compliment to a pair of goggles is a belaclava. again fit is almost as important as style, so choose wisely.

;)

B
Jan 26, 2008
have you tryed a pair of snow goggles. they are available at most places that sell snowmobiles and ski's or snowboards. there are many different brands to choose from. the most important thing when buying goggles is to make sure they fit snug( but not too tight) and have no gaps around the outer edge. a nice compliment to a pair of goggles is a belaclava. again fit is almost as important as style, so choose wisely.

;)

Thank you I have taken your advice and purchased a brand shiny new 509 evolution helmet and Sinister goggles with polarized lenses I also have a Klim balaclava that ougt to do the trick snowmobiling in all that fluffy pow should be alot more fun now.

PGTDragon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2009
Lakewood Co.
I may have to call BS on this one guys, or at least to some degree. Stock to stock the XP does a bit better in the DEEP powder but my 08 would also trench a hole to dirt given the chance, faster than my D8 or the m1. After a Toms Evolution rear, a Smitty drop kit in back, dropping the front of the skid 1 1/4" down, it was a super powder machine,climbed right on top and stayed there. After a Holz front and rear on my 09 D8 it does just as well and the on board blow dryer really kicks it in the a$$. The M1000 no matter what is a nose heavy pig, but still fun to ride once in a while especially if you want a work-out. I will say I have huge hopes for the 2010 chassis changes and if the E-Tec does show I will sell the M1000 and get another XP.BTW the 163 is the only way to go I could put the XP 163 in tighter places than the 153 M1 and with less trouble. Just my worthless 2 cents

Premium Features