• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best/Lightest Carbon Fiber helmet

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Looking for the lightest lid and best goggle set up. New Ski-Doo Carbon seems light and nice, also heard good things about Airoh.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Super happy with my motorfist Alpha. It's super light and has actual safety features/designs beyond just keeping your head from directly impacting the ground...something 90% of helmets lack

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Motorfist Alpha. Make sure you try one on. They are sweet, but they either fit you or they dont. Kind of a different shape to them and they dont fit for me regardless of what size I try on. Eric

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Airoh helmets are awesome and I think they are about as light as they get. I got unloaded at over 70 MPh, last year, and broke some stuff
I can't find matching parts. Order extra visors with your helmet. That is the only downside. It came from overseas.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Soumy helmet. So light. And okley goggles. Even when I get stuck I leave the goggles on and they don't fog up.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I wear 509, weighs 1100 grams, its ok, but ive got nothin to compare it to. Im ditchin the junk prehistoric 509 goggles for good modern tech like the oakley airbreak, im hoping they will work with my lid. Check out the oakley line, looks impressive.

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
Super happy with my motorfist Alpha. It's super light and has actual safety features/designs beyond just keeping your head from directly impacting the ground...something 90% of helmets lack

Another vote for the Alpha, 30% smaller in size. No frills, extremely light and compact like a downhill helmet.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Best thing you can do is get out there and try on as many as possible with different goggle combinations. In fact try different websites and ask about return policies. Once you get a helmet to fit right and a goggle that seems to fit, hopefully it works.

When it comes to helmets, I think a lot of people just go by what people say to buy. It really comes down to trying to find what fits and works for each person, it's like buying shoes, everyone is different and what works for this person may or may not work the next person.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
GOTTA put my plug in for the MotorFist Alpha.

Have a full season on it.
Very durable.
Vented well.
ULTRA LIGHT!!! Lightest there is, I believe, unless you start looking at those ultra thin (and skimpy) carbon fiber mountain bike helmets. If there is a MX style helmet that weighs less, I'd like to see it.

No true C/F helmet is "cheap". Shop wisely. Try them all on. Find the one that feels best on YOUR bean.
The MotorFist Alpha is $150 off right now. Down to $350.
http://motorfist.com/alpha-helmet/20607-05/product/

www.motorfist.com
#ridedry
#motorfist
#feedtheobsession

:)

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Another vote for the motorfist alpha. Its been said but I'll say it again, try em on and get the one that feels best on your head. Everyones melons are different along with the way the helmet fits. Make sure you get one that you really like. Helmets aren't throw away items like gloves and boots which last i've found to last for about 2 years. A helmet should last years and years. Oh and carbon helmets aren't cheap either, so be sure to shop around.

Having a lightweight helmet rocks by the way. So much less strain on your neck and back.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I'll 3rd the "try it on" for fit comment.

It really seems like all of the brands are starting to fit a bit "unique". I love the 509 Carbon fiber stuff and have a few years on mine now. Very happy with the quality of it.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have an Airoh Aviator and a Motorfist Alpha. The Motorfist Alpha is definitely the best helmet on the market for impact protection, and the physical size of it makes it feel lighter even though they both weigh the same. Only downfall is the Alpha is uncomfortable. Too round, needs more of an oval shape for my head at least. Also needs more padding.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
I will be trying a suomy mr jump this year. I wish a motorfist helmet would fit me or I would be wearing one of those. I have a more oval head. Helmets don't last for ever the cold and heat are hard on the eps liner. I think 5 to 7 years with no major impact is a good rule of thumb

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
GOTTA put my plug in for the MotorFist Alpha.

Have a full season on it.
Very durable.
Vented well.
ULTRA LIGHT!!! Lightest there is, I believe, unless you start looking at those ultra thin (and skimpy) carbon fiber mountain bike helmets. If there is a MX style helmet that weighs less, I'd like to see it.

No true C/F helmet is "cheap". Shop wisely. Try them all on. Find the one that feels best on YOUR bean.
The MotorFist Alpha is $150 off right now. Down to $350.
http://motorfist.com/alpha-helmet/20607-05/product/

www.motorfist.com
#ridedry
#motorfist
#feedtheobsession

:)

Airoh aviator is lighter and fit is awesome. Xl is as big as they go.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Pretty sure this is the same helmet as the alpha FWIW

http://www.btosports.com/p/kali-protectives-prana-carbon-rip-helmet
Same manufacturer but something is different, it weighs 1250g alpha is 1000g

The alpha is a round helmet instead of oval.
2232d0edfcf02f677b20557d4509f37e.jpg

But it is so light and small, my neck no longer hurts after a days ride.
GS6

Last edited:
Premium Features