• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

D800 updates/break in oil

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Just had the updates done on my 08 D800 turbo sled. The dealer said they put in a pint of "break in oil" in the tank, and that i am supposed to run that in the first tankful of gas to break in the engine. I had a few questions.....

1) What exactly is this "oil" supposed to do?

2) Is this necessary or does it cause excessive wear?

3) Should i run the sled a little while at home for a few mins several times??

4) Also, what is the break-in proceedure on this engine?

5) I also did updates on my stock D800. Should i use this "oil" in it too?
Is the break-in proceedure the same for Turbo and n/a sleds?

Any info would be much appreciated....thanks :beer;

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
they probably just added some mineral oil or semi synthetic oil because it is "better" for helping the rings seat on the pistons... as far as break in goes... ride it like you stole it but make sure not to hold the same throttle position for much longer than a few seconds and stay away from being pinned for very long the first 10-20 miles... once past that point ride like you normally would

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Like Kinzer said it's most likely Polaris Blue that they put in it as synthetics (IMO) are too slippery to allow the rings to seat properly. I never break in a new motor with the Redline oil that I normally run after breakin for this very reason.

I used to run Klotz oil and actually lost a set of pistons due to the rings not seating and transfering the heat to the cylinder walls. This resulted in a cold sieze like condition where the piston took all the heat and expanded more than the bore of the cylinder would allow and siezed. I had heat cycled the motor 5 times before riding it and it still did this. Hense my running a mineral based oil on all of my new/rebuilt/re-ringed motors.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Heat Cycling a new engine

I had heat cycled the motor 5 times before riding it and it still did this. Hense my running a mineral based oil on all of my new/rebuilt/re-ringed motors.

What do you mean by heat cycling? Should i run it a few times at home before riding it. Let me know the proceedure that you recommend on doing this. This sled has only been run at the dealership after the updates (at least im assuming they started it up) and then started again to load into the trailer, but not since those 2 times.

Thanks....

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
By heat cycling I mean I started it and let it warm up to operating temp, then shut it off and let it cool back down and repeated 5 times. Since then I've taken a new approach, I put a mineral based oil (like Polaris Blue or any cheap 2 stroke oil) in and fire it up let the motor warm up good, shut it off and then gear up, gas up, whatever for about 20 minutes to let the cylinder and water heat soak into the crank and the rest of the motor. Then I ride it like I stole it. Off and on the throttle, no long WFO pulls for about the first 20 miles and then I beat it like a red headed step child. Works pretty well so far. I also heat soak it every time I ride (warm up and shut down for 20 minutes).

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I will do this proceedure a few times at home too before the riding season starts. Nothing like inhaling a little race gas exhaust to get the 'ole blood a pumpin', and the throttle thumb itching :D

I appreciate your input!

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
pre-mix after break-in

one other thing....

Looking for input on pre-mixing on this turbo sled. Last season (before the updates) i pre-mixed Injex 66 (petroleum/synthetic blend) 100:1 in the gas tank and Redline oil in the oil tank.

Any feedback on this?...good?.....bad? Doesnt matter?

Thanks!

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Close to doesn't matter and possibly a small help but remember when doing both that oil takes the place of gas and to much is actually leaning the mixture 100; to 1 is very safe thou, about break in remember to get water temp to 160 for a short run then shut er down for the night do it 3 nights in arow . but the track and slides need lube during this,( dish soap and garden hose)

Premium Features